50mm f1.8

JVlarcus

Dec 14, 2008
Hey guys I just got a 50mm f1.8 prime lens yesterday second hand and when it focuses, there is some noise coming out from it. Is this normal for other prime users using this lens?:confused:

Of course there will be noise. It's the focusing gears. You would need to have a very high-end lens for focusing to be almost silent.

Of course there will be noise. It's the focusing gears. You would need to have a very high-end lens for focusing to be almost silent.

Oh okay so nothing to worry about with the loud focusing noise then? :thumbsup: thanks for clearing my doubt :cool:

Canon basically uses 2 different kinds of motors in their lenses. The micro motor and ring ultrasonic motor (USM). 50mm f1.8 uses the cheaper micro motor and this tends to have a bit of noise when focusing.

thing is, $130-ish for a f/1.8 lens...i dont think anyone will complain on a little noise.

for budget lenses, you can't expect too much I guess. But really depends on how "loud" the sound is.

Nevertheless, we tend to be slightly more sensitive to anything we bought second hand.

:thumbsup:
for budget lenses, you can't expect too much I guess. But really depends on how "loud" the sound is.

Nevertheless, we tend to be slightly more sensitive to anything we bought second hand.

Only 'second hand'? Some people here freak out over dust inside a newly purchased lens, expecting the level of cleanliness one can find in semiconductor production facilities... Others demand a consumer camera model with absolutely zero shutter count. :dunno:

This lens is known to be loud and dusty, so nothing to worry about. Despite of that, the image quality is excellent. Get a EF50mm f/1.4 USM if you want silent AF.

Besides, this lens is made of plastic (except for the lens elements), so expect it to break if you drop it... :sweat:

This lens is known to be loud and dusty, so nothing to worry about. Despite of that, the image quality is excellent. Get a EF50mm f/1.4 USM if you want silent AF.

Besides, this lens is made of plastic (except for the lens elements), so expect it to break if you drop it... :sweat:

It will break upon a fall... tested by me... accidentally of course.... and now, missing the 50mm range.... :bheart:

Last edited:
Yup the last i tried one, the AF was a little noisy. But this plasticky lightweight lens is extreme value for money and the AF is pretty fast!

Just make sure u run the usual checks for pre-loved lenses to make sure they are working fine.

Ryan

lens in general for canon, if the front berrel rotates in a circular motion it will most probably have noise
2 cents.

lens in general for canon, if the front berrel rotates in a circular motion it will most probably have noise
2 cents.

Hmmmm.... I think this doesn't apply to our beloved EF 50mm f/1.8 II - it's front barrel does not rotate during AF... ;)

Canon basically uses 2 different kinds of motors in their lenses. The micro motor and ring ultrasonic motor (USM). 50mm f1.8 uses the cheaper micro motor and this tends to have a bit of noise when focusing.

There are also different kinds of USM. The 50/1.4 drew the short straw and landed up with the noisiest one... it's not much quieter than the 1.8. In fact it's one of the very few (clearly) audible USM motors.

There are also different kinds of USM. The 50/1.4 drew the short straw and landed up with the noisiest one... it's not much quieter than the 1.8. In fact it's one of the very few (clearly) audible USM motors.

50mm F1.4 is using a micro USM and not a full Ring USM... so that affect it focusing speed and sound.....