50mm F1.8D or F1.4D

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin23

Oct 22, 2008
i'm gg to get a 50mm prime lens. Can anyone advise which one is better, F1.8d or F1.4d? Which one produce sharper image & better bokeh?

Sharpness wise both should be the same, maybe 1.4 will be a bit softer, but if both stopped down to f/4 or so, should be very sharp...

Bokeh wise of course 1.4 will be better since it has shallower depth of field... Once again, if both at same aperture, should be the same...

You have to decide whether the 1.4 is worth the money, since it cost $400+ while the 1.8 only cost $100+...

Next time do a search first.
We have tons of info on 1.8 vs 1.4 here.

lol... catchlights you gots lots of searching time... hehehe

You're damn free man. :bsmilie:

I think he's just trying to show how easy it is to find the related threads. Just do a search and you get quite a number of hits. Not that difficult it you try it. Doesn't take a lot of time, just some effort.

i'm gg to get a 50mm prime lens. Can anyone advise which one is better, F1.8d or F1.4d? Which one produce sharper image & better bokeh?

Of course the F1.4D better than the F1.8D lah...or else all the people who got F1.4D must have felt very insulted for forking out S$300 more to get the F1.4D! :bsmilie:

And now got AF-S F1.4, maybe you should go get that one and let us know if it's better than the other two? ;)

Next time do a search first.
We have tons of info on 1.8 vs 1.4 here.

This is a discussion forum mah...Ok to ask again even if others have posted before lah.
The Obama / McCain competition reported left right centre in the news, still got people talking about who makes a better candidate before the results were out right? :sticktong

Using the right key words, you able to find lots of info in ClubSnap..

all these threads it only take less than a minute to complete the search, screen thur, cut and paste take slightly longer time.

and all of them are threads posted in ClubSnap, there are countless discussions about this topic on the web. So it is advisable to do a search before you post a question, most likely you will able to find the answers without making an enquire.

So don't be surprise or disappoint if nobody answer your questions, or get angry if someone ask you to go Google.

However, some time people still ask first before do some basic research, ever encounter someone cited Clubsnap is not friendly, useless and should close down..:bigeyes: Hope we don't meet this kind of people often.

Using the right key words, you able to find lots of info in ClubSnap..

all these threads it only take less than a minute to complete the search, screen thur, cut and paste take slightly longer time.

and all of them are threads posted in ClubSnap, there are countless discussions about this topic on the web. So it is advisable to do a search before you post a question, most likely you will able to find the answers without making an enquire.

So don't be surprise or disappoint if nobody answer your questions, or get angry if someone ask you to go Google.

However, some time people still ask first before do some basic research, ever encounter someone cited Clubsnap is not friendly, useless and should close down..:bigeyes: Hope we don't meet this kind of people often.

I Totally agree with you, catch lights...well, actually I agree with you up to 99%. My point is that if everyone has to do that, then there will be alot less posts here in clubsnap, and alot less fun to come in to browse.

If you notice, the replies for each thread, even under the same topics, are always different.

Yo

Let the posts come in. there will always be new users who would like to share their experience. Whats more, questions can be answered directly for those still interested in the thread.

Or maybe, we should have a sticky type of thread for each famous lens or comparison. But I think it will be a bit overwhelming in terms of number of topics.

Hey hi there, to fellow CSers who had posted above, no offence. But i do feel that this is an open discussion forum which means that anyone could just open up a topic to be discussed or share. If anyone feel that such threads are pointless and you are sick of this kidna threads just browse thru, read and forget. If you wana advise or remind fellow CSers or even voice out some opinions, its everyone's freedom to do so.

My point is such or repeated topics could open up new discussions or lead to new discovery because as society progresses so does our thinking (e.g the 1.4 raise price till $10k but 1.8 remains, of cos 1.8!) , so why not give it a chance?

My bad to OT, back to topic.

For my situation, if i had a choice between 1.4 and 1.8 which means i have a budget of $400 or so. I would get a 2nd hand set of 1.8 and sb600/800. It has much more functions and the flash+prime combo is something not to be missed out, 1.4 alone yes its good but with the 1.8+sb600 i would have much more functions to explore. Besides who dosen't wana have that whole collection of the best lens, but sometimes its the need and budget problem.

Cheers

Last edited:
now Flash+prime combo, that's something new. I'm intrigued. Why is that so may i ask?

now Flash+prime combo, that's something new. I'm intrigued. Why is that so may i ask?
F1.4/F1.8 is not enough that you can take picture in total darkness, your ISO and flash will helps you more then the F-stop(Aperture). Do read up more on photography tips by google.

Status
Not open for further replies.