50mm f/1.8 AF-D vs Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1kid

Sep 22, 2008
Can i know is there a lot of pic quality difference between this 2 lens?

i heard that Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S have quite some distortion compare to 50mm f/1.8 AF-D.

whereas price wise can i know the market price for this 2 lens? i hope it is not too far apart from the pricing...

Can i know is there a lot of pic quality difference between this 2 lens?

i heard that Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S have quite some distortion compare to 50mm f/1.8 AF-D.

whereas price wise can i know the market price for this 2 lens? i hope it is not too far apart from the pricing...

Distortion??? They're both 50mm lenses, not wide-angle lenses.

1. Read reviews:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

2. Look in the Priceguide forum category for the market price.

I reckon TS is referring to barrel distortion which exists in Canon top-of-line 50 f/1.2L on Full Frame... booo...

I reckon TS is referring to barrel distortion which exists in Canon top-of-line 50 f/1.2L on Full Frame... booo...

Ah, that is possible, yes. But that's mainly for the 50mm f/1.2 though.

but through u all experiences the distortion really significant?

You can check the price guide for the current price.

As for the distortion, I think it is tolerable. It is quite common amongst fast lenses.

the distortion is honestly not very serious(well, not to me at least) on FF (esp if you're shooting architectural, you won't like it)

but on crop it's entirely fine.

price wise, let's just say it's worth every cent paid.

price diff is 700 odd dollars brand new, for a rough guide check out the nikon price guide here

700 plus is quite expensive... maybe i buy 1.8 first then upgrade later ba

Really depends how you shoot things on day-to-day basis. I am a sucker for having straight axis, just my style and unfortunately this is where the shortcoming of the 50 f/1.2L is. Not to mention, this is coming from a $2.3K lens... booooo. But maybe the Nikon's 50mm aren't as bad. I've always thought barrel should be close to none for such focal lengths...... am so wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.