50D inconsistent white balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreaXion

Jun 15, 2006
Planet Earth
Just bought the 50D. Find that the wb is pretty inconsistent. Anyone facing this issue?

Shoot in RAW or learn to adjust using color temp

even AWB can't consistent when u r moving/changing location.

shoot RAW is the best solution for it

can you elaborate how the camera giving inconsistent white balance? like under what kind circumstance? lighting? WB setting?

The white balance is just not very consistent when shooting under the same lighting conditions within the same location from what I am experiencing during my last 2 shoots. I have do some colour correction after that unlike my 40D.

A moment ago after posting this, I went back to Canon to downgrade my firmware to 1.06 and now, the consistency seems better and I like the colours better. I guess it is a matter of preference.

The white balance is just not very consistent when shooting under the same lighting conditions within the same location from what I am experiencing during my last 2 shoots. I have do some colour correction after that unlike my 40D.

A moment ago after posting this, I went back to Canon to downgrade my firmware to 1.06 and now, the consistency seems better and I like the colours better. I guess it is a matter of preference.
Do you shoot under Auto WB?

or

Do you shoot under florescent lighting with shutter speed higher than 1/60s

Do you shoot under Auto WB?

or

Do you shoot under florescent lighting with shutter speed higher than 1/60s

Basically abt same shutter speed and ISO under AWB. Higher than 1/60s definitely with flash.

I believe Auto WB algorithms aren't perfect, and I choose not to use them when I can, if only to get consistency in color. And like catchlights mentioned, 1/60 is the fastest you should go if you're intending to capture ambient light, because that's the frequency of the current/electricity of fluorescents. Unless you totally drown out ambient light, then it could be your flash problem. And if that's the case, you might as well set the WB to flash WB? =)

Status
Not open for further replies.