500D vs D5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

firewater

Sep 23, 2006
Asia
In the next one to two month or so, Canon 500D and Nikon D5000 will be coming out in Singapore.

Canon 500D has 15M pixel vs Nikon D5000 12M pixel

ISO rating Canon 100-3200(expandable to 6400-12800) vs Nikon 200-3200 (pls 6400 boost)

White balance override Canon 6 postion vs Nikon 12 postion

Continuous drive 3.4 vs 4

What should one look for in a first time DSLR buyer?

If you are a first time DSLR buyer, you should look at the lens and accessories lineup too, because buying a DSLR is also buying the brand.

And also the price.

In the next one to two month or so, Canon 500D and Nikon D5000 will be coming out in Singapore.

Canon 500D has 15M pixel vs Nikon D5000 12M pixel

ISO rating Canon 100-3200(expandable to 6400-12800) vs Nikon 200-3200 (pls 6400 boost)

White balance override Canon 6 postion vs Nikon 12 postion

Continuous drive 3.4 vs 4

What should one look for in a first time DSLR buyer?

It all depends on what you need, and which camera you feel comfortable with. For me Mega pixel do not matter for me as i do not print any larger than A4 size. Workable ISO is around 800,1600 is still okay but grains are a little obvious for my Nikon D60. White balance gives you more control over your picture to get a good white balance, and 3.5/4 frame per second is good if you are taking sports. But if you are just doing landscape or portrait, it will serve you wel too.

Just my 2cents worth :)

Quite frankly both Canon and Nikon systems are very good in terms of performance and lens line-up. It's hard for us to recommend either of the cameras until the prices are out. The Canon definitely has the edge in terms of features, but it depends on whether the pricing is much more expensive than the Nikon. If it's just $200 more, I think it's much more worthwhile to invest in the Canon.

Sometimes you think you might not need the additional megapixel but when you need to crop to get a better composition, it is tremendously useful to have that additional megapixel as a buffer. In addition, when printing your photos, it is useful to shoot at a higher resolution and scale downwards to fit the paper size, as it gives your photos more crisp details that you can see on your print!

I forgot to mention this... the EOS 500D has a 920k LCD display, while the Nikon D5000 has a 230k LCD display. From my personal experience, the 920k display is a HUGE advantage over the 230k display, and you can EASILY and ACCURATELY check your FOCUS on the 920k display. If it's off focus, you can immediately shoot again. For the 230k LCD displays, it has always been guesswork and a leap of faith for me, and I hate it when I thought I nailed the shot and when I reviewed the image on my computer, the slight off-focus for a otherwise great shot is really so painful.

Well said regards to the LCD resolution...very impt factor when you need to confirm your shots are steady.

I forgot to mention this... the EOS 500D has a 920k LCD display, while the Nikon D5000 has a 230k LCD display. From my personal experience, the 920k display is a HUGE advantage over the 230k display, and you can EASILY and ACCURATELY check your FOCUS on the 920k display. If it's off focus, you can immediately shoot again. For the 230k LCD displays, it has always been guesswork and a leap of faith for me, and I hate it when I thought I nailed the shot and when I reviewed the image on my computer, the slight off-focus for a otherwise great shot is really so painful.

Get D5000 first, if unhappy with it, sell it and get 500D :D

Get D5000 first, if unhappy with it, sell it and get 500D :D

Or buy both, test them out and see which one u like then sell the other one...:devil:

Seriously, you shouldn't compare 500D with D5000. Before investing into one system, check your personal preference. For canon system, there are "two type of lens", one is EFs and EF lens both lens can use all crop body and lens are AF lens. So in the future if you want to upgrade, it is not neccessary for you to buy new lens. My suggestion is just a guide. I don't deny that Nikon body are good. Both maker's are great, so again, it depends on your personal needs and preference.

Maybe try to test out the camera you want before you purchase it, borrow from a friend or rent it.
clear.gif

EFs and EF lens what do use mean by all crop body?
What about AF lens?

BTW the retail price is out

Canon EOS 500D kit
(EF S18-55 IS) SG$1469

Nikon D5000
18-55 SG$1299

EFs and EF lens what do use mean by all crop body?
What about AF lens?

BTW the retail price is out

Canon EOS 500D kit
(EF S18-55 IS) SG$1469

Nikon D5000
18-55 SG$1299
Nikon AF,AF-S,AF-D,AF-D all autofocus lenses can be mount and use on any DSLR. *Some may have restricted functions.

Even manual lenses can also be used on DSLR.

DX means optimise for crop body but can use on Full frame body(FX)

I went to test these 2 models today and I would say both are very good. The photo quality for 500d is better and it weighs slightly lighter than d5000. Also, 500d's video is full HD. Therefore I'm leaning more towards canon even though it costs more than d5000.

But d5000 itself is very impressive too. My friend actually prefer that to 500d. Go test out yourself and you would be able to come up with a decision. :)

I think I should get the 50D. Not sure to get which kit lens.

Kit I 18-55
Kit II 17-85
Kit III 18-200

will there be a twin len kits like 40D?

I went to test these 2 models today and I would say both are very good. The photo quality for 500d is better and it weighs slightly lighter than d5000. Also, 500d's video is full HD. Therefore I'm leaning more towards canon even though it costs more than d5000.

But d5000 itself is very impressive too. My friend actually prefer that to 500d. Go test out yourself and you would be able to come up with a decision. :)

Actually the so called "HD" of 500D is at 20 FPS.

Our TV PAL in singapore is 25 fps, so unless its 1920x1080 @ 25 FPS, it is not real full HD!

However, that may be a good thing since you can get a jutty old film reel effect. Haha.

Well, it's 20fps if you're shooting in 1920x1080. Personally, I'm sticking to 1280x720 @ 30fps and that's more than good enough. Eats up my 8GB like nobody's business though....

if i am not mistaken D5000 doesn't have an internal motor means that some lenses you buy is only manual focus which is very troublesome. AF dependence to most people is almost 100%. nikon systems are a bit different in that some lenses do not have motors and have to rely on body motor for AF. so you might end up having to buy only the in-lens motor lens which could be more expensive than those without motor

for canon, the entire brand relies on lens motor only so body doesn't need motor.

correct me if im wrong but this is what i understand for nikon entry level bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.