50mm prime lens used as a walkabout lens to take people

Status
Not open for further replies.

ardnirun

Sep 22, 2008
Serangoon
Hi there,
Was wondering, would anyone use a 50mm lens or any prime lens as a walkabout lens? Generally for street photography.

y not? i did tht frequently

y not? i did tht frequently

ah...ok..sori..quite new..

hmm i am planning to use it for evening shoots at lil india..i guess it would be suitable right?considering primes have large apertures.

It can be a great walkabout lens, lightweight and fast. It was a common standard lens packaged with SLR in the older days of film.

Of course also up to individuals, some will prefer other focal lengths for their type of walkabout, while others like me prefer the comfort of a flexible zoom.

Ryan

Note that it is a normal lens only for full frame and film. For crop sensors, it's alright as well, but approx 80 mm, which might be a bit restrictive for some situations.

u mean u have to include the crop factor when using prime lens?

yup u have to include it in.

so it means that if I am currently using 50mm on my kit lens on my 450D, if I were to get a prime lens, it would mean approx 30mm to get approx the same image.

am i right?

so it means that if I am currently using 50mm on my kit lens on my 450D, if I were to get a prime lens, it would mean approx 30mm to get approx the same image.

am i right?

no...50mm on kit lens on a 450d would be roughly 75mm in full frame..

agak agak..

u need 30mm on the lens to be equivalent to 50mm on fullframe...prime lens or not..

I find that 50mm is neither here nor there for me. A cheap and good lens, however, it seems to be best for more predictable situations, ie, taking pictures of a friend, or from a fixed spot, like concerts.

Little India, it depends on what you're taking. You mentioned people, how far do you plan to be from them? for 50mm, 10 meters is too far, 3 meters is a better range, but you get attention of that person, some may not like it and you may not feel good about it. If you're going to be outdoors, I recommend a zoom lens, something like a 55-200? I'm not sure what have you on Sony. Indoors, get either a 85mm or some F2.8 wide angles? (may be expensive!)

okie.. thanks!

got the conversion wrong! =)

also, what do you mean when u see prime lens as 50 f/1.8?

it means it has a constant aperture of 1.8? Can this number be reduced to get a deeper DOF?

want reduced aperture, means go for a 50 f1.4 or even 1.2 if u can find one, but higher price tag

On your 450D, the 50mm will be a FF equiv of 80mm.
To get close to actual 50mm, the closest you can get (for Canon primes) is the EF 35mm f/2.0 which will yield you 56mm.

also, what do you mean when u see prime lens as 50 f/1.8?
it means it has a constant aperture of 1.8? Can this number be reduced to get a deeper DOF?

I suggest you read the relevant sticky threads in the Canon forum, e.g. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44948
Alternatively, there are plenty of pages online: http://photonotes.org/articles/beginner-faq/lenses.html
In addition, the Newbies Section has a guide about the very basics of photography: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

A 50mm on a 35mm format approximates what the human eye covers, and is a pretty nifty lens to use because of this *natural* field that one can cover with photos.

I do not think there is an obsessive need to strictly have a 50mm approximation for use. BTW our eyes actually covers a slightly larger area ( and infact some refer to 43 mm as a better approximation ).

It means the widest aperture it can go is f1.8. cannot get any wider.

Ryan

Last edited:
actually, i have read almost all the stickies on the forum.

I wanted to know if the lens state that it has a constant aperture of e.g. 1.8, does it mean this is the biggest it can go, but do I have the option of making it smaller?

sorry for the misconception / poor phrasing of question.

I wanted to know if the lens state that it has a constant aperture of e.g. 1.8, does it mean this is the biggest it can go, but do I have the option of making it smaller?

Correct. Any lens stating something like f/1.4 or f/2.8 has a constant aperture over the whole zoom range. Prime lens don't have a zoom range, naturally. If you look at many zoom lenses you'll notice something like f/3.5 - 5.6 or f/4.5 - 6.3. That means that the biggest possible aperture is not constant but varies depending on the zoom setting (focal length). The biggest aperture (e.g. f/3.5) is only valid for the smallest focal length (e.g. 18mm). If you change the focal length (zooming in) the maximum aperture goes down. Further details you can find in the lens reviews and lens data of the manufacturer.

u mean u have to include the crop factor when using prime lens?

ANY lens attached to a crop-sensor body is affected by the crop factor.

want reduced aperture, means go for a 50 f1.4 or even 1.2 if u can find one, but higher price tag

That's not reduced, that's increased.

actually, i have read almost all the stickies on the forum.

If you read the stickies or even read anything on the basics of controlling aperture, you would know that yes, you can reduce the size of the aperture.

Status
Not open for further replies.