50mm on crop frame => more?

alancwr

Sep 23, 2007
i read abt this crop factor thing,
my impression that i can is say im using a 1000D which is a 1.6x crop factor

somehow i fixed on a 50mm lens the focal length will become 75 or something like that??

i somehow just dun understand abt this 35mm film and crop stuff...

can explain to me in a more laymen term?

thats exactly what i googled leh...

Erm. in that case, what you dont understand? the illustration provides a good understanding of crop factors already.

Perhaps, a video may explain more clearly. watch from 2:56 onwards for explanation of crop factor

[youtubehd]vV-s31II-OU[/youtubehd]

Last edited:
thats exactly what i googled leh...
how much more layman must it be? :dunno:

anyway since you have no prior experience in using a 35mm film camera, then the issue of crop factor is less of a 'bother' for you. It doesn't really matter whether a 50mm lens gives you 75, or 80, or 200, as long as you are comfortable with the field of view you get when you mount this lens onto YOUR 1000D and take a photo with it.

The lens is like a projector projecting an image.
The sensor is like a projector screen.
If the projector screen is smaller ie. like a cropped sensor , then what you recieve is an image that is less wide * ( looks as if the image was taken with a longer focal length )

3247342456_41702c1f45.jpg

The full frame sensor sees the larger picture as shown, the cropped sensor will see the central crop area ( depending on the size of sensor that affects the crop factor )

Ryan

I supposed that a 1000d will have a smaller field of view compared to full frame?

I supposed that a 1000d will have a smaller field of view compared to full frame?

Yes...

a 50mm lens on a 1000D will give you a FOV (field of view) similar to a 80mm lens on a full-frame 35mm camera.

50 x 1.6 = 80.

Yes of course, that's where the 1.6X comes in, full frame = no crop, 1.6X = 1.6X crop compared to full frame.

Of course, all this information is "good to know" but it's not necessary to know, unless you're into the technicalities of everything.

After all, given that your kit lens is 18-55mm (i presume), then you can figure out how much more or little focal length you need based on that.

After reading up again on different sites
I figured that a dslr will a crop factor will naturally take a picture
But will be so called smaller in size compared to a full frame

Subsequntly when enlarge the cropped picture will somehow look bigger
Therefore explain the bigger picture?

I can understand what you're trying to say- but your English, well, needs to improve if you are going to be understood on a regular basis... and um, some of the terms are used wrongly.

Yea the idea is there, don't have to make us understand. If you yourself understand then its good enough.:)

I can understand what you're trying to say- but your English, well, needs to improve if you are going to be understood on a regular basis... and um, some of the terms are used wrongly.
hmmm, the idea is there right???

Yea the idea is there, don't have to make us understand. If you yourself understand then its good enough.:)
haha okay okay thanks for all the trouble everybody

hmmm now is the next question judging from what i understand..i believe ppl should rather get a camera which has a crop factor?since it kind of "magnify" what u see

but why would ppl still get full frame?

hmmm now is the next question judging from what i understand..i believe ppl should rather get a camera which has a crop factor?since it kind of "magnify" what u see

but why would ppl still get full frame?

Wider angles, better performance at higher ISO (less noise), higher dynamic range, shallower DOF etc... Not everyone wants it narrower or magnified, depends on the needs of the photographer

Last edited:
Wider angles, better performance at higher ISO (less noise), higher dynamic range etc... Not everyone wants it narrower or magnified, depends on the needs of the photographer

wider angles is a moot point.

the widest rectilinear lens for a full frame camera is 12mm.

the widest rectilinear lens for a crop frame camera is 8mm. with 1.5x crop factor, that's... 12 mm hey presto.