500D Resolution is 72?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FriedKimchi

Jun 12, 2009
Off the map
Hi everyone,
I have a question related to the 500D and printing. I usually take photos in the largest and best JPEG format and when i open them up in photoshop, i see that the resolution under the option Image>Image Size is 72 pixels/inch.

Here is the screenshot of photoshop:

My question, if i want to print this picture in A3, will it look sharp or do i have to increase the resolution?And why is Focal Plane Horizontal Resolution different than Horizontal Resolution? 5315 dpi vs 72 dpi.:dunno:

Here is the screenshot of my EXIF data.

I ask this question as i received the official product shots of the new Sony VAIO laptops and when i check their EXIF data, boy was i surprised. :bigeyes:

Here is the screenshot of Sony's official product shots.

Please click on the picture to view it bigger. I'm using ImageShack for the first time so the pictures are of wrong size. Paiseh.
=)

Last edited:
Erm, the 4752x3568 is the NUMBER of PIXELS in the picture. If you multiple the 2 number together, you will have your Megapixels.

72 DPI refer to the how many PIXELS there is in ONE INCH. It is something like PIXEL DENSITY. This value can be adjusted using imaging-editing software. BUT you can not get more pixels out of the picture without loss of quality.

I am not sure about the focal plane resolution but I suspect it may be the no. of pixels per inch on the sensor itself. Well any1 knows?

Actually most cameras(PNS included) have way more than enough pixels for A3. A3 is 11.5x16.5 inch.
So, if i print 200 dpi(which is quite sharp already), I would need 2500 horizontal x 3300 vertical pixels= 8.25 MP.
If you not satisfied at most need about 12mp? So 500D's resolution is more than enough. :)

Last edited:
Erm, the 4752x3568 is the NUMBER of PIXELS in the picture. If you multiple the 2 number together, you will have your Megapixels.

72 DPI refer to the how many PIXELS there is in ONE INCH. It is something like PIXEL DENSITY. This value can be adjusted using imaging-editing software. BUT you can not get more pixels out of the picture without loss of quality.

I am not sure about the focal plane resolution but I suspect it may be the no. of pixels per inch on the sensor itself. Well any1 knows?

Actually most cameras(PNS included) have way more than enough pixels for A3. A3 is 11.5x16.5 inch.
So, if i print 200 dpi(which is quite sharp already), I would need 2500 horizontal x 3300 vertical pixels= 8.25 MP.
If you not satisfied at most need about 12mp? So 500D's resolution is more than enough. :)

Ok, i get the point about camera resolution being good enough. But why do certain pictures have higher resolution?For print? Do i change the dpi in the printer? I tried changing the resolution from 72 to 200 in photoshop CS3 and the Pixel Dimensions increased from 43.1M to 332.3M. Am i supposed to change it like that?

Sorry for asking nooby questions but i'm really curious.

If you look into "Digital Darkroom" and browse a bit through similar threads you will find the answer. It's not related to Canon. Your screen shows .. well, what your screen shows: 72dpi - screen resolution ;)

If you look into "Digital Darkroom" and browse a bit through similar threads you will find the answer. It's not related to Canon. Your screen shows .. well, what your screen shows: 72dpi - screen resolution ;)

I'm really sorry but i can't find any similar threads...i tried the search function but no luck there. Anyways, i still don't get the 72 dpi in my pics. Do i need to change/increase it to get a sharper picture when its going to be printed. Or am i ok to leave it at 72 dpi?

I'm really sorry but i can't find any similar threads...i tried the search function but no luck there. Anyways, i still don't get the 72 dpi in my pics. Do i need to change/increase it to get a sharper picture when its going to be printed. Or am i ok to leave it at 72 dpi?

Your screen resolution is limited to / fixed at 72dpi. You can't get anything higher than this. The software shows only what can be displayed.
Have a look here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463994&highlight=print+resolution
What matters is the total dimension of the image and the output size on print. From these 2 parameters you will get the dpi value. For a good print you should have about 300dpi.

Your screen resolution is limited to / fixed at 72dpi. You can't get anything higher than this. The software shows only what can be displayed.
Have a look here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463994&highlight=print+resolution
What matters is the total dimension of the image and the output size on print. From these 2 parameters you will get the dpi value. For a good print you should have about 300dpi.

Thanks thanks! I think i finally get it.

Thanks thanks! I think i finally get it.
Yup, you only need to worry or adjust DPI when you are sending for printing. My S5 IS captures 180 dpi straight from the camera but the image is confirm inferior to your Canon 500D. :D

Nevertheless, if you wish to change the resolution in Photoshop, you should not be resampling the image which will result in increase of filesize - actually this is similar to you resizing the image which is not what you want to do. There is a box in the Image Size menu, do not check the box on 'Resample Image'.

In my workplace, our common practice for sending out artwork to printers is, 300dpi for any books, magazines etc and posters A3 or smaller, 200dpi for ~A2 posters equivalent, 150dpi for ~A1 equivalent and 100/120dpi for large format printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.