550d kit 1 or 2 or other lens?

infinitychal

Aug 28, 2010
hi all,

i am looking to get a 550d and for starters i would like to know whether should i get
kit1 or kit 2 or as some users have suggested to get 550d body with tamron 17-55 f2.8 lens instead.

i understand that kit 2 lens covers more range than kit 1...

can anyone explain which of the lens should i get for starters? thanks!

another question would be..

if i were to get 550d kit 1 lens and additional 55-250 lens, is it not recommended because then i would have to switch btw both lens?

another question would be..

if i were to get 550d kit 1 lens and additional 55-250 lens, is it not recommended because then i would have to switch btw both lens?

Then what about most of us who have more than 3 lenses, does that mean that it is not recommended we switch lenses? Its OK to switch lenses, but there are precautions you have to take care of, especially as a beginner, you don't want to introduce dust (yikes) into your camera's sensor! As such, beginning with 1 or 2 lenses or even 1 like the 18-200 is just as fine.

As a beginner, you still don't know what sort of genre you like to shoot, so with a versatile lens with a wide focal range of between 18mm to 200mm, should be good enough.

As a beginner, very recommended that you get very well acquainted with your lens first, so that when you want to upgrade, you know what is lacking in your existing lens to be able to justify not only in terms of economics but as well as image quality.

HTH.

PS: IMHO, bet Kit II.

i am looking to get a 550d and for starters i would like to know whether should i get
kit1 or kit 2 or as some users have suggested to get 550d body with tamron 17-55 f2.8 lens instead.
It's Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. The 17-55 is the Canon EF-S lens which costs much more.
can anyone explain which of the lens should i get for starters? thanks!
Get only the kit lens. If you have no clue what the lenses are about why would you spend money on them? Just because it's a supposedly cheaper deal on paper when getting both lenses? Do you buy first and think later what to do with the lens?
Learn to walk, get the basics right, see what kind of style you are in. Then get the lens(es) that you need and can afford. If you need a certain focal length that your kit lens cannot cover then you can still rent the lens. Cheaper than buying and you have a wide selection.
Changing lenses is normal when using SLR cameras. Use the lens that fits the purpose. Don't get scared about dust. Most cameras have a dust removal function. Learn to use a blower for stubborn dust. For everything else there is a Service Center. Costs less than 25 bucks.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have the same concern. was looking at 550d with kit II (18-135mm). But after reading some posts in other parts of this forum, quite a number said that if we want to cut down on bulk (esp when travelling on holidays overseas), can consider instead the 18-200mm (canon) or 18-270mm (tamron). so we only need to carry one lens type with versatile lens range. means instead of buying the package offered currently, can consider buy separately - body (quoted $1060 from a shop in funan) and 18-200mm lens (canon) @ $1000. is this advisable? thanks.

Didn't you just post in the Canon subforum?

me? no i didnt. this is my first post about this camera.

Was refering to Ts, he posted one in the Canon subforum.

Welcome to CS.

I encourage you to read more online, and join some newbie outings under the Outings subforum.

Good start here:

Camera basics
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/10-top-photography-composition-rules
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-composition-tips

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Generally can forget the kit lens, most sell off their after their basic learning curve.

The tamron 17-50 f2.8 is good bang for buck for beginners to try exploring fast lens with larger aperture

Try those 18-200mm lens if you are more into focal length variation