50mm AND 35mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowyuan

Nov 5, 2006
I am going to pick up my 50mm f/1.8d soon. I am also picking up a 35mm f/2.

Though these are Nikon primes, I just wanted to know the general use for the lenses. Does any one negate the other?

Am I making a mistake in getting the both of them?

35 will do well for wideangles, obviously because its wider. It's also easier to take group portraits with it compared to the 50mm. 50mm for single person portraits.

I have both. Some say it's better off just getting the 35mm F/2, but i think the two lens complement each other, in terms of focal length. In general i do use my 35mm more, as it's wider for obvious reasons. When i do need that extra reach i'll switch on the 50 or maybe even the 85.

Haha, yeah I think a 85 + 35 is a better combination, and is what I'd like to have eventually. 50 and 35 seems too close, but for the most part should work just fine together.

I have both. Some say it's better off just getting the 35mm F/2, but i think the two lens complement each other, in terms of focal length. In general i do use my 35mm more, as it's wider for obvious reasons. When i do need that extra reach i'll switch on the 50 or maybe even the 85.

I have 50f1.4 and 35f2...hahahaha
my only reason is i cannot afford the 85f1.4 yet.....
50mm not much use for me. Sharp but Bokeh so so niah....maybe it is good for studio 2/3 body shot...

should get 85F1.4 and 35F2(this is great for portrait with background) if u can afford.

35 is not really wide, esp on a dslr.

35+85 seems more logical.

despite the raves abt the 50mm f1.8, i found very few uses for it.

despite the raves abt the 50mm f1.8, i found very few uses for it.

dats becos the 50/1.8 is the best $/performance lens in nikon's lineup. it's been always one of the first lenses any new shooter will buy for low-light/available light shooting. ;)

the 35/2 is nice... if u can afford almost twice the price for the 50/1.8...

There's never a mistake getting an additional lens. Some people even have more than one 50 mm lens or more than one 35 mm lens.

There's never a mistake getting an additional lens. Some people even have more than one 50 mm lens or more than one 35 mm lens.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

This is classic BBB virus!

I was thinking of going for these two initially... but drop the idea and went for the 20mm F/2.8 instead... I think the wide 20mm suits my style of shooting more than a 35mm F/2...

50mm... I'll give it a pass unless I can grab a good cheap 1.8...

if i have a choice, i would get the 35mm and a 85mm or a 105mm. the 35mm is a great walkabout lens, not exactly super wide but it does give you this comfortable feeling that what you see with your eyes will be captured almost entirely on the frame. on my 18-55mm i found myself zooming in to 35mm very often especially if i am talking shots of say a motorcycle on the side walk or my neighbours merc SL500. then maybe the 85 or 105 for head portraits. but i've not tried it. i have a 50mm 1.8 at the moment and i find it pretty alright except that i have to take a couple step back when trying to frame something i see with my eyes.

If you yourself do not know what you are buying the two lenses for. Why buy them at all to begin with? I think you have been reading too much useless BBB threads and not shooting enough.

At this stage, I would say yes you are making an error in getting both lenses. Determine your needs first before you even buy.

I skipped the 50 because I felt I didn't need the intermediate range. Instead choosing to opt for 35/2 and 84/1.4 to cover my shooting needs. But those are my needs. May not be everyone's needs. Some own 20, 24, 28, 35, 50, 60, 85, 105, 135. For reasons only known to themselves. But back to point stressed above determine what YOU NEED before you buy

I've the Nikkor 50 f1.4 but recently juz bought a Sigma 30 f1.4.

Defintely more worth your moolah for the Sigma 30 f1.4.

Get all that you like to use. And dun forget about the digital difference.

Personally, I'd like to have 24, 35, 50, 85, 105, etc and cover all my bases...

If you yourself do not know what you are buying the two lenses for. Why buy them at all to begin with? I think you have been reading too much useless BBB threads and not shooting enough.

At this stage, I would say yes you are making an error in getting both lenses. Determine your needs first before you even buy.

I skipped the 50 because I felt I didn't need the intermediate range. Instead choosing to opt for 35/2 and 84/1.4 to cover my shooting needs. But those are my needs. May not be everyone's needs. Some own 20, 24, 28, 35, 50, 60, 85, 105, 135. For reasons only known to themselves. But back to point stressed above determine what YOU NEED before you buy

My exact sentiments regarding buying the 2 lenses before determining one's need and usage. I bought a 50mm f1.8 becos everyone raves about it being a cheap and fast lens..... but I hardly use it.

u can always sall it at a huge loss (deep discount)

I bought a 50mm f1.8 becos everyone raves about it being a cheap and fast lens..... but I hardly use it.

i see your point! i've got a 50mm f1.8 too. but i use it quite abit. i guess i take it out when my other lenses start to ask for flash when there's not enough light, especially if its dim, like indoors or in a temple or church where lighting isn't great. then again, the 50mm is pretty sharp compared to most of my other zooms so i guess it would be great when you want some detail too. i had great fun with it along chinatown because the bokeh was great at f1.8 which allowed me to get great snaps at people walking around without the subjects in background messing it up...

i see your point! i've got a 50mm f1.8 too. but i use it quite abit. i guess i take it out when my other lenses start to ask for flash when there's not enough light, especially if its dim, like indoors or in a temple or church where lighting isn't great. then again, the 50mm is pretty sharp compared to most of my other zooms so i guess it would be great when you want some detail too. i had great fun with it along chinatown because the bokeh was great at f1.8 which allowed me to get great snaps at people walking around without the subjects in background messing it up...

No doubt about the quality of the lens. I hardly use it doesn't mean I dun use it. I find that a zoom like my kit lens serves my shooting style better.

u can always sall it at a huge loss (deep discount)

It was not expensive, to sell at deep discount, I rather just keep it with me, since it is also very light to just bring along.

My mistake was not understanding my needs and succumbing to the BBB virus. I dont regret buying that lens, just that it is under-utilised.

Thanks but all I really needed to know was which type suited what. I guess I'm fortunate enough to buy without (seriously) thinking of what I need them for. I know you're thinking... what a DUD! But I honestly just wanted to play around with my lens and try to understand abit more about what you guys use it for so that I can go play with it on my own.

I really appreciate the contributions to this thread. Great to hear some of your opinions so keep them coming!

Select your lenses base on the angle of view. In my opinion the 35mm is more versatile lens than the 50mm on cropped sensor DSLRs. But a better choice would be a 28mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.