52MM WIDE ANGLE LENSES by stein zeiser - $150 ; good deal ? :S

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarallox

Dec 16, 2009
seletar !
Hey all ,
will be heading overseas soon and i've been fiddling with my kit lenses for over.. 2years now.
im thinking of getting new lenses - wide angle. will be travelling so i'd needa upgrade !

so i was at lucky plaza and decided to check some shops out, (i ended up at only 1 shop anw). wanted to sell me this wide eye lens, says it's 2 in 1 (with macro + wide angle) .

199 initially, dropped to 180 since im the last customer, and 150 eventually .... which i didnt buy because i was skeptical, of course. and lens was made in Germany .. stein zeiser - have you guys heard of that brand ?

so anyway i've got questions, before i make my purchase .

1) Is stein zeiser a reliable brand ?
2) How much should it cost approximately ?
3) Where's the best places to get them ! (i've actually read up a lillll bit - funan; alan / john 3:16 , right?? )
4) okay so lets say i dont get those lens, which do you think is the best for mmm fun shots ? i guess i like to take living things, and landscapes of course since travelling is all about the statues and mountains. and i love taking pictures of my daily outfits as well ..

thanks so much guys, and girls. will appreciate tons of suggestions and replies !

xx T

correct me if i'm wrong, this is the screw-on convertor? if yes, $150 is a true rip off. this lens selling price is just around $40 - $60.

:nono:u have not been reading much lor...

research, research, more research!

dun get con!

I only Stein Zeiser is a brand which manufacture filters and some bags..
Tele-converters, I'm not too sure.

I think what the shop is pushing you is those 0.5x wide-angle converter. (like this one below)
productimg1235874219544.jpg

If it's this one, they're chopping you big time! :sweat:
Actually, this costs less than $100..

Last edited:
i personally tink should be referring to wide-angle converter instead of wide-angle lens...
how can 52mm by wide-angle for lens? below 20mm then consider wide-angle mahz...

there's more than meet the eye, hehe~!

if it is a wide-angle converter, whoever bought it at 150 bucks, must be a carrot head :)

Hi TS,

If I read you right, that item is not a lens but a wide-angle attachment (or some call it converter). It is just a screw-on to the existing lens. It is a cheap alternative for wide-angle and macro. If you are looking for an actual lens, this is not the one.

One more thing, to use this attachment effectively, it must be at 50mm focal lenght.

get a real WA lens, what the shop is trying to sell you is a converter, the quality of your picture will suffer.

brands to trust: manufacturer brands, tamron, sigma, tokina (these are the more common brands)

This is the one single item those chop shops make the most money from. They looked expensive and is being misrepresented as a lens instead of just a converter. Since they looked expensive, they can give you a big discount and still make a killing.

The other item is the low quality filter that get passed as high quality ones for the unsuspected.

Yes it is the converter thingum that shaoken has pasted !

i asked for lens but they showed me that so i presumeddd it's called lens anyway.
(first time lens shopping yo give chance pls hahaha)

i've a holga but i've attached a fisheye lens to it , would be a tad bit troublesome to keep swapping them so thats why i wanna get wide angles for my D40X.

so after reading your generous advices !!
i think ... i'll just head down to funan to sound the pros there?

and if i wana get a 'converter' , Schneider yeah ? not stein zeiser right?

Yes it is the converter thingum that shaoken has pasted !

i asked for lens but they showed me that so i presumeddd it's called lens anyway.
(first time lens shopping yo give chance pls hahaha)

i've a holga but i've attached a fisheye lens to it , would be a tad bit troublesome to keep swapping them so thats why i wanna get wide angles for my D40X.

so after reading your generous advices !!
i think ... i'll just head down to funan to sound the pros there?

and if i wana get a 'converter' , Schneider yeah ? not stein zeiser right?
Mod Ortega mean Schneider is trustable, however Schneider don't have wideangle converter but have the wideangle lens, and don't think it is suitable for your need.

mmm okay so what do you think is suitable ? basically i just need one to widen my pictures , will be taking tons of landscape pictures in the coming week !

productimg1235874219544.jpg

If it's this one, they're chopping you big time! :sweat:
Actually, this costs less than $100..

I was being quoted 67mm $160 cheapest at FUNAN for this exact item..
then went to Sim Lim, went as high as $350, jaws dropped. most shops quote $160 also.

Then went to e shop which sells cameras n handphones, directly opp sim lim sq foodcourt, a sales guy named Robert served me, he sold it to me @ $100 with GST. another guy bought this with a tokina UV filter at $250 from another sales guy.. maybe i look poor, so they spared me e chopper.. :bsmilie:
haven tried e macro, dono e capability. but for wide angle, my Tamron hunted for focus for a while.. vignetting big time problem, think TS should consider buying bigger sized lens then attach step down ring to avoid vignetting..

mmm okay so what do you think is suitable ? basically i just need one to widen my pictures , will be taking tons of landscape pictures in the coming week !

Get a real wide-angle lens. Look in the priceguides section.

haven tried e macro, dono e capability. but for wide angle, my Tamron hunted for focus for a while.. vignetting big time problem, think TS should consider buying bigger sized lens then attach step down ring to avoid vignetting..

If the TS values his holiday snaps, he won't wast a single $ on these wide-angle adapters and will get or RENT an actual wide-angle lens.

As mentioned by Ortega in post #7, don;t get a converter as the picture quality will suffer.

Get a real wide angle lens instead. There are reputable 3rd party manufacturers who produce outstanding lenses. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina.

If budget tight, look in the classifieds here in CS for good deals. Usually, the non-premium range of zoom lenses that cover the wide side can be gotten for very affordable prices usually.

199 initially, dropped to 180 since im the last customer, and 150 eventually .... which i didnt buy because i was skeptical, of course. and lens was made in Germany .. stein zeiser - have you guys heard of that brand ?

xx T

If anybody keeps giving up a discount after discount with the most stupid of reasons so as to secure a sale, then forget it. It is simply a con job.

Status
Not open for further replies.