50mm af-s f1.4G vs 50mm af-s f1.8G vs af-s 85mm f1.8G

billydoe

Aug 11, 2012
singapore
I am planning to buy a prime len but I can't decide which one to choose. I am using D5000. Please advise

billydoe said:
I am planning to buy a prime len but I can't decide which one to choose. I am using D5000. Please advise

How is your kit lens? 18-55 or 18-105?

If you're 18 -105mm then just zoom to 50 & 85mm please shoot at 2 distance 1st and view from your screen and see which one you preferring.

Follow by asking for some brother here on the same length but different aperture & how does the bokeh? If decide for f1.8 or f1.4 which one should I go?

Thanks

If you need to ask, then I suggest you really really think it through if you really need these lenses. The first primes I will get for the D5000 if i am in your shoes, will be 35/1.8G and 50/1.8G

How is your kit lens? 18-55 or 18-105?

If you're 18 -105mm then just zoom to 50 & 85mm please shoot at 2 distance 1st and view from your screen and see which one you preferring.

Follow by asking for some brother here on the same length but different aperture & how does the bokeh? If decide for f1.8 or f1.4 which one should I go?

Thanks

Those prime lens are FX lenses. Since you are using FX lens on a DX D5000 camera, you may need to apply approx. 1.5 crop factor. Meaning you need to zoom to ~75mm and ~128mm to test the 50mm and 85mm respectively. Therefore, some DX camera users may choose 35mm prime to get an equivalent 50mm on a FX camera. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just get a afs 35mm for a start , can't go wrong .

Don't worry about fx or dx , any lens you use will be 1.5x

Use you legs for composing , just remember to get Afs or

You loose auto focus ability .

If you need to ask, then I suggest you really really think it through if you really need these lenses. The first primes I will get for the D5000 if i am in your shoes, will be 35/1.8G and 50/1.8G

Do you mean 1.4G is not much different with 1.8G but the price is twice.

1.4G for S$500 and 1.8G for S$260 ( used) lens.. Hard to decide.

Last edited:
desmondckw said:
Those prime lens are FX lenses. Since you are using FX lens on a DX D5000 camera, you may need to apply approx. 1.5 crop factor. Meaning you need to zoom to ~75mm and ~128mm to test the 50mm and 85mm respectively. Therefore, some DX camera users may choose 35mm prime to get an equivalent 50mm on a FX camera. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wrong. FX or DX focal lengths are the same. Kit lens set at 50mm and 50mm FX prime are exactly the same. 35mm DX is so designated as it does not cover FX frame.

I am using 18-55 mm kit lens. Can't decide whether 1.4 G is worth to buy ( double the price of 1.8G).

Yes . Some people advise that if I choose 50mm FX lens on DX body then it will equal to 70mm so recommanded for portraits.

Just get a afs 35mm for a start , can't go wrong .

Don't worry about fx or dx , any lens you use will be 1.5x

Use you legs for composing , just remember to get Afs or

You loose auto focus ability .

so 85 X 1.5 will be too far for portraits . I think. some advise 50mm (75mm at DX) will be just nice.

Wrong. FX or DX focal lengths are the same. Kit lens set at 50mm and 50mm FX prime are exactly the same. 35mm DX is so designated as it does not cover FX frame.

You mean 50mm kit lens on DX camera is the same as 50mm FX lens on FX camera ? I agree with you. How about 50mm FX lens on DX camera ?

so 85 X 1.5 will be too far for portraits . I think. some advise 50mm (75mm at DX) will be just nice.

Actually if you read my post , I advise on 35mm and use you legs for composition.
So if you move closer to subject you get to do your portrait shot too.
Experiment and decide what focus length you prefer, from there to will
be able to decide if you need 50mm , 85mm even 105mm.
Im on fx body and I frequently use 50mm , 135mm and 150mm
for portrait shot (depending indoor or outdoor)

I suggest 35 f1.8. Which u can include some background to your photo.
I'm using 50 f1.8g on FF body, so 35mm on DX body almost equal to 50mm on FF.
Anywhere still depend on what u want to shoot.

desmondckw said:
You mean 50mm kit lens on DX camera is the same as 50mm FX lens on FX camera ? I agree with you. How about 50mm FX lens on DX camera ?

50mm is 50mm on FX or DX, what change is the view on DX cameras. On DX camera 50mm lens the view is like 75mm lens on FX camera. On FX camera the view is 50mm. 35mm DX lens or 35mm FX lens will look the same on DX camera. 35mm on DX the view is similar to the view of 50mm on FX. 50mm kit lens has the same view as 50mm FX lens on DX camera, which looks like 75mm view on FX camera. The mm part does not get changed whether it is FX lens or DX lens. The view on DX camera gets to be 1.5x of the focal length marked. DX lens won't cover FX frame. Get it?

Last edited:
Eddie77 said:
I suggest 35 f1.8. Which u can include some background to your photo.
I'm using 50 f1.8g on FF body, so 35mm on DX body almost equal to 50mm on FF.
Anywhere still depend on what u want to shoot.

35mm will be good for half body portrait. 50mm head and shoulder. 85mm for tight portrait. This is for the usual working distance where photographer can talk to model easily. All 3 lenses are f1.8 so are quite equivalent in low light part. Bokeh of all 3 lenses not too different. DOF goes shallower with longer lens, all things equal. If in doubt get 35 or 50 first.

desmondckw said:

wake up. buddy. i suggest u go google. or Do.a.seArch.

a 50mm focal length will always be a 50mm Focal length be it fx or dx.

the more correct, a focal length 50mm lens on dx yield an equivalent FOV of a 75mm on fx.

rethink , Sir, if a focal length 50mm lenses on dx = 75mm focal length if on fx, then every 1 will get dx system, and every lenses will do magically automatically have x 1.5 in foca lenght.....
tio bo?

diediealsomustdive said:
35mm will be good for half body portrait. 50mm head and shoulder. 85mm for tight portrait. This is for the usual working distance where photographer can talk to model easily. All 3 lenses are f1.8 so are quite equivalent in low light part. Bokeh of all 3 lenses not too different. DOF goes shallower with longer lens, all things equal. If in doubt get 35 or 50 first.

heehhee to complicate thingys, can ConSider the afs 28mm f/1.8g nano lens .p