50mm F1.8 ( Wide Lens?? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

conkeychua

Aug 19, 2009
Hi Bros,

Apologies for another low production question from me.

Would like to know if 50mm F1.8 is a wide angle lens?

If yes then probably im right but if its not, would like to know what category lens is it then?

And then i would also like to find out what is it good for and what is a recommended wide lens.

Thanks alot

50mm is a 'standard' focal length on 35mm film camera aspect. think you might misinterpret the f/1.8 which is a wide aperture instead of wide angle.

50mm is far from being a wide lens....

but anyway, "ultra-wide", "wide", "normal", "telephoto" are just terms used to classify/group these lenses in some way.
Most important is whether 50mm suits the kind of photos you're trying to take with it.

50mm is a wideangle lens on medium format...

Bro Shin, Am using a 500D Canon. So your advise still stays? And how much is the Tokina lens 11-16 and 12-24 roughly?

Also just to clarify ( Cause i only got my camera 3 days ago and interested started less than a week ) as i have the standard canon IS Lens that covers 18mm to 55. And comparing to your mentioned Toknia lens that has a 12 - 24 capability, can i say that my standard lense has 18 to 24 wide as well? Except that my standard lens do not stop at 24?

Cheers!

Bro Zero Cool,

Reading from the forum, it seems that the 50mm F1.8 is alot better then my bundled 18 to 55mm. Is it because of the F1.8?

Thanks alot

Bro Catchlight,

What is 4 by 5 Large Format camera?? I hope its not the size of the camera you mentioned there??

Thanks

Bro Zero Cool,

Reading from the forum, it seems that the 50mm F1.8 is alot better then my bundled 18 to 55mm. Is it because of the F1.8?

Thanks alot

Let me come in the share my view... i kinda newbie but been ard with a 450D for ard 6 mths

50mm is not one to compare with a 18-55 kit lens.. and u cannot replace the 18-55 as 50mm is just too narrow on a crop body like 500D... but 50mm f1.8 is still a good lens to hv since its cheap and it delivers nice bokeh ..

also since its f1.8... i can use it on indoors and at dark (with no flash) ... so for parties, BBQ etc this 50mm is a great lens to hv...

but if onl;y hving a 50mm on a 500D , its is not too practical for group photos esp in indoors when spaces are tighter..

First you need to define the term "better" before you can judge whether a lens fits it.
Better in terms of maximum aperture - yes. Read about aperture and Depth of Field to understand this topic. Better in terms of being versatile - this is highly debated because the limitation of a single focal length (= prime lens) can challenge the photographer to think again about composition instead of turning the zoom ring. But when you are just in your holidays and you just want to get this picture of you and your wife/gf I guess a zoom lens is better instead of "Darling, can you please walk 10 steps back..?" ... and fall into the water.

talking about sharpness.. the 50mm sharpness can match other lens if only at narrow aperture onwards... where F5.6 will give best performance..

u can look at some 100% crop images to show this here: http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_50_1p8_ii_c16/page3.asp

but i hack care.. i always shoot in F1.8 to F2.8 (i try to use aperture as narrow as possible if i want better sharpness)

Bros,

So meaning to say to have a complete all round shoot, I need to own a 18 - 55mm lens, probably a zoom lens which is my current 55-250mm, a wide angle lens ( Am going to look for one so any recommendation? Probably smaller mm is better? 10-20mm? ) and maybe a macro lens? ( Can anyone tell me macro lens is what kinda mm?? ) then i should have a complete all rounder? I just want to have a general all round set of lens and not professional all round.

Also thanks for all the replies and help.

Cheers!

Are you sure you gonna need that many lenses?

buy what you need thats what i always advise ;)

Bros,

So meaning to say to have a complete all round shoot, I need to own a 18 - 55mm lens, probably a zoom lens which is my current 55-250mm, a wide angle lens ( Am going to look for one so any recommendation? Probably smaller mm is better? 10-20mm? ) and maybe a macro lens? ( Can anyone tell me macro lens is what kinda mm?? ) then i should have a complete all rounder? I just want to have a general all round set of lens and not professional all round.

Also thanks for all the replies and help.

Cheers!

Ok just to get the terminology straight:

Zoom lens = Any lens with focal lengths that is variable

Prime lens = Any lens with a fixed focal length.

Wide lens = camera lens with a relatively short focal length that permits an angle of view wider than approximately 70°.

Telephoto lens = camera lens with higher magnification that is able to direct a narrow but magnified view of a scene to the camera's image sensor. What focal length lenses pass for telephoto depends on the size of the sensor used in the camera. Typically a lens with a 80mm or longer focal length will be considered telephoto on a 35mm film camera.

Standard lens = lens covering the range between WA and Tele. this usually includes 50mm (35mm equiv, aka Full Frame).

So, you can have wide angle zoom, telephoto zoom, or standard zoom. You can also have wide angle prime, telephoto prime and standard prime.

Opps, I missed the macro one. You can read up on marco here. All the info is there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_photography

There is no fixed focal length for macro. What you want to read up is the deal about magnification ratio (1:X term).

BTW, google is your friend. Use it. ;)

So meaning to say to have a complete all round shoot,

For general photography, you want to keep your lenses as minimal as possible.
Your kit lens (18-55) plus your 55-200 tele-zoom is already enough.

If you want to do macro photography, you should just get the Raynox and attach it to either your kit lens or 55-200 lens. It will be more than enough. Quality is very good and it is a lot cheaper than getting a dedicated macro lens.

That's all the lenses you need for general photography.

You are missing one important thing other than lenses. You need a flash gun with a diffuser. That will help you in the low-light event and portrait photography as well as lighting up your subjects in macro photography.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.