50mm Prime f1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

epileatheral

Dec 4, 2008
Hi guys,
I'm intending to buy a 50mm Prime f1.4 lens. Any recommendations of what should I get?
And where to get it?

Thanks.

If you want an autofocus one, there are only two choices: FA50/1.4 or F50/1.4. Of course Sigma got a nice 50/1.4 lens too, but that one is alot bigger and more expensive.

For manual focus one, there are too many choices. My suggestion is to go w/ the A50/1.4, M50/1.4, or K50/1.4. But those SMC Takumar ones are pretty nice too. There are quite some third part ones including a Zeiss ZK 50/1.4 in PK/A mount.

Actually there is no bad normal (50mm) lens, and it is true I think, after I've played many 50mm lenses :)

Thanks bros...
What's the difference between FA50/1.4 or F50/1.4 ? How's the price like?

I'm looking for a AF one.

A new FA 50mm f/1.4 is about $350 thereabouts. Can look for it at Orient Photo/Alan Photo (Sim Lim), Cathay Photo, M S Colour. Just go in person or call first to check. Retail price may go up soon as Pentax has announced a price increase.

The FA and F versions are both AF. The F version is discontinued. I have owned 3 FA 50mm lenses and they are excellent for available light photography or if you want to explore bokeh and differential focusing. The FA 50 is definitely a better buy than the Sigma and it gets excellent reviews.

if you are looking for a AF one, just get the FA 50mm f/1.4. value for money and easy to find one.

Thanks bros...
What's the difference between FA50/1.4 or F50/1.4 ? How's the price like?

I'm looking for a AF one.
F version i think very hard to find. Just get FA50 1.4 or u can wait for the new 55mm 1.4 but that's near 1k in price.

I think for a beginner like me FA f1.4 is very good enough. Orite! I'll look for that! Thanks!

To add, the FA50 is perhaps the best plastic prime and has one of the best price/performance ratio. It deserves a place in your camera bag, especially for beginners. Will really give you much more possibilities over the kit zoom lenses.

To add, the FA50 is perhaps the best plastic prime and has one of the best price/performance ratio. It deserves a place in your camera bag, especially for beginners. Will really give you much more possibilities over the kit zoom lenses.

Huh? "Plastic prime" What's that? :what:
It's a good lens whether beginner, advanced amateur or pro...

Okay.. thanks for the info. So, any good people wanna sell me theirs and upgrade to a Sigma or whatever? hahahahaha

Huh? "Plastic prime" What's that? :what:
It's a good lens whether beginner, advanced amateur or pro...
Ha. I mean plastic body. The elements are still glass. Nevertheless, the glass still feels heavy and the lens feels solid in your hands.

Okay.. thanks for the info. So, any good people wanna sell me theirs and upgrade to a Sigma or whatever? hahahahaha
Get a new one bah. 2nd hand prices for this lens isn't that far off from a new one. Sometimes people buy second hand cos they can't find stocks of a new one or can't wait.

Sounds good...
Okay... I should try law of attraction now, as mentioned in The Secret...
"Someone will sell me his FA50... cheap!"

Sounds good...
Okay... I should try law of attraction now, as mentioned in The Secret...
Wah, u into nlp one huh?

Ha. I mean plastic body. The elements are still glass. Nevertheless, the glass still feels heavy and the lens feels solid in your hands.

No, the barrel of FA50 isn't totally plastic. Its housing is metal, outside covered w/ a thin plastic layer. The lens is actually very well built, don't be fooled by its shiny plastic outfit ;)

By the way, the Apperture blades are Circular or Hex?

No, the barrel of FA50 isn't totally plastic. Its housing is metal, outside covered w/ a thin plastic layer. The lens is actually very well built, don't be fooled by its shiny plastic outfit ;)
No wonder. Cos I always find it very dense for plastic.

Get a new one bah. 2nd hand prices for this lens isn't that far off from a new one. Sometimes people buy second hand cos they can't find stocks of a new one or can't wait.

last year I remember there were quite many people selling their FA 50/1.4, prices go as low as <250.

Status
Not open for further replies.