50mm + Raynox DCR-250+ +4 Close Up filter= Good Macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yapster

Aug 12, 2006
Pioneer
www.flickr.com
Hi all,
Got a query here. I recently got a 2nd Hand Raynox DCR-250 and use it together with my 50mm f1.8 and seems like the result is ok. However, i am thinking of getting closer. So i was thinking, should i get a +4 Close up filter to optically get closer to my object? Will it help? I am rather concern abt the softness on the side of the lens if i use a close up filter. I tried the Raynox with my 18-135mm kit lens and its really soft on the side. So please advise ok?;)

Also, if i use a closeup filter itself on my 50mm, how will it affect my focal distance etc? Please advise~~ Thanks in advance~:D

Hi all,
Got a query here. I recently got a 2nd Hand Raynox DCR-250 and use it together with my 50mm f1.8 and seems like the result is ok. However, i am thinking of getting closer. So i was thinking, should i get a +4 Close up filter to optically get closer to my object? Will it help? I am rather concern abt the softness on the side of the lens if i use a close up filter. I tried the Raynox with my 18-135mm kit lens and its really soft on the side. So please advise ok?;)

Also, if i use a closeup filter itself on my 50mm, how will it affect my focal distance etc? Please advise~~ Thanks in advance~:D
your focal distance will still be the same, but your focus distance will reduce. try using a longer focal length lens.

your focal distance will still be the same, but your focus distance will reduce. try using a longer focal length lens.

Oh ok, thanks,ExplorerZ~ :D Any idea on softness that may occur on the above combination of the prime+closeup+raynox converter?

DCR250 is pretty sharp.
If you look for more magnification, go for a lens with longer focal length.
Focus distance of DCR250 is more or less fixed, longer lens will give you more magnification ratio.
Try to get a lens which doesn't rotate/extend during focusing, or you will find it quite difficult
to control.

id suggest u getting extension tube..

coz how good your raynox and close up filter optic is will still reduce the sharpness, colour, etc , while extension tube doesnt effect the sharpnes etc bcoz it doesnt have any optic in it..

DCR250 is pretty sharp.
If you look for more magnification, go for a lens with longer focal length.
Focus distance of DCR250 is more or less fixed, longer lens will give you more magnification ratio.
Try to get a lens which doesn't rotate/extend during focusing, or you will find it quite difficult
to control.

Hmm, will the use of a closeup filter help? :)

id suggest u getting extension tube..

coz how good your raynox and close up filter optic is will still reduce the sharpness, colour, etc , while extension tube doesnt effect the sharpnes etc bcoz it doesnt have any optic in it..

How much approximately will it cost? My 50mm f1.8 has a diameter of 52mm.:)

dcr-250 is a closeup filter.. :)

Oh, sorry. I mean, if i use dcr-250 and a +4 close up filter, will it help me in getting more magnification? Or it will cause softening of the side of the lens? Paiseh, thanks for your patience. :D

Oh, sorry. I mean, if i use dcr-250 and a +4 close up filter, will it help me in getting more magnification? Or it will cause softening of the side of the lens? Paiseh, thanks for your patience. :D
most probably both... a good 52mm close-up filter I know of is the Nikon 4T, +3 diopter double element (cost about $50 but very rare to find now)

most probably both... a good 52mm close-up filter I know of is the Nikon 4T, +3 diopter double element (cost about $50 but very rare to find now)

Ah...My concern is the softening... Cos i tried the Raynox convertor on my 18-135 and really dislike the softening on the side of the lens. As for my 50mm, due to the limitation in focus distance, quite hard to get good magnification. So i guess, either i get a longer focal length lens, live with the focus distance or save up for a macro lens while i try practise with this macro convertor first. Hehe, i will go for the 3rd option most likely. No budget this year. Spend enough. ;p

Thanks guys for your input and advices~

However, if there is anyone who use the 50mm + Raynox DCR-250+ +4 Close Up filter and has some experience with it, will appreciate it if you can share with me. Thanks!:D

i've tried it 50 f1.4 + +4macro + dcr250. it results is quite soft

i've tried it 50 f1.4 + +4macro + dcr250. it results is quite soft

Hey, littlejt~ Hehe, glad you came in. Cos i remember you use it for your kit lens and the softness and vignetting is quite evenly distributed and nice. Mine was rather disastrous when i use the convertor and kit lens.. :cry: So i was wondering if the +4 filter makes the difference between yours and my shots. Now that i hear from your experience using 50mm, guess, i should just stick to my raynox alone then. :(

How much approximately will it cost? My 50mm f1.8 has a diameter of 52mm.:)

there are two different kind extension tube.. one placed between the lens and cam, the other one placed between lens and filter..

i have no idea about the price but it should be cheap lah, coz i doesnt have optic part..

there are two different kind extension tube.. one placed between the lens and cam, the other one placed between lens and filter..

i have no idea about the price but it should be cheap lah, coz i doesnt have optic part..

Oh ok, guess i will check it out! Thanks, tirza~~~~ Appreciated it~:D

Hey, littlejt~ Hehe, glad you came in. Cos i remember you use it for your kit lens and the softness and vignetting is quite evenly distributed and nice. Mine was rather disastrous when i use the convertor and kit lens.. :cry: So i was wondering if the +4 filter makes the difference between yours and my shots. Now that i hear from your experience using 50mm, guess, i should just stick to my raynox alone then. :(

Actually with high quality filter, you should be able to sustain pretty reasonable image quality. I ever tried stacking 2x Nikon 4T (3 diopter) together and the image was still impressive sharp with good contrast.

Actually with high quality filter, you should be able to sustain pretty reasonable image quality. I ever tried stacking 2x Nikon 4T (3 diopter) together and the image was still impressive sharp with good contrast.

Hmm, maybe i show you guys a shot here of my current shot using just the 50mm f1.8 and Raynox DCR-250.

DSC_3144e_for_web.jpg

I was thinking if i could take a closer shot using an additional +4 Closeup filter. And thus, i come up with this question lor.

Hmm, right now, it seems like maybe i should give the filter a shot? Or if possible, maybe littlejt you would like to help by showing a shot using the above combination? Appreciate your help~

Interesting post. I use a 50mm f1.8 with a Canon 250D close up filter. This is similiar to raynox in that it has 2 elements. The filter is a 58mm thread so it is significantly bigger than the 52mm threaded lens and hopefully can utilise more of the sweet spot.

The pictures turn out fine and no softness. I'm wondering if I can achieve better magnification (with same sharpness) with 50mm + canon 250d + extension tube also...

See my samples below:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=310009

Interesting post. I use a 50mm f1.8 with a Canon 250D close up filter. This is similiar to raynox in that it has 2 elements. The filter is a 58mm thread so it is significantly bigger than the 52mm threaded lens and hopefully can utilise more of the sweet spot.

The pictures turn out fine and no softness. I'm wondering if I can achieve better magnification (with same sharpness) with 50mm + canon 250d + extension tube also...

See my samples below:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=310009

Wah, nice shots you got~ Hmm, the Raynox is a 49mm thread filter, so i guess this is the cause of the softness around the 52mm lens? Hmm, anyway, i got a Close-Up filter yesterday and it works well. I haven't try with the Raynox on it as the shape of the lens on the filter somehow minimize the space for me to mount the Raynox (I mean visually assume). I will try it when i have the time. Hehe. ;)

Hi guys, a sample of my shot using the above combination~ Wonder if it can pass off as "good macro"?

Edited-3378.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.