50mm f1.8 or 70-300mm f5.6 for Fashion shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachinohms

Mar 21, 2009
Experts !! please help me on this...

I have following lens

Nikon 18-55mm Kit lens
50mm F1.8
70-300 F5.6

should i use Nikon 50mm f1.8 or Nikon 70-300mm f5.6 for fashion / portrait night shoot.

Any advantanges / disadvantages.

Thanks in advance for your comments..:)

It all depends on your distance to the model, available amount of light and whether you have a flash.

i don't have external flash... :(

i don't have external flash... :(

Which crimps your options.

You can shoot with the on-board flash, but effects won't be too good.

With the 50mm, you can open up the aperture but you'd lose DOF and also the range is limited.

With the other 2 lenses, you'd need to stop down to get sharpness. And with the limited light, you'd need external sources, aka a good flash.

Go try it with the external flash if you are able to test shoot. And you'll see how it performs.

you never mentioned whether it's indoor or outdoor, 1 model or multiple models in the photo, all these factors will affect your choice of lens

actually if your shoot is in the day you can still use the 50/1.8 to good effect.. but if at night, you should try to get an external flash and either:

1. use it off-camera (strobist style)

2. bounce it off some available surface (planetneil.com style)

rent one!!!! seriously u will need an external flash...

you need to know how is the ambience lighting before you even consider using flash.

knowing where to stand, knowing if the ambience lighting is good enough for your lens, knowing the limitation of your lens, plays a part in deciding if you need that flash.

to TS:

rent one. you MIGHT need it. doesnt mean you have to use it, if the ambience lighting is good enough, IMO.

It really depends on the situation. You've gotta give us more info.

50mm is really not enough if you are standing a certain distance away.. and if you are shooting in a dark environment; f/5.6 is hardly enough ...

and external flash is important!

largely depends on the available light. Use outdoor lightings or strobes. But if you're serious on Nikon 70-300mm f5.6 the cam shake itself will kill you. 50mm f1.8 is most feasible among the lot.

Thanks a lot for your comments... I will go and buy a flash now...:D

i don think u need external flash if u got a 70-200 f2.8, but u'll need to see which are the spots that will give nice ambience lighting.

flash is like make u look pro, but then hard to control hahaha.

I worship the ppl who can control the flash light!

I'm also a newbie here in clubsnap,

depends on the condition of place.

if in the fashion shoot you will be in a steady area, 70-300 is preferred.
otherwise use 50mm cause you can emphasize the subject.

most fashion shoot specially clothes are well lighted.

enjoy shooting...

You going for some organised paid shoot in CS?

then stick to the 50mm, trust me

Status
Not open for further replies.