55-200 mm VR Nikkor + D40

Status
Not open for further replies.

djacob

Feb 28, 2007
Hi got the camera after repair. Went to Botanic Gardens today after noon.

DSC_0555.jpg

DSC_0564.jpg

DSC_0598.jpg

DSC_0620.jpg

Lens Performance : You decide ;)
Lens Price : 410 SGD (bought last week, with GST from John).

No PP at all.

Wah nice pics! Thank goodness i bought the lens at cathay...can't wait for exams to be over so i can go out and make use of this great lens!

awesome.. what happened arh.. how come must repair ;p ;p

i've not gotten myself a telephoto lense... might be getting one soon..

Thanks for ur kind words. Repaired d40 not lens. bcos of lcd was scratched..that all...

PP means post processing (sharpening the image, increase highlight, saturation, make photo glow etc using a software, eg. Picasa )

What I meant is I haven't used any software for the above tasks..all the images are straight out the camera.

I havent used a tripod. The lens - 55-200 mm VR Nikkor - I used is a VR (Vibration Reduction) so it will give an advantage in setting shutter speeds (means I can use lower shutter speed)

Looks good! BBB sydrome creeping up on me!!! Was thinking about the 18-200 but no budget la...

Hi got the camera after repair. Went to Botanic Gardens today after noon.

Lens Performance : You decide ;)
Lens Price : 410 SGD (bought last week, with GST from John).

i like the #3 picture color ... #4 color wise look dull ?

Nice shots.

Bought my 55-200mm VR 2 weeks back from CP ($399 incl GST) but so far not been able to tes it extensively yet.

help me:

technicalities aside, is this lens sharper than the 18-200VR?
say i always use the 100mm focal length. shld i get this instead of the 18-200VR for travelling, while carrying around a 18-55mm kit lens?

thanks!

regards,
jizeng

get the 18-200 for travel if you can afford it. It is always better to have such a lens for travel, save the hassles of changing lenses.

hi guys, i was trying to find some information on what is the equivalent of the vision of the human eye to the focal length of lenses.. ie at how many mm focal length is the zoom considered 100%? i heard some say that 50mm is the equivalent so 200mm is 4x optical zoom. yet some say 35mm. i read online that it depends on the size of the sensor on the camera.

not really sure how to put it in words.. hope you can advise.

thanks..

hi guys, i was trying to find some information on what is the equivalent of the vision of the human eye to the focal length of lenses.. ie at how many mm focal length is the zoom considered 100%? i heard some say that 50mm is the equivalent so 200mm is 4x optical zoom. yet some say 35mm. i read online that it depends on the size of the sensor on the camera.

not really sure how to put it in words.. hope you can advise.

thanks..
50mm lens is equivalent of the vision of human eye for 35mm film camera. For digital, it is about 35mm (35mmx1.5=52.5mm equivalent to 35mm film camera).

Regards,
Arto.

50mm lens is equivalent of the vision of human eye for 35mm film camera. For digital, it is about 35mm (35mmx1.5=52.5mm equivalent to 35mm film camera).

Regards,
Arto.

However, perspective-wise, the 50mm still retains its human vision designation. Look through the VF with the 50mm mounted with one eye, then open the other eye. :what: Haha.

PP means post processing (sharpening the image, increase highlight, saturation, make photo glow etc using a software, eg. Picasa )

What I meant is I haven't used any software for the above tasks..all the images are straight out the camera.

I havent used a tripod. The lens - 55-200 mm VR Nikkor - I used is a VR (Vibration Reduction) so it will give an advantage in setting shutter speeds (means I can use lower shutter speed)

Hi, djacob
May I know what mode did U set when you took those nice pictures ?? Auto, P or others.
I also own 1 D40 and might think of getting 55-200 mm lens...Tks

i am using aperture priority mostly, with vivid. But in vivid mode there is a chance that violets and reds are blown out so use it carefully in a bright day. i think i have used exposure setting as -3. i don't remember correctly.

another funny thing : pictures are better in D40 when compared to D80 (in my humble opinion, not to start a flame war) as lower grade lens will perform better in d40 bcos of less mps. :)

i am using aperture priority mostly, with vivid. But in vivid mode there is a chance that violets and reds are blown out so use it carefully in a bright day. i think i have used exposure setting as -3. i don't remember correctly.

another funny thing : pictures are better in D40 when compared to D80 (in my humble opinion, not to start a flame war) as lower grade lens will perform better in d40 bcos of less mps. :)

Actually, I kinda agree that 6mp->10mp doesnt really help a lot..
I went fr a d70s to a d80, hmmm, well, yea, I STILL required the subj to fill the same amount of the frame to extract the same amt of detail.

decent shots you have there btw..

However, perspective-wise, the 50mm still retains its human vision designation. Look through the VF with the 50mm mounted with one eye, then open the other eye. :what: Haha.

haha.. sounds like a good way to test.

Thanks Arto, i heard some sources quoting 50mm while others 35mm.. just needed to be sure ;)

haha.. sounds like a good way to test.

Thanks Arto, i heard some sources quoting 50mm while others 35mm.. just needed to be sure ;)

No, it's not a good way to test because the viewfinder also has a certain magnification.

Status
Not open for further replies.