50mm attached in reverse????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creating a Micro (Macro) lens out of a 50mm lens ...., quite a simple method actually, you just need to buy a reverse ring.

Yeah, lens reversing is one technique for doing macro shots.

This is a quote on how/why it works..

"The reason this sometimes works to improve magnification is that the optical center of the lens is not necessarily in the physical center. By reversing the lens, you may be (and in fact, usually are) moving the optical center further from the film. As you recall, the standard lens formula tells you that this causes the focus to move closer to the camera, thus increasing the magnification."

Have a look here for info about using a BR-2A lens reversing ring that you can use on your F100

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/close-up_macro/macro_5.html

i do it without a reverse ring...

DesmondnJoyce02.jpg

i juz set the aperature on the lens and the shutter speed on the camera and hold the lens in reverse close to the body...

when using this technique u will notice tt to focus u need to move closer or further away from the subject with the lens.....only the centre of the image will be dead sharp...the rest will turn out quite soft.....

u meter the normal way first....then u set the aperture etc etc......

You mean like this:
shagging-butts.jpg

Exposure fully manual, you have to learn from experience. Meter first can but be sure to adjust for lighting changes. Then focus by moving.... :what:

Witness, Watcher:

So a rough guide is you first meter the subject with the lens mounted right way up, take note of settings, and preserve the aperture and shutterspeed when reversing it together with appropriate compensation(???) ?

wah, I can foresee lots of expensive experimentation with film... :sweat:

anyone volunteer to do a MO for reverse ring on Canon 50mm lens? :embrass:

shortcake said:
thanks guys... this hobby is getting just a little bit overwhelming... :)
don't u already have 2 macro lenses? maybe u can look at the option of closeup filter or extension tubes, i'm able to get 1:2 macro with a +4 hoya @ 300mm, the quality of 500D and 250D should be much better if u wan better filter. u can stack the closeup filters for more closeup. also u can still AF but limited range

btw, do u find that the F60 have slight amount of shutter lag?

quekky said:
don't u already have 2 macro lenses? maybe u can look at the option of closeup filter or extension tubes, i'm able to get 1:2 macro with a +4 hoya @ 300mm, the quality of 500D and 250D should be much better if u wan better filter. u can stack the closeup filters for more closeup. also u can still AF but limited range

btw, do u find that the F60 have slight amount of shutter lag?

I only have one macro lens lah... but it still can't get me as close as I'd like it to.

I'm not gonna use the N60 for macro. Using the F100 (now I also have a D70... yippee)

But anyway, thanks for the tips! :) I'm going shopping this weekend for filters actually.

E1g3 said:
anyone volunteer to do a MO for reverse ring on Canon 50mm lens? :embrass:

Yo yo yo. If this is happening please count me in. I've been looking for a reversal ring for quite sometime. I have a male to male one but what I really want is one side Canon lens mount and the other is a 52 mm thread for teh lens. If anyone has that and want to sell it please let me know.

Do they have the one I mentioned above? I could not find it anywhere.

eh...the ring photo was the first time i did the technique...took 3 shots haha....got lucky i guess.....can try using the d70 also.....works the same way...

personally u prefer to do in reverse....coz i like the softness tt it gives with only one super sharp focal point..

justarius said:
Witness, Watcher:

So a rough guide is you first meter the subject with the lens mounted right way up, take note of settings, and preserve the aperture and shutterspeed when reversing it together with appropriate compensation(???) ?

wah, I can foresee lots of expensive experimentation with film... :sweat:

It's not actually difficult as you thought, you can meter and AF while it's attached in reverse.. just like a +25 closeup filter attach to your lens. :)

Sgt. Pepper said:
It's not actually difficult as you thought, you can meter and AF while it's attached in reverse.. just like a +25 closeup filter attach to your lens. :)

eh you are talking about reversing a lens infront of another lens already attached to your camera right? I was under the impression that we were talking about attaching the reversed lens directly onto the camera body, without a lens in between.... :dunno: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.