500D or GF1??? Advice needed for newbie here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iBrennen

Dec 28, 2009
Singapore
Hi all,
Just decided to get my first "reasonably good" cam. had the opportunity to use a 500d some time back and was fascinated by the photos. building up some interest in this expensive hobby now. have actually shortlisted my choices down to 500d or the gf1.
any advice out there?

Lots of thanks

Hi, ermmm.... i would say take a proper DSLR ... as it can be customized more... if u wanna upgrade later.... if u like compact than u have to go for GF1... 500d is already the smallest size DSLR thats around if i am not wrong compare to the rest of dslr.. depends on indiviual and how u see it

thanks for yr advice. actually i will not likely be looking for an upgrade so soon. the gf1's size is more appealling to me as i would be looking inclined to travelling. wat i do know is that the 500d is a more than adequate performer for me as of now. just wondering wat users of gf1 have to comment about its capabilities. :)

Hi all,
Just decided to get my first "reasonably good" cam.

Would like to ask you, why you come down to final 2 between 500D and GF1?

Very quick impression, I'm thinking of HD video.
The advantage of GF1, if not wrong, is the ability to use stereo mic, and if not wrong again, the only available (DSLR-alike) model currently offer in camera stereo mic.

Have you check DPreview, and try compare these 2 side by side?

Last edited:
yes you are right. gf1 is what i think most dslr like. ya i did read up on dpreview but mostly dun understand what the comparison is all about. again i'm a newbie.. haha. just need to know how the gf1 rates against the 500d. i realise i will be sacrificing some 'stuff' for size but how much 'stuff' am i losing out?

Well to be frank I also cannot understand all the terms they use in the review. :D But I choose the most important term.

For camera body, most important to know is the sensor. How well it performs especially in low light. Thus ISO performance comes in.

also, how well the camera able to produce in camera jpeg, raw, etc.

And the ergonomic design.

hmm.. thanks for yr advice. i actually much prefer the gf1 due to size and design. but was told the 500d performs much better. if so how do u rate the sensors and such?

Hi all,
Just decided to get my first "reasonably good" cam. had the opportunity to use a 500d some time back and was fascinated by the photos. building up some interest in this expensive hobby now. have actually shortlisted my choices down to 500d or the gf1.
any advice out there?

Lots of thanks
for the around same amount of money, there is also the

1) Nikon D5000

2) Sony A380

3) Pentax K-X

just to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.