50mm f1.8?

mattchlai

Sep 27, 2010
i've just got my Sony a390 not long ago with 18-55mm lens and 55-200mm lens as a package. should i get a lens like 50mm f1.8 (prime?) for general purpose or indoor portrait? how about 50mm f1.4? learning curve is not that simple...

Both are very good, but considering the crop factor, the 35mm will be more handy.

Both are good lenses but the f1.8 version is an APS-C lens. If you intend to upgrade to a full frame camera in future I would suggest that you get the f1.4 version.

yea.. the 35mm is better.. sometimes i use 50mm and i find it not wide enough.. have not yet to try the 35mm though..

i'm considering f1.8 cos it is cheaper. really 35mm is better choice? i thought 50mm is more on general.

Last edited:
Right now there is a promo for the Sony 50mm f1.8 at 169, check with Sony or the dealer for more info

i'm considering f1.8 cos it is cheaper. really 35mm is better choice? i thought 50mm is more on general.

Maybe u can start off with 50mm f1.8 to see if u like to use the prime lens which are having fixed focal length.
It should offer better image quality and low light capability than your zoom lens.
Prime lens will make your legs work more ;)

Right now there is a promo for the Sony 50mm f1.8 at 169, check with Sony or the dealer for more info

ok thanks for the info. i'll do a quick check.

Maybe u can start off with 50mm f1.8 to see if u like to use the prime lens which are having fixed focal length.
It should offer better image quality and low light capability than your zoom lens.
Prime lens will make your legs work more ;)

ya, i'm happy with my zoom lens when outdoor. but i found their aperture a bit narrow when taking indoor photos and need flash all the time. i hope that with prime lens i can skip the flash. i'm thinking f2.8 too but they are just way too expensive. i hope that it will be better choice compare to my kit lenses.

Last edited:
You can save up for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 to replace your kit lens.

do you mean that i can skip the f1.4/f1.8 lens if to take Tamron 17-50mm f2.8? any ideas how much is it?

Actually, it really depends what you are going to use it for. If you want to shoot half or head/shoulder portraits, I would say the 50mm is a better choice. If you want a normal lens then 30mm or 35mm is the preferred focal length for APS-C sensor cameras (like your A390).

So it comes down to what you intend to use it for.

ok thanks for the info. i'll do a quick check.

if i'm not wrong, is when u purchase a sony dslr than u get at 169, or else rrp will be 219

Actually, it really depends what you are going to use it for. If you want to shoot half or head/shoulder portraits, I would say the 50mm is a better choice. If you want a normal lens then 30mm or 35mm is the preferred focal length for APS-C sensor cameras (like your A390).

So it comes down to what you intend to use it for.

for me i would like to use this prime lens as a general purpose and indoor. No sure yet if 35mm or 50mm will be ideal for me. probably will go for 50mm unless i can get 35mm from the used market.

for me i would like to use this prime lens as a general purpose and indoor. No sure yet if 35mm or 50mm will be ideal for me. probably will go for 50mm unless i can get 35mm from the used market.
indoor, to me, equals space constraints, unless your definition of indoor is Suntec Convention Centre :)
So 50mm indoor on a camera with APS-C sensor.... not saying it cannot, but I find 35mm to be more 'comfortable' for most of the photos I take. Just gives that extra wideness which I find beneficial.

indoor, to me, equals space constraints, unless your definition of indoor is Suntec Convention Centre :)
So 50mm indoor on a camera with APS-C sensor.... not saying it cannot, but I find 35mm to be more 'comfortable' for most of the photos I take. Just gives that extra wideness which I find beneficial.

Ya, sounds like 30mm or 35mm is the better choice for you. Personally I prefer to go even wider to 24mm.

from the Sony pricelist:

SAL50F18 - S$219
SAL35F18 - S$369

for my case which would you suggest for better value?

i saw one SAL30M28 but that will be for macro. does it suitable for indoor portrait as well?

from the Sony pricelist:

SAL50F18 - S$219
SAL35F18 - S$369

for my case which would you suggest for better value?

i saw one SAL30M28 but that will be for macro. does it suitable for indoor portrait as well?

F2.8 is not as suitable. If get that might as well just get a Tamron 17-50.

Anyway, which of the F1.8 lenses is a better value for you really depends on you. Which will you use more?

F2.8 is not as suitable. If get that might as well just get a Tamron 17-50.

Anyway, which of the F1.8 lenses is a better value for you really depends on you. Which will you use more?

i have no chance to test both so i'm not too sure which one is more suitable for my normal usage. i'm a newbie to dslr so really a dilemma for my learning stage with limited budget...