500D droppage

I dropped my 500d from table before... no issue. Check this out: World record for camera drop:www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/845602 The 350D in the article fell from 3000 feet and hit the ground and survived. Amazing

Last edited:
good, we'll now know who to avoid when we buy 2nd hand from.

Hi there,

If in doubt just send to Canon Service centre but do not tell them. just tell them do servicing.

Regards

Was the sigma on the camera when it fell?

It's obvious, always use the same manufactured lenses for the same body :bsmilie:

Anyone droppe or hit their 500D but it lived to tell the tale?

Each time I dropped my 500d, I would dismantle it to clean the mirror. But there's one very very very very very very very important thing, you must remember to wash your hands first bcos the mirror is very sensitive to dust.

Try not to touh your mirror. Doing so may either displace it and screw up your focusing etc.

I hit my 500D op up flash part onto some glass..quite hard....Will it spoil?

just send it to canon for a general inspection.. i think it costs like $20... gets u a piece of mind.

My experience with the 500D:

1. With 50mm f1.8 lens

Dropped it lens first from the height of Starbucks's table. Obviously the 50mm lens barrel had problem. The glass on the lens is fine. But now I have 2 parts and I know how it looks like inside.

2. With 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens

Was hung behind my wheelchair. Was pushing myself out of a lift, but sadly, the lift has a slight drop, and fell backwards, onto my camera bag and gear inside! And for those who have met and seen me before would know its not like a 50kg guy dropping backwards!

Checked the bag and its contents, the only major breakage was my 2nd (new) 50mm f1.8 lens! Boy was I bloody pissed! Checked my other lenses including the 70-300mm lens that was attached. No visible or working damage. Only when I tried to affix my external flash onto my 500D, did I notice that the flash shoe was bent in. Only needed my Swiss Army knife's pliers to pull it back into shape. Its working fine so far.

So, now I have 2 (two) 50mm f1.8 ... that are in halves! Anyone wanna see the inside of a prime lens???

Next 50mm is the f1.4!!! Grrrr!!!!!

So to the TS, don't worry, the camera can handle the drop. After all, it was inside a bag.

Cheers!

My experience with the 500D:

1. With 50mm f1.8 lens

Dropped it lens first from the height of Starbucks's table. Obviously the 50mm lens barrel had problem. The glass on the lens is fine. But now I have 2 parts and I know how it looks like inside.

2. With 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens

Was hung behind my wheelchair. Was pushing myself out of a lift, but sadly, the lift has a slight drop, and fell backwards, onto my camera bag and gear inside! And for those who have met and seen me before would know its not like a 50kg guy dropping backwards!

Checked the bag and its contents, the only major breakage was my 2nd (new) 50mm f1.8 lens! Boy was I bloody pissed! Checked my other lenses including the 70-300mm lens that was attached. No visible or working damage. Only when I tried to affix my external flash onto my 500D, did I notice that the flash shoe was bent in. Only needed my Swiss Army knife's pliers to pull it back into shape. Its working fine so far.

So, now I have 2 (two) 50mm f1.8 ... that are in halves! Anyone wanna see the inside of a prime lens???

Next 50mm is the f1.4!!! Grrrr!!!!!

So to the TS, don't worry, the camera can handle the drop. After all, it was inside a bag.

Cheers!

Sorry Ding, I laughed. I'm a bad man but surely you see the humour in destroying 2 of the exact same lens :bsmilie: Better luck with your 1.4 I hope!

For a moment i thought TS was starting a thread on the price drop for 500D. :bsmilie:

TS, if you're that worried, just send it to Canon and have your camera checked. I'm sure they're the best person to answer your question.

Each time I dropped my 500d, I would dismantle it to clean the mirror. But there's one very very very very very very very important thing, you must remember to wash your hands first bcos the mirror is very sensitive to dust.

everyone need to be sure not to buy 500d from him.. :nono:

What difference does it make? What matters to you most is whether yours is still working. If it is not or in doubt, there is always the canon service center (CSC) to turn to. I doubt anyone who tell you that theirs are working (after surviving a drop) will have any impact on your 500d.

Anyone droppe or hit their 500D but it lived to tell the tale?

Don't worry.... 500D is not made from tahoo :)

Droppage??
Tahoo??

Don't worry, just continue cameraging (I might as well create a new singlish term for photography)

Dingaroo, now you know why the 50 1.8 II costs so little..... good glass held together by little bits of plastic

Last edited:
Dingaroo, now you know why the 50 1.8 II costs so little..... good glass held together by little bits of plastic

Ya you got to be very careful not to droppage it or knockage it against anything.

What is the 500D made of inside?