50D a Good/Correct Start for Beginners?

Pricless

Jul 16, 2011
Hi All brothers & Sister,

I have been doing quite a fair bit of reading in this forum for the pass 1 month.

Would a 50D be a good start for beginners? Intially I thought of getting a 60D.

All advise are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

If you have been reading, I tot by now you would have gotten your answer?

There will be a price difference for sure, since 1 is an old model. Are stocks still available?
Both will do fine for you, without doubt. I've heard remarks that 60D feels like a retrograde step, since it has simplified some functions.

Do you need an articulating LCD screen? 60D has, 50D doesn't.

Hi All brothers & Sister,

I have been doing quite a fair bit of reading in this forum for the pass 1 month.

Would a 50D be a good start for beginners? Intially I thought of getting a 60D.

All advise are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

So... what have you actually read? If you read the "What DSLR to buy" sticky you should have your answer already.

IMO, all type of cams is suitable for beginners, you just need to poke ard the manual (RTFM) to understand how your new cam works and functions.

- Get an entry level if u got little budget but still wants to own a DSLR
- Get a semi pro level if u got a little more budget
- Get a pro level if u got no budget

There is no such thing like this:

- Entry level for beginners users
- Semi pro for intermediate users
- Pro for professional users

It just depends how deep is your pocket and whether you are hardworking enough to learn how to use your new cam.

Last edited:
Thanks brothers for the fast inputs.

Yes I have been reading but hope that can get more inputs as I dont have any experience handling any of the device. So hope that can get some hands on advice. Reading & feeling might be slightly different.

Thanks for the tips.

Yes I have been reading but hope that can get more inputs as I dont have any experience handling any of the device. So hope that can get some hands on advice. Reading & feeling might be slightly different.

Thanks for the tips.

And everyone else's hand on experience will be different from yours. What's great in my hands may not be in yours. For example, I hate the canon ergonomics and that's why I chose not to use canon. But does that mean it's not comfy for you? No.

As stated in the many many many many many many "help me choose what dslr to get" threads like yours, it is YOU that needs to go down and hold the cameras yourself. You spent one month reading but never even tried holding the cameras yet, then come here and expect other people's hands-on experience to be relevant to you?

Wrong process...

Thanks for the tips.

please go have the hands on the cameras you want to buy. Like Rashkae says, our hands are born differently, what I like (Canon) or Rashkae (Sony) like may not be what you like (maybe Nikon or even Pentax!).

If you want to try, u can always go to Vivo Canon Showroom to feel the cameras. If don't like, just pop by Best Denki and feel other camera brands. Once you are firm on a brand, then go read on the specs and also see if the cost of the camera fits your budget.

Thanks for the reply n will do so.at the same time will be mote mindful with my questions in this forum.

Thanks for the reply n will do so.at the same time will be mote mindful with my questions in this forum.

no worries, as long as you don't exhibit arrogantness in your questions, I am sure we will also reply amicably (we may throw in extra info as well!).

Thanks for the support n wise advice.

If you have decided on Canon, then just get a D60. Except for price, a 50D does not really offer anything over a D60 for photo taking.
If you are not decided, then go try out the other cameras and look at reviews and sample shots from the various cameras avaliable at your budget.

pinholecam said:
If you have decided on Canon, then just get a D60. Except for price, a 50D does not really offer anything over a D60 for photo taking.
If you are not decided, then go try out the other cameras and look at reviews and sample shots from the various cameras avaliable at your budget.

Correction, 60D. Not D60. Or else TS might get confused with an older nikon model.

I think u should budget first. With a price point then see which cameras fall within your budget and try them all. myself I got a canon because it felt better in my hands than the nikon.

It's enriching and thanks all for sharing....

And everyone else's hand on experience will be different from yours. What's great in my hands may not be in yours. For example, I hate the canon ergonomics and that's why I chose not to use canon. But does that mean it's not comfy for you? No.

As stated in the many many many many many many "help me choose what dslr to get" threads like yours, it is YOU that needs to go down and hold the cameras yourself. You spent one month reading but never even tried holding the cameras yet, then come here and expect other people's hands-on experience to be relevant to you?

Wrong process...

tough love :)

TS
have to consider the fact that 50D may not that readily available now.
Even a 450D, 550D is just capable in the hands of a capable user.
I can't see any reason that it isn't for beginners. You just need to learn how to use it.
If you are worried about the specs, you can do a side by side comparison in sites like dpreview.com.
Ergonomic wise, there are already many good suggestions.

Maybe TS can consider renting a DSLR a day or two, play with it while reading the manual online? I think hands on is really important. Have fun choosing your first DSLR! :)

If I started reading this forum first before getting my gear, I'm pretty sure I'll be an alpha user now. :bsmilie:

The weight of 50D is approx weight 730 g. without lens.

With lens, it would be around 1 kg.

My friend sold it after 3 months because it is tough to carry it around.

Both 50D & 60D are more than enough for a beginner. You should try renting both system for a day or two to fully understand how this 2 systems operates and suits best to your shooting style.

Don't just listen to what other people said and buy a camera. I believe you are old enough to make your own decisions and you don't need people to tell you what to do or what to buy. Only you yourself know what you really want from the camera not any other people.

I think most of our CSers here we do our own research by searching from net, magzines & watch youtube reviews. After that we go try it out physically in showrooms or camera stores to have a feel of it. Some even better, they rented it to compare. And once we understand how each model work and feel than we made the purchase with no regrets.

Hope you can do that too like any of us here and made your right choice. And see your posting of your new camera. Cheers!