50mm Prime for 5days BKK Trip

angsk

Dec 24, 2011
Dear all,

I'm currently using the Sony NEX-C3 with kit lens 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, I'm currently thinking of renting the Sony E Mount 50mm F1.8 to bring for my trip. But am troubled by the following:

1. Will be travelling with my gf, and most likely will take "self-couple" shots and 50mm might just make our faces too big in the photo (and you know girls have something against this)
2. Have not tried out a 50mm prime before, and thus would like to give it a shot, I believe besides the point above, all other shots should not be a problem, whether is it street photography, food or even taking a picture of my gf where I am not limited to space.
3. 50mm prime will definitely result in better quality photos imo, and I seldom travel, best to shoot all the memories down!

Any Advice?

TIA

Besides the DOF...all can be done with kit lens too and might be better.
Have you tried to use 50mm on your kit lens? If you like and is enjoying it alot. Then go ahead lo. ;)

Besides the DOF...all can be done with kit lens too and might be better.
Have you tried to use 50mm on your kit lens? If you like and is enjoying it alot. Then go ahead lo. ;)

Yes I did, and like I mentioned in point 1 the face is too big! Haha..

I'm also thinking the prime would be better for night shots as we'll be going to the nightlife at RCA etc, brighter lens would be good!

But, don't feel like lugging 2 lenses around. But still afraid my gf will complain. Dilemma!

yea. Unless you have really long arms. 50 X 1.5 crop thats 75mm.. So the kit lens would be more ideal.. Yes the F1.8 do help alot. But again.. 50mm can be alittle tight. If you are Ok with it. Why not.

I strongly suggest you to bring the kit lens along than just 1 50mm. It may be very handy. And also prevent your gf from complaining in this aspect.
Its light n small anyway. If you need it. Its too late. Didnt you mention "best to shoot all the memories down"? :bsmilie:

It's not like those two lens weigh a ton right? MAN UP! Carry both! Not that difficult!

Last edited:
drop the idea for a 50mm prime only for a trip. I've done it before and it was a failure. Imagine a nice building and you have to stand like 100m back to take it :bsmilie:

I will just stick to the kit lens if I were you.

if 50mm face too big then use something wider maybe 35? 50mm prime for self portrait, i think you have very long arms.

if want to shoot all the memories down, maybe renting an all-in-one travel lens like 18-200 might be better?

otherwise, i still think 18-55 is better than just 50.

Yes I did, and like I mentioned in point 1 the face is too big! Haha..

I'm also thinking the prime would be better for night shots as we'll be going to the nightlife at RCA etc, brighter lens would be good!

But, don't feel like lugging 2 lenses around. But still afraid my gf will complain. Dilemma!

Get a small tripod and use timer remote.... that will solve your face too big issue...

But seriously, if you are going to shoot "cam whore" kind of pics, just save yourself the trouble and use the 18-55....

drop the idea for a 50mm prime only for a trip. I've done it before and it was a failure. Imagine a nice building and you have to stand like 100m back to take it :bsmilie:

Actually 50mm for trips is perfectly ok... it really depends on the photographer...

Go rent the lens now and walk around Singapore for a day and you can have a feel of what you can do with that lens, whether it can achieve the effects you want., f not just fixed your kit lens at 50mm for a whole day and see if you can get used to that prime distance.
Photo taking is very personal and everyone style varies.

Last edited:
Actually 50mm for trips is perfectly ok... it really depends on the photographer...

Hmm for most things it's fine I'd agree, but for certain shots, I think I really want the wide angle. Like when I was in Tokyo, the temples are really huge, and some of their streets is like 4 lanes wide, and the famous 3-way crossing at JR Shibuya's Haichikou exit.. 50mm's FOV is too tight for these imho.. ;p

For me when I go travel, I tend to capture scenarios, buildings and street scenes more.. so I guess my main preference is a UWA zoom or mainly 35mm and below focal lengths.

Last edited:
no offence, 50 mm at 1.5 crop = you taking a photo of a part of your face, maybe nose or 1 single eye at arm length....

The best camera is the one that is with you, BUT the best lens is the one you left at home. So I say, bring both. 1855 for sceneries and 50F18 for nighttime shots. Very light and unintrusive set up, if you ask me.

PS: Don't even think of using the 50F18 for handheld self-shots unless you're Mr. Fantastic.

Last edited:
I would advise against the 50, unless you want to take bokelicious portraits of your gf. Other than that, I'm sure your gf will not be happy with your 50, for alot of reasons. Just bring your kit zoom, and maybe a tripod for long exposure night shots. Use handheld twilight mode for nighttime handheld street shots. Problem solved.

I don't think 'big face' is a problem, I think a long enough arm to 'self take' is a problem. :D

Bring a light tripod and that will solve the problem.
Personally I still think its too 'tight' a FOV for most normal working distances.
I'd recommend a 35mm instead.
At least at 3-5m it will take in both of you and the environment.

Big face problem, just make sure the camera is not too near for short focal length lenses.

No matter the choicE, I still recommend a small and light tripod (even the cheapo one will do for a light setup like the NEX with small lens)
Come to think of it, just bring your 18-55mm kit ; It isn't that far from the 50mm in size anyway.

Last edited:
I had better faith in a uwa for travel purposes.

Dear all,

I'm currently using the Sony NEX-C3 with kit lens 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, I'm currently thinking of renting the Sony E Mount 50mm F1.8 to bring for my trip. But am troubled by the following:

1. Will be travelling with my gf, and most likely will take "self-couple" shots and 50mm might just make our faces too big in the photo (and you know girls have something against this)
2. Have not tried out a 50mm prime before, and thus would like to give it a shot, I believe besides the point above, all other shots should not be a problem, whether is it street photography, food or even taking a picture of my gf where I am not limited to space.
3. 50mm prime will definitely result in better quality photos imo, and I seldom travel, best to shoot all the memories down!

Any Advice?

TIA

Normally when traveling, I bring min gears as possible. A 12-24 lens on a DX body will do.