50mm F1.8 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rongwei82

Oct 5, 2006
Singapore
Hi guys, just wondering if you guys have any advice when using the lens?

Did try out the lens but seems like its quite hard to get a sharp focus...:confused:

Taken some shots at the Motorshow using the lens. Some of the shots was sharp and clear but some was like blur and not very clear....:cry:

Check the shutter speed (more than 1/60) before i took the shots, can it be due to handshake at such shutter speed...:think:

Is it because of the distance between me and the model? Find that when i standing closer to them, the shots are much more clearer compared to those i took from quite far...:dunno:

Or is it because of the DOF? Been using f2.8 thru out.

Pls advise...:sweat:

Did try out the lens but seems like its quite hard to get a sharp focus...:confused:

Taken some shots at the Motorshow using the lens. Some of the shots was sharp and clear but some was like blur and not very clear....:cry:

Check the shutter speed (more than 1/60) before i took the shots, can it be due to handshake at such shutter speed...:think:

Is it because of the distance between me and the model? Find that when i standing closer to them, the shots are much more clearer compared to those i took from quite far...:dunno:

Try using F5.6 to shoot. Sharpness will be there at F5.6 for mine. Bigger than F5.6 quite soft for mine. your "blur and not very clear" should be soft, try 1/80 or 1/100 to shoot if you have shaky hands. =)

rongwei82

Oct 5, 2006
Singapore
Try using F5.6 to shoot. Sharpness will be there at F5.6 for mine. Bigger than F5.6 quite soft for mine. your "blur and not very clear" should be soft, try 1/80 or 1/100 to shoot if you have shaky hands. =)
Hmm...but if i'm going to use F5.6 then i wont be able to blur out my background?

Tot of using a wider aperture to blur out the bg and making my subject clear and sharp...:bsmilie:

Been using one-shot drive, will using ai-servo been a better choice?

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
hi ts

for a 50mm lens shooting at 1/60 speed, even with 1.5 or 1.6 crop factor should not be a problem to get sharp photos. practice practice and more practice your handing of camera, the way you stand and your breathing.

You can still blur off your background. see how "blur" lor.. that's bokeh lurh..

F5.6 still can do wad... you use F11 then i start wondering lol.. Use wider aperture = More Light go in, More Bokeh, can use faster shutter speed.

One Shot will be good if the subject is not moving, AI-Servo during the Motorshow? ><" You use AI-Servo sometimes you wont know if your subject is focused because there is no beep.

Use One Shot is still the best.. =) haha

David Kwok

Aug 23, 2008
Singapore
www.flickr.com
Focus and shoot, don't recompose, will likely affect the sharpness due to shallow DOF. Drop down to f/2.8, should still give the bokeh you required and get sharper image. Breath in, let out 1/4 of air in your lungs, shoot. Don't stay there aiming for a long time, your hands will shake.

ahbian

May 23, 2006

Will you want to put up your photos? Are you using a single AF point?

May 26, 2004
nippon
www.flickr.com
I had the problem ab4...and I was using auto AF.... then I notice some of my pix is OOF cos of the auto AF....
Now I'm using single point AF, whereby I wanted focus what I want to shot.

Take a look of this pix. BTW I'm using 50MM f1.4.
So I think should be the same logic....

anyway, I still new....

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420504

Last edited:

rongwei82

Oct 5, 2006
Singapore
Focus and shoot, don't recompose, will likely affect the sharpness due to shallow DOF. Drop down to f/2.8, should still give the bokeh you required and get sharper image. Breath in, let out 1/4 of air in your lungs, shoot. Don't stay there aiming for a long time, your hands will shake.
Hmmm, recompose will affect the focus? Shall really try it out..thanks a lot..:bsmilie:

rongwei82

Oct 5, 2006
Singapore
Alright guys, i think it really got to do with my shutter speed and my breathing..thanks a lot for the tons of advise...;)

Really appreciate so much...:sweat:

rongwei82

Oct 5, 2006
Singapore
You can still blur off your background. see how "blur" lor.. that's bokeh lurh..

F5.6 still can do wad... you use F11 then i start wondering lol.. Use wider aperture = More Light go in, More Bokeh, can use faster shutter speed.

One Shot will be good if the subject is not moving, AI-Servo during the Motorshow? ><" You use AI-Servo sometimes you wont know if your subject is focused because there is no beep.

Use One Shot is still the best.. =) haha
Haha, i agree..:thumbsup:

lastboltnut

Mar 23, 2006
Where the wind blows...
Sorry, just to check, did you use AF-S, AF-A or AF-C mode? Hopefully the cam did not re-focus after you re-compose...it may be the reason...just in case.:)

tuanda82

May 10, 2008
Hi. I'm new here. My friend told me this lense is best for portraits which <200$. Wonder if it's true???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom