50mm f1.4 or 85mm f1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm... okie...
probably will get one if I manage to find one below 250 in HK as that is my remaining budget after getting the 85mm. Will be leaving early tomorrow morning so won't be checking back for a while. Meanwhile thanks to everyone who has contributed to my queries, happy valentines day and a great week(end) ahead for everyone. Cheers:gbounce:

As far as focal length is concerned, best way is to try. I don't find 85mm too tight for indoors either, even for HDB flats and hotel rooms. I use them for half body shots and head shots, and my 50mm for full body shots and half body shots.

Bottom line is, try for yourself using a zoom or something instead of just hearing the styles of other people. There're even a sizeable number of people who insist 35mm is too wide for portraits, and I'm slowly learning on how untrue that is.

Ah_K said:
hmmm... okie...
probably will get one if I manage to find one below 250 in HK as that is my remaining budget after getting the 85mm. Will be leaving early tomorrow morning so won't be checking back for a while. Meanwhile thanks to everyone who has contributed to my queries, happy valentines day and a great week(end) ahead for everyone. Cheers:gbounce:

Gd luck Ah_K!

shinken said:
As far as focal length is concerned, best way is to try. I don't find 85mm too tight for indoors either, even for HDB flats and hotel rooms. I use them for half body shots and head shots, and my 50mm for full body shots and half body shots.

Bottom line is, try for yourself using a zoom or something instead of just hearing the styles of other people. There're even a sizeable number of people who insist 35mm is too wide for portraits, and I'm slowly learning on how untrue that is.

50mm have to stand closer in order to get just face shots. Zooms can also take portraits unless u're willing to sacrifice quality to a prime.

I tried the 85mm before for a week and returned it in exchange for another lens. ONLY reason I returned it was that its too similar to my 100mm.

I found the min focussing distance a real problem but that can be overcome by an extension tube. The 85mm body is a tad better than the 50mm imho. Overall quality of shots also very good as many owners attest.

I plan to get one again - when I finally get my full frame camera.

Canonized said:
I tried the 85mm before for a week and returned it in exchange for another lens. ONLY reason I returned it was that its too similar to my 100mm.

I found the min focussing distance a real problem but that can be overcome by an extension tube. The 85mm body is a tad better than the 50mm imho. Overall quality of shots also very good as many owners attest.

I plan to get one again - when I finally get my full frame camera.

i've tried the 85mm and quality is very sharp, even minute details can be seen clearly.

Hi guys... been busy since I got back from HK...
got my hands on a few lens while I was there...
If any of you going down to HK... really recommend you guys to go to Tin Cheung Camera Shop as their price is really competitive and their salesman is top notch.

Got the 85mm as recommended by many here and was very pleased with my new baby.
Here are some shots to share...

HK181.jpg

HK180.jpg

HK147.jpg

HK143.jpg

HK012.jpg

Ah_K said:
hmm... would like to use for indoors
so i guess 85mm is not the best choice for me then.
sadly only have budget for one of them.
so I have to choose:(
if use indoor, u might want to consider f1.8...cheaper version...not much diff if using f8 or smaller aperture

Ah_K said:
I did get the f1.8 version. 'L' lens is way way over my budget
very happy with the 1.8 I got ;)

So how much do you end up paying for the 1.8 in HK ?

I have both too, if you have FF DSLR, 85mm is better choice. but if yours is 1.6x DSLR, 50mm will be better for portrait.

Among 50/1.4 and 50/1.8, i will still choose 1.4 because of better build, metal mount, USM and more aperture blade = better bokeh. It is not ultra sharp at wide open, but if you stop down at the same aperture as 1.8, certainly the 1.4 will be sharper.

If you think 50/1.4 is not worth the premium over 50/1.8...

what about 85/1.8 vs 85/1.2? The price is $600+ vs $3500+ :bigeyes:

somemore, the old 85/1.2 has a much slower AF

Wai said:
I have both too, if you have FF DSLR, 85mm is better choice. but if yours is 1.6x DSLR, 50mm will be better for portrait.

Among 50/1.4 and 50/1.8, i will still choose 1.4 because of better build, metal mount, USM and more aperture blade = better bokeh. It is not ultra sharp at wide open, but if you stop down at the same aperture as 1.8, certainly the 1.4 will be sharper.

If you think 50/1.4 is not worth the premium over 50/1.8...

what about 85/1.8 vs 85/1.2? The price is $600+ vs $3500+ :bigeyes:

somemore, the old 85/1.2 has a much slower AF

Now the latest 85mm f/1.2L II USM have canon's latest USM which has a faster AF.

There's a Canon 85f1.8 selling at the camera workshop (peninsular)..

bangkuangz said:
So how much do you end up paying for the 1.8 in HK ?

I visited a few shops. Got it at about $560 at Man Shing. But I reckon could have got it at cheaper price if I had held out until I reach Tin Cheung which was the last shop I visited. They quoted the best price for both the Sigma 70-300DG and 10-20mm. Cannot be 100% sure thou, as I did not ask for the price of the 85mm f1.8. Did not want to be "Tui" and :bheart: at hearing the price had it turn out to be much cheaper.

Yup, selling there on consignment at $500, with 5 mths warranty left.

Wanted to upgrade to the 85L, anyone interested can go down to TCM & check it out.

Kongo said:
There's a Canon 85f1.8 selling at the camera workshop (peninsular)..

there is no advantage of one over the other for portraits. it depends on wat type of portraits u wanna take?

head only? with shoulders too? or all the way down to the waist?

the other factor to consider is whether your slr is full-frame or 1.6x, which will affect the final focal length

Actually i was still wondering if the 50mm can be used to take portraits, since portrait lens are said to be 85mm and 135mm. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.