500D or K-x

Status
Not open for further replies.

icoX

Mar 11, 2006
Hi, i am upgrading my 1000D to a maybe 500D or k-x cause i want a video function.

I have actually decided on a 500D till recently i saw the price of k-x to be very tempting.. haha..

but i do have a canon ef 50mm 1.8 ii prime lens on hand and i like it very much.

does anyone know if pentax have that kind of lens which is also similar priced?

if so i might just jump over.. haha

Should i stay on canon since i have a lens or jump to pentax?

Looking for some real advice and do not intend to start a flame war. :nono: thanks!

You just need the video function?

why not just get a separate camcorder? But then if you are sure, i really recommend looking at the models which offer swivel lcd.

You might want to get a separate video cam as suggested by Reportage.

Though the 1000D may not compare favorably with higher end and/or newer models it can still take nice pictures.

Pentax has a FA50/1.4 that is about $500.
There is no new equivalent to a 50/1.8 though you can find plenty of very good A50/2 or A50/1.7 for around $85 and $150 respectively. The latter are manual focus with automatic aperture.

Well, think of it this way, you can get the Pentax K-x twin lens kit + FA 50mm f/1.4 for about the same price or cheaper than the 500D twin lens kit. So if you are starting anew, I think the Pentax K-x is the better choice.

But you are not starting anew, you already have a working DSLR.. I'd say just get a seperate camcorder. No DSLR with video recording can match a camcorder for capturing video.

hi guys.. i have sold the cam.. now just left with one canon ef 50mm 1.8 ii lens. so it's either k-x or 500d.

how is the FA 50mm compared to the canon one? can get similar results?

edit: wait..the fa 50mm 1.4 cause around 500+? if so then forget it.. out of budget haha... i like my 1.8 ii for its value/performance ratio.

Last edited:
Don't jump bandwagon just because of one function... however if your investment into one particular brand isn't as deep, then it's easier I guess.

Pentax is cheaper overall due to savings on publicity and whatnot, kindly do read up on the other "Pentax vs (brand X)" discussions.

IMHO, If you're intending to sell your 1000D, then perhaps you can buy a new 500D or Pentax. (I would choose 500D if I'm you due to the 50mm I have on hand).

If you're not going to sell your 1000D but you are looking for video function, then you should consider getting a camcorder. In terms of the function/qualities in video, it makes a huge difference when comparing a camcorder with a DSLR.

Since you are upgrading becos of the video function, why not go to the shop to see which cam's video is of better performance?

Since u sold the 1000D, now u have more choices. Like 1) 500D which u still can use ur 50mm len 2) Nikon D5k or more budget D90 3) Maybe ur pentax K-X

hi guys.. i have sold the cam.. now just left with one canon ef 50mm 1.8 ii lens. so it's either k-x or 500d.

edit: wait..the fa 50mm 1.4 cause around 500+? if so then forget it.. out of budget haha... i like my 1.8 ii for its value/performance ratio.

The FA50/1.4 is comparable to the other 50/1.4 from the other brands. Only the Sigma 50/1.4 is said to be better than all of them, but its very much larger, heavier and not that cheap.

You can join the coming Feb Pentax Outing (timing TBA) to see for yourself. Here is a recent discussion on the A50/2 and a bit on the 50/1.7. Sorry, manual focus only, but on the bright side, dirt cheap and no wimp of a lens.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598708

Here is a shots again using the 50/2 at f2.0
K7JP9773.JPG

100% crop
------------
K7JP9773-1.JPG

Last edited:

Well, the FA 50mm is f/1.4 compared to the f/1.8, and you will typically expect a f/1.4 to perform better than an f/1.8, but you should probably look around for reviews and sample shots. There's a reason why the FA 50mm is by far the most popular Pentax prime lens and most Pentaxians get it as their first prime lens, myself included.

If you buy a 500D kit now, it will cost you ~$1150. A Pentax K-x kit + FA 50mm f/1.4 will cost you ~$1300. For only $150 more you get a f/1.4 lens over a f/1.8 lens, and you can recover some of that $150 by selling your 50mm f/1.8. Oh, and you get the benefits of in-body image stabilization too, which you can't get with the Canon combination.

In the end it's your choice, but I wouldn't brush off the FA50 so quickly if I were you.

Last edited:
It all depends on what you need. I dont think k-x is the 500D's equivalent. I dont even think that there is such a thing as an equivalent from another brand. Every brand packs different features into their entry level cameras.

In your case, you should have the 1000D's kit lens and the 50mm with you right? So going for 500D you just need to buy a body only unit?

video on the dslr is not that great. 1st of all the way u hold a dslr is very different and after a long time of taking videos, u ll find it uncomfortable. the posture and handling is not that good for video.

i have a 7D and my wife have a 500D. 500D picture quality is almost as good as the 7D. so it s worth the price. most of the functions of the two cams are the same, xcept 8fps, fullHD videos and weatherproof. 500D is a good buy. plus u can slowly get all the lenses that canon can offer.

I dont have a pentax so i can give my opinion on that. but im sure its also a good camera.

Hi TS. if u want to use yr 50/1.6 then get a 500D.

Also take note if yr kaki's have same system, then ez to loan lenses to try....no need to buy lens u seldom use.

Feel the 2 cams and decide for yourself. although Pentax has in-body IS,
Many reviews seems to indicate that the Pentax IS is not as effective as other body based system like sony's. I personally have tried Canon & Sony and lens based IS is superb!

If you are interested, you might want to check out the high iso performance of the K-x
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/page26.asp

"With this performance the K-x easily beats most other APS-C cameras when shooting JPEGs, including much more expensive models. If you need better low light performance than this, going full-frame is pretty much your only option."

video on the dslr is not that great.

I totally dont agree with your statement here. Search from the net and see how stunning video can be produced fr dslr 7d and 5dmk2

And movie makers in hollywood and India have turned to dslr for movie making. Not counting many wedding videographers producing great wedding video with dslr

hi there, in my opinion, getting a dslr for hd video is about the bokeh that u can achieve with fast lens so u can mimic the high quality cinema type picture, currently I'm using 5dmk2 with 50mm summilux with it, luv it every second, use to have the d90... yeah the rolling shutter effect is quite disturbing if trying to pan fast enuf but quality wise is not bad at all considering it only 720p. There's a lot of support products for the 5dmk2 for making it a suitable hollywood-ready cam... I wish i have the donuts to get the RED camera though... anyway it totally different ballgame to compare large sensor dslr to minute sensor of the hd consumer camcoder...

Status
Not open for further replies.