500D to 50D/550D?

Aaronlim81

Jul 1, 2010
Singapore, Bukit Panjang
I'm quite confused about making a decision between this 2 model. Is it a smart move to upgrade from 500D to 50D? Budget tight or else will go for 7D. The specs claimed that 550D has higher resolution and megapixel whereby the 50D has higher frame per sec. I like the solid feel if 50D and the LCD screen on top of the body and also 50D has more function to play with. May I know is 50D colour really not so nice as compared to 550 and which model had the sharpest image? Generally use it for birding only. Can someone advice me?:dunno:

I'm quite confused about making a decision between this 2 model. Is it a smart move to upgrade from 500D to 50D? Budget tight or else will go for 7D. The specs claimed that 550D has higher resolution and megapixel whereby the 50D has higher frame per sec. I like the solid feel if 50D and the LCD screen on top of the body and also 50D has more function to play with. May I know is 50D colour really not so nice as compared to 550 and which model had the sharpest image? Generally use it for birding only. Can someone advice me?:dunno:

If your budget is tight, i suggest that you hold on to your camera and save up enough for a better upgrade.

Seriously, i dont think there are much 500D users that are consider an upgrade to 50D or 550D.
If you want sharper images and stuff, I suggest you invest in lenses because their value depreciate very little.

Alternatively, you can wait for 60D before making your decision.

Sounds like itchy pocket and searching for justifications for the purchase. Stick to your 500D. Asking about colours between 2 models so close shows that you need to learn more. Hint: there is post-processing and many possible in-camera settings. Which pictures taken by both cameras under identical conditions are you comparing?
For what do you need all these megapixel? Get a better lens (e.g. 70-200) to see what your camera is capable of. Renting for a weekend is affordable.

I thought Canon DSLRs allow you to tweak the colour output and even download Picture Styles, if you want the straight-from-cam JPEGs, right?

agree that it sounds like itchy hands (and wallet) to upgrade. If budget tight, always better to hold back and consider carefully. Do you need higher MP rating, or higher fps speed, or what?

Most of the time, if you ask yourself what you need, then you will have the answers to your own questions.

Need to shoot sports? Then get the one with higher fps.

If After asking yourself the questions and find that your current gear can achieve what you want, Or if the new gear has functions that you normally will not use,then there's no need to upgrade at all :)

Thanks for guys for your advice, actually thinking of changing to either both model is because,
50D;
-more function to play with
-better grip
-bigger and brighter viewfinder
-LCD screen on top of body
-higher fps mean that I can shoot F1?

550D;
-higher megapixel I can pixel peep more,crop If I doesn't have lens to reach far object
-better light metering similar to 7D

This are the only advantages why I consider between this 2 model. Main purpose is to shoot bird. Will be doing basic post processing using PS. Seemed like all Bros advises me to either wait for 60D or saves up for 7D and possible invest in lens. Actually I am using sigma 150-500 OS for birding, has tried my friend canon 100-400 F4 IS on my body.Only differences I can tell is that it have better contrast. Wanted to pixel peep to see whether sharp anot result is the same as my sigma lens, hence thinking of upgrading body since 50D and 550D price around the same. Probably I will heed the advice from you guys and wait for 7D then. it's got basically everything I want, sharper image and bigger body build.

hi

imho, u must really know what is there in 50d / 550d that u REALLY REALLY need... else it is a waste of $$$

hi

imho, u must really know what is there in 50d / 550d that u REALLY REALLY need... else it is a waste of $$$

Erm sort of. But don't know exactly how both of them perform on actual. If I sell off my present 500D for $1k and I would be able to get either 50D or 550D with $100 top up or maybe not.:sweat:

Erm sort of. But don't know exactly how both of them perform on actual. If I sell off my present 500D for $1k and I would be able to get either 50D or 550D with $100 top up or maybe not.:sweat:

Erm, i don't know where can you find someone that will buy your 500d for 1k. I got mine at Cathay for $925 body alone.

Thanks for guys for your advice, actually thinking of changing to either both model is because,
50D;
-more function to play with
Skip that. Buying a model just because of possibilities is like getting a 30 seater bus for once a year family gathering (e.g. Hari Raya or similar) or getting Mercedes AMG model for 2 weekends per year at Sempang. It's the typical sales tactics to promote items which are actually 2 sizes too big for normal customers.
-better grip
-bigger and brighter viewfinder
-LCD screen on top of body
Yes, here I agree. These are valid points.
-higher fps mean that I can shoot F1?
Gunning down the cars is not the receipt to success. Search for 'panning shots' here and you will see what people achieve with only a single shot when used with enough brainwork :)
550D;[...]
-better light metering similar to 7D
Are you sure about that? Where did you get this from? Don't confuse DIGIC chips with AF / metering sensors.

Understanding Sharpness

Erm, i don't know where can you find someone that will buy your 500d for 1k. I got mine at Cathay for $925 body alone.

I'm selling together with lot of freebies which I hot from PC show and kit lens 18-55 IS.Theow in battery grip and digieye bag for single body and lens. :sweat:

Dear TS, if u can't wait, then 50D is a better choice. Better fps n more functions. Seriously, 15M for 50D is already very high specs. Just note that there is no video function, not that u will use it anyway.

Color you can adjust in picture styles.

Sharpness is determined more by good lenses and good shooting technique.

So I don't understand why you want to switch?

But it is good that you switch also. Excessive illogical spending is good for the economy. Do more of it please. ;) :devil:

I'd vote 50d if u know what you want to do with it

for birding, it will be nice to have higher frame ie to capture birds in flight.

anyway, 18MP imo is too much for crop sensor liao. 15MP will be just fine plus 50D has a more robust body as well.

Heed the words of the bros here... actually 500d is a good camera... however if really needed to upgrade, my advise is to go for one stage up... save up more $$ and get the 7d or 5dmkII. No point getting the 550d or the 50d (by the way, 50d is going to phase out soon, 60D is coming in).

Color you can adjust in picture styles.

Sharpness is determined more by good lenses and good shooting technique.

So I don't understand why you want to switch?

But it is good that you switch also. Excessive illogical spending is good for the economy. Do more of it please. ;) :devil:

Change because wanted a body which can produce nicer picture in low light with huger ISO that doesn't produce so much noise like my 500D iso 1600 i already find it very harsh.

Maybe bro you are being kind to persuade me not to spend money anyhow,I appreciated it but the way you phase it ...haiz heart ache.:cry: