550D built in flash unable to pop up

Skull91

Sep 10, 2010
Hi all, my built in flash was unable to pop up aft using my newly brought di866 flash.
Inside the menu flash control, under built in flash func, always showing "this menu cannot be displayed, external flash is attached". But actually there is no external flash attach to it
Anyone encounter this problem before, pls help..

Hi all, my built in flash was unable to pop up aft using my newly brought di866 flash.
Inside the menu flash control, under built in flash func, always showing "this menu cannot be displayed, external flash is attached". But actually there is no external flash attach to it
Anyone encounter this problem before, pls help..
uh-oh...

:sweat:

try resetting the camera?
Perhaps completely power it off by removing the batteries. Then place it back and try attach-remove the Nissin again.

If still cannot solve, sounds like you need a trip to CSC.

Check the pin under the hotshoe spring. Is it stuck?

TS, this is a common problem with Canon DSLRs. Nothing to do with your Nissin flash.

On the right side of the hotshoe, look carefully you can see a small piece of metal strip and under that is a small black color plastic trigger. Just take a sharp pin and push the metal piece upwards, as its pressing down on the trigger which cause the camera to think that an external flash has been attached.

Edit - right side for 550D. Not sure of your model. If its not right, its left. :p

Last edited:
TS, this is a common problem with Canon DSLRs. Nothing to do with your Nissin flash.

On the right side of the hotshoe, look carefully you can see a small piece of metal strip and under that is a small black color plastic trigger. Just take a sharp pin and push the metal piece upwards, as its pressing down on the trigger which cause the camera to think that an external flash has been attached.

Edit - right side for 550D. Not sure of your model. If its not right, its left. :p

:eek:
interesting to note.
Luckily it's a quick fix :)

Originally Posted by Jango

Hey Jango, You are rite on it.
After pushing back the metal strip on the right side, my pop up flash works again.
Really thank you so much to u all.
Cheer :)

Last edited:
waaa.. how come so jia lat one ar.... sound so erm... prehistoric...