500D Users Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a lot of filter in the market.Which is the best for 18-200mm Lens setup and What's the price range??Should i replace the stein Zeiser UV filter?Appreciate for the advise.

Hi Protoss, I use a circular polarizer filter for my 18-200. I can't remember the exact price, but it's about $50 for a Hoya one. I only use Hoya for my filters as it's good quality and easily available. It improves colours and reduces glare from reflective surfaces.

For me, UV filters don't do much except protect the lens from taking a hit, so it doesn't really matter which brand it is, don't replace that Stein Zeiser with another UV filter, just get a circular polariser or netural density gradient filter instead. don't stinge on the brand either, your photo quality depends on it.

how do i shoot panorama photos ah?

Do you have photoshop or photoshop elements?

There are 2 ways that I use.

1. take a wide angle photo, and crop away the top and bottom

2. take multiple shots of the scenary you want, but each shot should overlap the next by 20%. Then use photoshop to stitch the photos together. It's important that you have the 20% overlap or photoshop can't detect. If I'm not wrong, you need a minimum photoshop version CS2

If you're using step 2, make sure that for every shot, the exposure, white balance and ISO remains the same. If you set auto-iso and auto-wb, the settings might change inbetween shots. Then when you stitch them together, you'll be able to see a seam.

Just got my 500D Kit, hope to join you guys for outing and guide me along...
By the way, thinking of getting Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM lens and check the price, currently going for $815. Thought few months back, the price is $600+???

2. take multiple shots of the scenary you want, but each shot should overlap the next by 20%. Then use photoshop to stitch the photos together. It's important that you have the 20% overlap or photoshop can't detect. If I'm not wrong, you need a minimum photoshop version CS2

If you're using step 2, make sure that for every shot, the exposure, white balance and ISO remains the same. If you set auto-iso and auto-wb, the settings might change inbetween shots. Then when you stitch them together, you'll be able to see a seam.

Sorry to ask a noob question, but can I take the multiple shots at the same spot (i.e rotate myself) or do i have to physically move myself along? :think:

Hi,

I'm using 500D kit II and keen to purchase a wide angle lens. Any recommendation? 3rd party or canon? I saw a magazine reviewing sigma 10 -20 mm EX DC HSM, anyone using it?

Where is a good place to purchase filters and remote control for the camera?
Another question, can I check the purpose of battery grip? is it becos of stability?

Please guide me. Thanks.

Hi,

I'm using 500D kit II and keen to purchase a wide angle lens. Any recommendation? 3rd party or canon? I saw a magazine reviewing sigma 10 -20 mm EX DC HSM, anyone using it?

Where is a good place to purchase filters and remote control for the camera?
Another question, can I check the purpose of battery grip? is it becos of stability?

Please guide me. Thanks.

halo..i have the 500d attached to the bg-e5(battery grip) got it from BnS for hundred bucks...
the purpose is to provide extra battery power(two batteries in the battery grip).. can shoot in potrait position(got extra button for shooting
vertically..is that correct?vertical?:dunno:)... and ya the grip will b better cos 500d is a bit small for big hands.
and the weight of a 500d attached to a battery grip = the weight of 7d w/15-85 lens.:bsmilie:

for filters u can check out the MArketplace section.
-bW filters
-hoya filters
are best....

for UWA(ultra.wide.angle) lens..
-canon 10-22mm($900+ i think)
the best uwa for a CANON cropped sensor imo.
but got many other third party ones,
but dunno the prices.... can check at PRice Guide section.(under canon)

my thinking is..
save up and get the best...
and no need to regret later...

cheers mate...

im a noob too...;)

Sorry to ask a noob question, but can I take the multiple shots at the same spot (i.e rotate myself) or do i have to physically move myself along? :think:

rotating on the spot is fine =)

Hi Halisucide,

Thanks for the information.

One more question, I'm getting confused over which filters I should get... can someone advise?
I like taking landscape pictures with blue sky. My current problem now is the sky will be washout or over-exposed when I take pictures now. From the information I gathered from internet, polarized and GND seems to be able to fix the problem. But one is better for the problem I'm facing?

Hi people,
I recently bought the 500d and the 75-300mm USM lenses. Somehow I realise it takes really long for the camera to focus when I am taking photos at night. Even if it gets to focus, the shutter speed is usually very long. I am using 'P' mode and am wondering if anyone here knows what I can do apart from using the flash. The long shutter speed causes shakes in the pictures I take.

If I do not want to use a tripod, is there anything else I can do. Thanks guys!

Am interested in getting a speedlite 580 ex 2 for use on my 500d.
Can anyone advise whether it is good?
And whats the price of the flash.

Hi people,
I recently bought the 500d and the 75-300mm USM lenses. Somehow I realise it takes really long for the camera to focus when I am taking photos at night. Even if it gets to focus, the shutter speed is usually very long. I am using 'P' mode and am wondering if anyone here knows what I can do apart from using the flash. The long shutter speed causes shakes in the pictures I take.

1) Switch to manual focus.
2) Crank up the ISO to the max

rotating on the spot is fine =)

Thanks oneluckyguy :)
i'll try again sometime soon. The last time i took a pano, it turned out ugly...probably cos i did not have the same ISO, shutter speed and aperture settings...:think:

Hi Halisucide,

Thanks for the information.

One more question, I'm getting confused over which filters I should get... can someone advise?
I like taking landscape pictures with blue sky. My current problem now is the sky will be washout or over-exposed when I take pictures now. From the information I gathered from internet, polarized and GND seems to be able to fix the problem. But one is better for the problem I'm facing?

for ur case i think it will be GND... as it is gradual... like tinted at the top and clear at the bottom... if im not wrong....

Recenty,bought 500D with 18-200mm len with stein zeiser UV filter.Any good recommendation for a good UV filter to replace the current and the price ?

Hi.. check how much u bought yout 500D?:)

Hi people,

1. Switch to Av (aperture priority) mode and select the widest aperture (smallest f-number) possible with the lens.
2. Crank the ISO all the way to 3200. (6400 and 12800 not recommended due to excessive noise).
3. Switch to MF and focus using live-view magnification (not easy when handholding-the 75-300mm has no IS so the magnified view will shake making focusing hard). If the AF is slow but still manages to lock focus, leave it on.
4. If the shutter speed is still slow, dial in anywhere up to -1 exposure compensation to squeeze out a bit more shutter speed. The picture will be underexposed but you can raise it back up in DPP (you'll have to shoot in RAW for this to work though).

Last edited:
1. Switch to Av (aperture priority) mode and select the widest aperture (smallest f-number) possible with the lens.
2. Crank the ISO all the way to 3200. (6400 and 12800 not recommended due to excessive noise).
3. Switch to MF and focus using live-view magnification (not easy when handholding-the 75-300mm has no IS so the magnified view will shake making focusing hard). If the AF is slow but still manages to lock focus, leave it on.
4. If the shutter speed is still slow, dial in anywhere up to -1 exposure compensation to squeeze out a bit more shutter speed. The picture will be underexposed but you can raise it back up in DPP (you'll have to shoot in RAW for this to work though).

I got pretty decent shots at night using aperture priority set to the widest, auto ISO & AF. Pictures turns out nice. You can also play around with exposure compensation.;)

I got pretty decent shots at night using aperture priority set to the widest, auto ISO & AF. Pictures turns out nice. You can also play around with exposure compensation.;)
The nice thing about auto-ISO is that the camera can select incremental steps (like 640, 1250 etc) which isn't manually possible. But it only goes up to a max of 1600. If 1600 doesn't give you a fast enough speed, you'll have to manually crank it up further.
It's too bad that the 500D's 'auto'-ISO locks to 400 in manual mode, otherwise you can fix an aperture and shutter and let the camera adjust the ISO to maintain both-very useful for action shots. Even the 50D suffers that deficiency, you'll have to get the 7D to have it-firmware crippling on Canon's part. I believe most Nikons can do that.

Just got my 500D Kit, hope to join you guys for outing and guide me along...
By the way, thinking of getting Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM lens and check the price, currently going for $815. Thought few months back, the price is $600+???

me too.. just got the 500d kit 1
gonna be time consuming to learn the ropes

Can anyone tell me if using 500d + kit 1 lens can take bokeh pictures? coz i am interested in learning but not sure how to do it

Last edited:
does anyone know if sigma 70-30mm f4-5.6 apo dg macro, sigma 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 dg macro and tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 will be able to fit my 500d?

and whether it'll have auto focus functions?

i'm really new and thinking abt gettin a third party lens but i'm unsure.
PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.