55-58mm 0.5-0.7x converter on 52mm lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
I'm soon to own a Canon A590IS (takes a 52mm lens adapter), and I currently have a seldom used 18-55mm Pentax D-SLR lens (52mm filter thread).

As the A590Is only goes down to 35mm wide on the zoom range, I am thinking of getting a 0.5-0.7mm converter (pref. Raynox) to bring this down to a wide 24-28mm.
Along the way, since I don't yet have a wide angle DSLR lens, the intention is to use this on the 18-55mm for wide angle duty.

Now the A590IS takes a 52mm lens adapter and the 18-55mm takes a 52mm as well. But seems like the Raynox wide angles are all 55-58mm (specifically Raynox 6600 and 7000). I'm trwing to avoid using the Raynox 720 since it does not take filters (no thread). Are there going to be issues with me using a 52/55 or 52/58mm adapter ring to take the wide angle adapters?

Thanks in advance.

i dun think there is a issue to use a step-up ring as its juz an adapter to match the thread. so what is ur main concern here? but the Raynox seems big in term of build and optics, known to have low distortion.

i dun think there is a issue to use a step-up ring as its juz an adapter to match the thread. so what is ur main concern here? but the Raynox seems big in term of build and optics, known to have low distortion.

Main concern is image distortion or vignetting. Not sure if light focused from the larger diameter adapter into a smaller diameter lens will be of any concern.

i am using canon g2 + tube (takes 52mm filter) + step up ring (52-55mm) + oly 0.7x wcon (55mm mount). so far so good.

Thanks for replying to this thread.

I managed to get a Raynox HD6600 x0.66 converter.
On my 18-55 kit lens, there is some vignetting on the widest end (18mm), and I have to zoom to around 21mm to be clear of it. End result is a wide ~22mm (35mm equivalent) using the converter. Great field of view and perception of depth due to the wide angle.

I'm still playing around with it, but images seem to be soft on the sides and gets much better when stopped down to f8 to f11.

Anyone can share experiences/tips on how to keep the images relatively sharp on the corners/sides?

Status
Not open for further replies.