500 workers retrenched from hard-drive firm HGST, union to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, this is real. After a bank gets an Indian CEO, he will fill in the top and middle ranks of the bank with fellowmen from India. It shows in real life.

it is true. I have seen how the dept evolve when the manager is recruited.

I just want him to understand that having a new certs and network with new friends, doesn't mean it will solve everyone problem.

Your new friends must be in a position ( Managing Director ) where he can influence the decision of hiring new staff.

Your new company must be willing to accept staff with no relevant experience and lousy certs (Not from top university).

Unfortunately, not everyone have that kind of opportunity.

That is why you see many people went to drive taxi.

also depends. if your friend is only a mid-management staff or normal rank-and-file employee, but a hit with the bosses... you should know whose opinion they will trust if they recommend a friend.

Yes, it's who makes the decision that's important.

but what's important as well is, WHO KNOWS THE BOSS or DECISION MAKER

No, this is real. After a bank gets an Indian CEO, he will fill in the top and middle ranks of the bank with fellowmen from India. It shows in real life.

it is true. I have seen how the dept evolve when the manager is recruited.

Can't be. We are a MERITOCRACY. And if you say banks are practising cronyism, I think this is a very serious charge. You must be able to back it up. :bsmilie:

I never say it's a piece of cake or easy. But doing something is better than doing nothing at all.

Individuals are the same as corporations. We need to innovate ourselves. Latest example is Nokia and BlackBerry. They fail to innovate. Fail to see what is coming. Individuals like us need to do the same thing; innovate, in order to be employable.

It's ain't easy. No one is saying that it's easy.

The hard truth in life is there is always someone younger and cheaper than you, to do your job.

Can't be. We are a MERITOCRACY. And if you say banks are practising cronyism, I think this is a very serious charge. You must be able to back it up. :bsmilie:

Meritocracy? Big joke!
Not only same race, some even their close relatives. Incapable, and yet holding high post and get extraterrestrial salaries. LOL

I never say it's a piece of cake or easy. But doing something is better than doing nothing at all.

Individuals are the same as corporations. We need to innovate ourselves. Latest example is Nokia and BlackBerry. They fail to innovate. Fail to see what is coming. Individuals like us need to do the same thing; innovate, in order to be employable.

It's ain't easy. No one is saying that it's easy.

The hard truth in life is there is always someone younger and cheaper than you, to do your job.

You are right about that. It is impossible to compete with FW or young fresh grads.

A job is like marriage, some times a man remain married to a woman is because he cannot find anyone better than her. If he can another one, he would have divorce and remarry.

Those people, who are stuck in the HD industry may have struggle for many years to reach a monthly salary of $3K from $1.5K. Offering them a $1.5K job (same as fresh grads) in another industry and ask them to start all over again will not solve their financial problem. That is the reason why many of them have no choice but to stay with industry.

However, I have also noticed some stars, young individuals who are not terribly educated, but have a dedicated plan to escape the rat race.

financial planning is the way to go, never just depend solely on a single source of income.
start saving and investing early.
for beginners, stay away from penny stocks as my friend can easily lose 20k due to price dip.

Last edited:
Perhaps history likes to repeat itself ?

COMPANY NEWS; I.B.M. MAKES CUTBACKS IN STORAGE SYSTEMS DIVISION
Published: August 05, 1994

I.B.M. laid off 320 people yesterday in a division that makes devices to store computerized data. The company also announced plans to move the division's disk drive assembly work to Asia from San Jose, Calif., resulting in the loss of another 800 jobs by the end of next year. The storage systems division will narrow its product focus to a few common technologies, I.B.M. said. The layoffs occurred at I.B.M. offices in San Jose and Rochester, Minn., involving administrative, engineering and development personnel. They are part of the company's broader effort to eliminate approximately 35,000 jobs this year. I.B.M. employs about 256,200.

Source : http://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/05/b...kes-cutbacks-in-storage-systems-division.html

Nowadays, u hardly see local citizens in private sectors ... All being force to join Gov jobs so that in 2016, most people still LL vote for their big boss.

Perhaps history likes to repeat itself ?

COMPANY NEWS; I.B.M. MAKES CUTBACKS IN STORAGE SYSTEMS DIVISION
Published: August 05, 1994

I.B.M. laid off 320 people yesterday in a division that makes devices to store computerized data. The company also announced plans to move the division's disk drive assembly work to Asia from San Jose, Calif., resulting in the loss of another 800 jobs by the end of next year. The storage systems division will narrow its product focus to a few common technologies, I.B.M. said. The layoffs occurred at I.B.M. offices in San Jose and Rochester, Minn., involving administrative, engineering and development personnel. They are part of the company's broader effort to eliminate approximately 35,000 jobs this year. I.B.M. employs about 256,200.

Source : http://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/05/b...kes-cutbacks-in-storage-systems-division.html

This year alone how many already? ISK? Lucas? Micron? Just to name a few. :bsmilie:
And some, though the number retrenched is low (<100), they are particularly painful because they are high-end R&D jobs, the kind sg should be retaining and expanding.

Nowadays, u hardly see local citizens in private sectors ... All being force to join Gov jobs so that in 2016, most people still LL vote for their big boss.

What makes u think that that's the case? Have you scrutinised every single company in Singapore before coming to that conclusion?

And what makes you think that government workers/civil servants will definitely vote their bosses in? Your thinking is very laughable

Status
Not open for further replies.