50mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4

Marcus7

Oct 10, 2011
Chinatown
Greetings to all,I am still a newbie in photography & i need some guidance in this 50mm lens...I have tried using a 1.8 & found that its not too bad except for the noisy focussing & the build quality.Right now,i am considering to upgrade to a 1.4 therefore i would like those bros that have used the 1.4 or own this particular lens now,to drop some pointers as to what will be the differences between this 2 lens...besides the fact that its much quieter when focussing,has better "bokeh"& of course the price range is between $400-$500...What would be the deciding factor?Gurus of CS pls stand up...Thanks veri much!:dunno:

Last edited:
Greetings to all,I am still a newbie in photography & i need some guidance in this 50mm lens...I have tried using a 1.8 & found that its not too bad except for the noisy focussing & the build quality.Right now,i am considering to upgrade to a 1.4 therefore i would like those bros that have used the 1.4 or own this particular lens now,to drop some pointers as to what will be the differences between this 2 lens...besides the fact that its much quieter when focussing,has better "bokeh"& of course the price range is between $400-$500...What would be the deciding factor?Gurus of CS pls stand up...Thanks veri much!:dunno:

i suppose you are a canon user? you might want to consider sigma's 50mm instead...

if you're a newbie may i suggest getting the much cheaper 1.8 first AND finding out what it can do first

THEN when it cannot get you the DoF that you want , to consider an alternative

Right now,i am considering to upgrade to a 1.4 therefore i would like those bros that have used the 1.4 or own this particular lens now,to drop some pointers as to what will be the differences between this 2 lens...besides the fact that its much quieter when focussing,has better "bokeh"& of course the price range is between $400-$500...

You already answered yourself, the extra dollars go to better focusing motor, nicer built, better glass. Since you are new I suggest you play with your f/1.8 more until you fully understands its limitations.

Yup. You basically get an upgrade of almost everything by going from the 50mm f/1.8 to f/1.4.

If you want to make the plunge, go for it. At least you know the f/1.4 can do everything your f/1.8 can.

If you don't feel like making the expenditure, then just drop the idea.

I've even seen cases where a 50mm f/1.8 has better bokeh than the 1.4, due to newer construction methods, materials and technology in the design.