50mm f/1.8

Smiles88

Jun 14, 2010
West
Hi everyone! I have a noob question to ask abt my 50mm f/1.8 lens which i just got today. I found out that when i turn my aperture ring to any value other than 22(minimum), my panel will display fEE. Is this normal or is the lens faulty? Can any senior provide any form of help here?

Last edited:
can't rmb the name of the setting off-hand,
but there should be a setting in your menu to let the camera know you are choosing the aperture from the aperture ring, instead of using the dial to control.

Hi everyone! I have a noob question to ask abt my 50mm f/1.8 lens which i just got today. I found out that when i turn my aperture ring to any value other than 22(minimum), my panel will display fEE. Is this normal or is the lens faulty? Can any senior provide any form of help here?

its normal,

just set the aperture ring to 22, and lock it, adjust the aperture using the front dial on ya d90...

Last edited:
but there should be a setting in your menu to let the camera know you are choosing the aperture from the aperture ring, instead of using the dial to control.

I always thought it couldn't be done manually... anyway it's much easier to set aperture with the camera :)

TS. Yes it's normal. Leave the aperture ring at f/22 and lock it there.

Ok. Thanks everyone! Got me worried for a moment. Another thing is tt i notice tt the AF takes a long time to focus, or fails to AF

Ok. Thanks everyone! Got me worried for a moment. Another thing is tt i notice tt the AF takes a long time to focus, or fails to AF

What subject are you trying to take? Is it due to low light or low contrast?

Only D200 upwards you can choose aperture from the aperture ring. D90 and below you must choose aperture with the command or sub-command dials.

are you focusing on an object which lack contrast?:dunno:

as the other bro have mentioned, did u try to focus in super low light and areas that lack contrast, try turning on ya assist illuminator...(jeesh wrong spelling i guess.)

I switched off the af assist illuminator. Subject was lens cap against a light brown background just under my living room light.

Anyway bro, u got the spelling right

I switched off the af assist illuminator. Subject was lens cap against a light brown background just under my living room light.

try focusing with the illuminator on...

That is a low contrast subject you're trying to focus. You can "guide" your camera, by focusing at the in-betweens of the lens cap and the brown background.

You should also trying using your AF assist. It gives off a light to illuminate your subject, which helps in focusing.

Only D200 upwards you can choose aperture from the aperture ring. D90 and below you must choose aperture with the command or sub-command dials.

oh, didn't know about that.
thanks, else i guess TS will be looking up and down for the function :bsmilie:

Make sure you are not focusing closer than the lens MFD.

Why do u need to operate with ur aperture ring?

Unless you have a OLD AI/AIS MF lens, on all AF lenses like the 50f1.8 you only have to change the aperture in any mode (M A S P). The camera can only do that if you've got the physical, manual control ring on the lens set to the tightest position (say, f22, in your case). The locking mechanism is just there to make sure you don't inadvertantly bump the lens out of that important position.

Yah, Thats the Non-CPU (Manual Focus) Lens Data, it should be in the custom settings menu and where you enter the focal length and f/stop via this menu.

You also get aperture data in the finder in A/M mode.

But its not require here unless TS using an OLD AI/AIS lens where aperture control on cam is not allowed.

:)

Another thing is tt i notice tt the AF takes a long time to focus, or fails to AF

Depends on the subjects u intend to take, high constrasty/indistinguishable front back (like pets in a cage) - Hard to AF (its in ur manual i think)

And depends on the lighting environment - too dim/dark AF takes lotsa hunting and slow to lock a focus.. thats common and where MF comes in :)

Why do u need to operate with ur aperture ring?

Unless you have a OLD AI/AIS MF lens, on all AF lenses like the 50f1.8 you only have to change the aperture in any mode (M A S P). The camera can only do that if you've got the physical, manual control ring on the lens set to the tightest position (say, f22, in your case). The locking mechanism is just there to make sure you don't inadvertantly bump the lens out of that important position.

I was just exploring and testing out the lens when I discovered this. hehe. aft tt I used the front command dial to change the aperture.

Depends on the subjects u intend to take, high constrasty/indistinguishable front back (like pets in a cage) - Hard to AF (its in ur manual i think)

And depends on the lighting environment - too dim/dark AF takes lotsa hunting and slow to lock a focus.. thats common and where MF comes in :)

I see. I feel that MF is also quite nice to play around with. I only use AF when I'm lazy to MF. Btw NNB I saw your post. The one which you shot the 24-70 in a shop. wah. make me a bit tempted ah...

bro, don't mind lend your thread ask something similar. Can i use this lens to take landscape?

All lens can be used to take landscape, depends on what u want to present/convey.

The FOV (esp if coupled with DX cams) might be abit restricted to some though.