50mm lenses

medikawaz

May 12, 2009
Just wandering if there is any difference in image quality between the 3 canon 50mm lenses? The f1.2L usm, f1.4 usm and the f1.8ll? And does any of the 3 lenses suitable for 600d?
Sorry if im repeating a thread or the qn sounds silly.

all suitable.

of course got difference.

all suitable.

of course got difference.

Look at the RRP price tags extracted from CS Canon Price List. If no IQ differences why pay more.............

EF 50mm f1.2L USM RRP $2899
EF 50mm f1.4 USM RRP $699
EF 50mm f1.8 II RRP $159

Yes! All 3 are suitable for your 600D...If u got no budget constrain,dive straight for the 50mm f/1.2L lens...Huge monster & gives you nice "bokeh"(blurry background).Go check out the related videos in Youtube.

Yes! All 3 are suitable for your 600D...If u got no budget constrain,dive straight for the 50mm f/1.2L lens...Huge monster & gives you nice "bokeh"(blurry background).Go check out the related videos in Youtube.

There are other disadvantages to the 50/1.2L, other than price. For one, the size and weight may cause some weight balance issues on the small 600D body. It's not THAT heavy, but it's more of a personal preference. If I used a Canon system, the max I'd go would be the 50/1.4. I don't need the 1.2, and if I could afford it I would rather use the money for a 5DMII than the 50/1.2.

Lenses are usually more important than the body, but there's a limit to that as well. Beyond a certain point, you do need the better body to enjoy significant benefits from your 50/1.2L

Thank you all!! Have decided,would go for f1.4... Shall get the f1.2 when I upgrade my camera.. : )

Thank you all!! Have decided,would go for f1.4... Shall get the f1.2 when I upgrade my camera.. : )
Get it once you need it. Just upgrading the body does not require the f/1.2 lens

Octarine said:
Get it once you need it. Just upgrading the body does not require the f/1.2 lens

Thank u for the advice..peace yo..

There are other disadvantages to the 50/1.2L, other than price. For one, the size and weight may cause some weight balance issues on the small 600D body. It's not THAT heavy, but it's more of a personal preference. If I used a Canon system, the max I'd go would be the 50/1.4. I don't need the 1.2, and if I could afford it I would rather use the money for a 5DMII than the 50/1.2.

Lenses are usually more important than the body, but there's a limit to that as well. Beyond a certain point, you do need the better body to enjoy significant benefits from your 50/1.2L

wanted to reply similarly as well. spend the money on a 5DMII before whacking the L lens!

wanted to reply similarly as well. spend the money on a 5DMII before whacking the L lens!

i rather buy lens first body later.

i rather buy lens first body later.

But F1.2 looks so much creamier on a FF than crop D:

Heck, even F1.4 on FF looks better than F1.2 on crop. But it's personal preference I guess.

Just wandering if there is any difference in image quality between the 3 canon 50mm lenses? The f1.2L usm, f1.4 usm and the f1.8ll? And does any of the 3 lenses suitable for 600d?
Sorry if im repeating a thread or the qn sounds silly.
of cos there is IQ differences.. Be aware of the price differences too. All 3 are suitable for 600D..but which 1 is suitable for you?

are you planning to get a 50mm as your everyday lens?

have you tried the 50mm range on your camera before?

i feel 30mm will be more suitable for a cropped body if you are getting it as a everyday lens. 50mm is abit too tight for indoors shooting

just my opinion,

Look at the RRP price tags extracted from CS Canon Price List. If no IQ differences why pay more.............

EF 50mm f1.2L USM RRP $2899
EF 50mm f1.4 USM RRP $699
EF 50mm f1.8 II RRP $159

Hi, I like to add to the knowledge base here if it has not been done before.It's easy to say there's is a qualitative difference because of the
price difference but it leaves the person asking the question just as ignorant or "blur" in local parlance.This is not to show I know better.

Let's start with the cheapest 50mm F1.8 - this is the mass market made mostly of plastic for the lens barrel and standard multi coated glass
elements.Not to say it's a lousy lens but given it is made at the cheapest cost in great quantities,the materials cost comes down hence it's
cheap price.

50mm F1.4 - If you study the history of this design at F1.4 ( since the 1800s when photography became wide spread ) it had it's technical
challenges when lens design software or computers were non existent then.Still it is not easy to make a good F1.4 because a poorly designed
one will show vignetting at it's widest aperture at F1.4 and sharpness also.Lens grinding and polishing is even more precise because of the diameter and
thickness of the lens curvature.Just google the recent revival of an old design by Cosina/Voigtlander 58 mm F1.4 Nokton for it's illustrious origin that
Nikon and Canon could not do at that time period.

50mm F1.2 - At F1.2 needless to say this is a very challenging design but with the L version which is meant for professional use and FLOURITE
lens element in between the glass elements for colour refractive correction properties make this lens superior in performance.
Do you know that flourite can desolve in water like sugar? Then again you are not likely to soak it in water for cleaning.That's all I have to add.

Last edited:
I'd recommend you take a look at this:

[video=youtube_share;44FqqE6ukjY]http://youtu.be/44FqqE6ukjY[/video]

I have a 50mm f1.2 only because I managed to borrow it long term from my brother who gave up on DSLR photography. I always tell my friends that I wouldn't spend my own money to get one though. It's a superb lens but focus can be slow at times, it's heavy and it's bulky. At f1.2, because dof is so shallow, you also have much less margin of error to work with.

With my own money, weight and price-wise, I'd be perfectly happy with the f1.4. For travel, I might even consider the f1.8 :)

While 50mm on a crop is not the 'standard' focal length, unless you're shooting in confined spaces often, I think it's perfectly fine.

Last edited:
All 3 lenses may be used on your Canon 600D. The f/1.2 is clearly the most expensive. Get it if you have the cash and believe you have the use for the 50mm f/1.2 lens. Otherwise, the f/1.4 or the f/1.8 are more economical.

I think you shd get the 35mm 1.4L if you are using a cropped body camera. You have to take note of the 1.6 factor.

I have a 50mm f1.2 only because I managed to borrow it long term from my brother who gave up on DSLR photography. I always tell my friends that I wouldn't spend my own money to get one though. It's a superb lens but focus can be slow at times, it's heavy and it's bulky. At f1.2, because dof is so shallow, you also have much less margin of error to work with.
The 50/1.2L focuses slowly because it needs to move huge, heavy pieces of glass inside the lens to AF. The glass inside the 1.8 and 1.4 lenses are smaller so they can AF faster.

i used 3 of them....50 1.2 too heavy...50 1.4....just nice......50 1.8 like a toy but still can produce good images.

so i prefer to take 50 1.4 in singapore. and 50 1.8 when I travel.