50mm prime lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheekiang

Jan 15, 2007
hi,

i got 18mm-55mm kit lens and 55mm-200mm lens....should i get myself a prime len?

i read the threads that prime lens usually will give you a sharper picture, right?

so is it usually for indoor pictures?

please advise

chee kiang

Sharpness is just one of the many criteria for choosing a lens. I don't advise anybody getting a lens just because other people said its sharp. Like all lenses, a 50mm can be used both indoors and outdoor. There's no rule stating where you can use it.

do you need the 50mm range in the first place?

or you just getting it cause its sharp?

hi,

i am going to shoot pictures indoor...and although my kit lens could serve me well...but then i wonder if a prime lens could offer me with a better sharpness and quality....like with a low ISO setting and internal flash light will the prime lens give me a better picture than the kit len?

chee kiang

50 f/1.8 allows you to shoot at lower light without increasing your ISO much.

i find that it's a good investment to get a 50mm lens..since they are affordable and has good performance. Another thing i've learnt is to control the DOF.. generally all prime lenses has wider aperture compared to zoom lenses :p

does wider aperture means giving you a shallower picture??

does wider aperture means giving you a shallower picture??

from my understanding(still new to photography la:bsmilie: )
there are three factors that affect DOF... one of it is the size of aperture...you can try it... you compare shooting at a subject at the same distance but at diff apertures...u'll find that shooting at say f/4 gives you shallower dof compared to f/8.

here's a more detailed explanation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

Actually 4 factors affect dof...

1. Aperture
2. Distance from the object
3. Focal length of the lens used
and 4. The zoom size of the picture...

hi,

i got 18mm-55mm kit lens and 55mm-200mm lens....should i get myself a prime len?

i read the threads that prime lens usually will give you a sharper picture, right?

so is it usually for indoor pictures?

please advise

chee kiang

hi. i would recommend u to get a 50mm prime. it produce pictures with nice bokeh, works well under low light, fast and very affordable. gd for portrait shot. i didnt regret buying it.

Actually 4 factors affect dof...

1. Aperture
and 4. The zoom size of the picture...
lol whats the different between
this
4. The zoom size of the picture
and

or
and
4. The zoom size of the picture.
? :bsmilie:

anyway the 4 sld be
1. Aperture
2. Distance from the lens to object
4. Distance from the object to background..

In the sense, when you view a picture on the computer, when you fit the picture to the page, most of the picture may look clear, but when you view the actual size, you find that there is actually less depth of view. Of course this has a similar effect to using different focal lengths of a lens...

In any case, factor 2 and 4 that you mentioned are related too...

In the sense, when you view a picture on the computer, when you fit the picture to the page, most of the picture may look clear, but when you view the actual size, you find that there is actually less depth of view. Of course this has a similar effect to using different focal lengths of a lens...

In any case, factor 2 and 4 that you mentioned are related too...
nope, 1 is the distance between u and the subject, while the other is the distance between subject and the background.

Set your kit lens to ~ 50mm, tape up the zoom ring, and shoot with it for a day or two.

Yes, wider aperture lenses allow more room for creativity, but this comes to naught if you dislike the field-of-view of a 50mm (or 65 or 80mm, depending on the camera).

While you're at it, might as well tape up your kit lens @ 35mm. If you like the 35mm FOV you can always grab the 35mm f/2.

Get the 50 1.8. It's cheap and good. Best value for money lens.
Also, I feel that the prime trains me in my composition of photos, which did me a lot of good.

hi,

is that any difference taping up my kit lens at 50mm and prime lens 50mm??

hi hi.

so i assume the prime lens will be a much better as it offers better aperture and sharpness??

anyway if the lens got this aperture size...is it the smaller f values the better or the larget the aperture the better??

please advise

hi hi.

so i assume the prime lens will be a much better as it offers better aperture and sharpness??

anyway if the lens got this aperture size...is it the smaller f values the better or the larget the aperture the better??

please advise

Better in what sense? It's the photographer to determine. Large apeture (i.e. small f-numbers), holding everything else constant would give a narrower DOF. Can increase the amount of light reaching your censor, thus able to increase shutter speed etc.....

you gotta ask yourself what you want to use it for...
issit reli nessary...?
for me i would
because i usually shoot in quite bad lighting conditions without the need for flash :D

hi hi,

not sure better in what sense....just that i read somewhere got pple recommend a lens with a particular f-number but someone else recommend a smaller one....so i thought is it the smaller f-number is better....

Status
Not open for further replies.