50mm prime lens for wedding photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, am a back-up photographer so that (as my friend said) there will be more pictures.

I just have this crazy idea if it's possible to just have a 50mm lens to shoot for the entire day's events (won't be doing the dinner, so don't need wide angle shots).

Will also be covering the day's events using b/w.

What are the cons?

just dun go too close with your 50mm

;)

cheers

PL

plsoong said:
just dun go too close with your 50mm

;)

cheers

PL
sorry, i don't get you - why cannot get close with a 50mm?

kristlbel, yes i think it's possible for backup wedding photos. you only have to be a bit more daring and creative with the angles and composition. the only drawback i can think of is that you can't really capture those close-up expressions of people since you're limited to 50mm.

kristlbel said:
First, am a back-up photographer so that (as my friend said) there will be more pictures.

I just have this crazy idea if it's possible to just have a 50mm lens to shoot for the entire day's events (won't be doing the dinner, so don't need wide angle shots).

Will also be covering the day's events using b/w.

What are the cons?

Maybe you can try your 50mm shooting a round table first then you can tell yourself possible or not. :D
Seriously speaking most wedding couples want to have a lot of group shots, with their relatives, friends, etc.
Another seriously speaking, I am more interested in studio shoot than wedding shoot, so my opinion may not help.

Since you're the backup, give it a go!

Astin said:
Maybe you can try your 50mm shooting a round table first then you can tell yourself possible or not. :D
Seriously speaking most wedding couples want to have a lot of group shots, with their relatives, friends, etc.
Another seriously speaking, I am more interested in studio shoot than wedding shoot, so my opinion may not help.

I think those i leave the group shots thingie to the designated photog cos i'm sure the couple will want those shots in color and now b/w. i'm just going there to make a pest of myself and for practising my composition skills ;)

Larry is right. I'll probably bring my 28-80 as backup :)

I think it will be ok..

If you do a close-up (face shot), there might be some distortion to the face as in the nose will appear a little bigger that it really is. If the subject dun mind it think it's ok.

For a 50mm, you need to get pretty close to the pple even for a half length shot. Some guest mght not be comfty with you being too close. Try it on your friend 1st to guage how close u needed to be.

For B & W, you might wanna check with the couple whether they are ok with the idea. Some might find it "not so nice" to shoot a happy occasion in b & w.

binbeto said:
I think it will be ok..

If you do a close-up (face shot), there might be some distortion to the face as in the nose will appear a little bigger that it really is. If the subject dun mind it think it's ok.

For a 50mm, you need to get pretty close to the pple even for a half length shot. Some guest mght not be comfty with you being too close. Try it on your friend 1st to guage how close u needed to be.

For B & W, you might wanna check with the couple whether they are ok with the idea. Some might find it "not so nice" to shoot a happy occasion in b & w.

Happy occasion cannot be in b&w... so must the bride and groom wear bright red too? :p

binbeto old fashion lar... but its a good idea to ask first ;)

wormz777 said:
Happy occasion cannot be in b&w... so must the bride and groom wear bright red too? :p

of course i asked first! :) they're ok with it. actually, i wouldn't mind doing colored shots. only that i have a little assignment for b/w, so i need b/w prints. but doing b/w prints from color negatives can be quite a pain for me. :dunno:

OT a bit... i've yet to see pple take pictures at sad ocassions. at least to the ones which i've been too. i can be quite suaku... :D

go ahead, try it, it will be the cheapest and most powerful lens you will ever own....free your mind....

kristlbel said:
of course i asked first! :) they're ok with it. actually, i wouldn't mind doing colored shots. only that i have a little assignment for b/w, so i need b/w prints. but doing b/w prints from color negatives can be quite a pain for me. :dunno:

OT a bit... i've yet to see pple take pictures at sad ocassions. at least to the ones which i've been too. i can be quite suaku... :D

I have tried using the 50mm to shoot at a conference before... I was the official photographer..... it was a difficult job!! Cos you really need to be really really thick-skinned to stand right in front to takle a close-up and stand really really far back (U need to ask people to siam) to get a groups shot!! But it performs marvellosuly under low light!! I easily get shutter speeds of 1/90 at f/2.8 I think. can't quite remember now.....

hi Kristlbel,

I think it's really a great idea to try out using a 50mm prime to cover an event... but do have another lens )perferably a WA) to back up.

the 50mm is great for low light but may not be for focal lenghts. Unless you know you can get ample space to move about.. then the whole place is your playground..

it will be fun and challenging to just shoot with a prime but the results will be rewarding ^.^

Cheerz and all the best!! :)

With a 50mm prime, you need to move to compose. If you compose a lot, you will move a lot. You may end up running (literally) around - of course with a zoom, you run too, but not as much. As a backup, must be careful/sensitive when running around; don't run into the path of the main photog, don't run into the path of the main videographer, and don't run into anyone, esp senior citizens and kids.

If i were in your shoes and were restricted to a low light prime, i would opt for the viewpoint of an 85 or 135. This is bcoz i know the most of the main photog's pics will be wide angle. But that's just me; your style may differ.

GitS said:
go ahead, try it, it will be the cheapest and most powerful lens you will ever own....free your mind....

Yeah free your mind, like what mopheus say in matrix....

50mm lens will be good for journalistic B/W pictures. are you going to start from the morning?? try to get some window shots with the light cumming from the side of the bride's face,nice loh.

Check your metering so that the shadow side is not too dark.

A bit OT, Im thinking of backing up my S2 with slides using a fisheye for a frens wedding? Is that a good idea? :D :devil:

wormz777 said:

I old fashion ypur head...

binbeto take out his "tian ya min yue dao" and throw at wormz.

Krist, you might wanna used C41 B&W in case the couple wanna do reprint for guest.

xdivider said:
A bit OT, Im thinking of backing up my S2 with slides using a fisheye for a frens wedding? Is that a good idea? :D :devil:

Ha Ha,you better be careful.one of my friend use slide for wedding got cock-up.

pics underexpose then cost a bomb to get them into prints.....the groom face was like : should get a pro shooter better...but then if nothing goes wrong with the S2 should be OK lah....plan for every scenario better.

If S2 wanna play punk, you still got to rely on another camera, so IMHO, colour film is safer than slides.

binbeto said:
Krist, you might wanna used C41 B&W in case the couple wanna do reprint for guest.

Ahhh.... Ah bin although old fashioned but have rather good ideas too :p

Anyway, you can still try to use colour negatives and if you want black and white prints, the lab can still do it. So you sort of have best of both worlds! ;)

*Of course, you have to be more aware of the different shooting styles of shooting in b&w and in colour*

andylee said:
Ha Ha,you better be careful.one of my friend use slide for wedding got cock-up.

pics underexpose then cost a bomb to get them into prints.....the groom face was like : should get a pro shooter better...but then if nothing goes wrong with the S2 should be OK lah....plan for every scenario better.

If S2 wanna play punk, you still got to rely on another camera, so IMHO, colour film is safer than slides.

Urr... I assume S2 here refers to the FujiFilm DSLR? This cam can shoot both film and digital meh?

Status
Not open for further replies.