$500 budget can buy what

I strongly support a kid to learn photography as there are many benefits in learning. The only downside is the COST $$$...I have kept my film SLR for my kid and hopefully she will revive it some day.

I believe many people will find it not justifiable for a kid to own a $1000+ camera because it may turn into a $1000+ toy. Just have to educate the kid well in appreciating photography and the gears. As what many people have said "There is no bad equipments, only bad photographers..."

Probably someday your cousin will probably outshine many of us in CS. Many people who post in CS are not photographers....they just talk so much but no photos....

interest is subjective.

Some are born with a strong interest for something.

Some are cultivated to have an interest for something.

Some no matter what, also no interest and will never have an interest for something.

So as a parent, you should still see which category your kid lies, just dun force him or her to do something he or she dun like.

interest is subjective.

Some are born with a strong interest for something.

Some are cultivated to have an interest for something.

Some no matter what, also no interest and will never have an interest for something.

So as a parent, you should still see which category your kid lies, just dun force him or her to do something he or she dun like.

Yah....so I am just encouraging and not forcing. I am also hoping my kid will take up photography as hobby and maybe go out and shoot as a family activity....I believe in playing while you learn, not by the books. Anyway I am also not going to pass down my cameras like the Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre......if they like it then take it.....:bsmilie:

If kid is keen on learning about photography I would respect that wish and NOT give a simple bare bones PnS... it bores them quickly and kills the interest because there is not much they can do .... at least get them a PnS with plenty of functions to play around with .... but definitely NOT a $99 cam that can only turn on/off and press shutter release

I have given my 9 year old daughter (Pri4) my old 350D + a 20mm to use and she loves it..... now hankering for a 10-20 zoom because she wants to go UWA

Lets just say that her PP skills have outstripped mine already ......... she knows how to use Layers to PP kaozzzz..... !!!!!
while daddy is still only using the dodge and burn tools

Encourage kids..... dont patronize or discount them.

if they lose interest.......... SO WHAT ! ..... move on to another hobby until they find something they are passionate about

much better IMHO than wasting total zombie time on PSP or DS

Last edited:
$500 basically cannot buy any Canon DSLR. If you don't mind 2nd hand cameras, there's a selection in the BnS section. :cool:

-------------------------
Originally Posted by AnsQ
hmm...considering you won't be able to get any new 300D/350D/10D now...
i don't see how you can get a new 300D/350D/10D for $500.

2nd hand...

-----------------------

so are'nt u 2 guys saying exactly the same thing ??? :dunno:

If kid is keen on learning about photography I would respect that wish and NOT give a simple bare bones PnS... it bores them quickly and kills the interest because there is not much they can do .... at least get them a PnS with plenty of functions to play around with .... but definitely NOT a $99 cam that can only turn on/off and press shutter release

I have given my 9 year old daughter (Pri4) my old 350D + a 20mm to use and she loves it..... now hankering for a 10-20 zoom because she wants to go UWA

Lets just say that her PP skills have outstripped mine already ......... she knows how to use Layers to PP kaozzzz..... !!!!!
while daddy is still only using the dodge and burn tools

Encourage kids..... dont patronize or discount them.

if they lose interest.......... SO WHAT ! ..... move on to another hobby until they find something they are passionate about

much better IMHO than wasting total zombie time on PSP or DS

I am with you!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

-------------------------
Originally Posted by AnsQ
hmm...considering you won't be able to get any new 300D/350D/10D now...
i don't see how you can get a new 300D/350D/10D for $500.

-----------------------
so are'nt u 2 guys saying exactly the same thing ??? :dunno:

Actually I wanted to say $500 basically can't get the latest entry level model but before I could correct myself, cleonbus came along and shot me. Arrgh...he was fast. Much faster than my D700 can shoot horses.

Anyhow...the debate was fast and furious and I was a bit stunned. For the moment I forgot I was talking to a young person and as usual my 89YO brain works a bit slow that day. To cleonbus: nice debating with you. No pun intended.:bsmilie:

Actually I wanted to say $500 basically can't get the latest entry level model but before I could correct myself, cleonbus came along and shot me. Arrgh...he was fast. Much faster than my D700 can shoot horses.

Anyhow...the debate was fast and furious and I was a bit stunned. For the moment I forgot I was talking to a young person and as usual my 89YO brain works a bit slow that day. To cleonbus: nice debating with you. No pun intended.:bsmilie:

Lol...

about $700-800 ..... with a kit lens, the G10 from Panasonic and the NX10 from Samsung are great for kids

My daughter with her friends....... and her questions are already stumping me ("Daddy, what is WB?" or "Dad, how do i meter using the Histogram? " or "Dad, how to load Java apps onto the camera so I can play games too when not shooting?" ) Kaozzzzz....... your kids are learning VERY QUICKLY nowadays.....
zzz_girls.jpg

Last edited:
I really feel it is a waste of money to get him a dslr..

Even when i was in secondary school, i was so into photography, my dad refuses to get me a dslr even though he has to means to.

I find his rationale quite true. If i can't shoot well on a pns, getting a dslr is a waste of money as it shows that i have no passion and talent.

whether they can handle the camera skilfully is one thing... more concerned above a (relatively) heavy piece of equipment being draped over the neck!

about $700-800 ..... with a kit lens, the G10 from Panasonic and the NX10 from Samsung are great for kids

My daughter with her friends....... and her questions are already stumping me ("Daddy, what is WB?" or "Dad, how do i meter using the Histogram? " or "Dad, how to load Java apps onto the camera so I can play games too when not shooting?" ) Kaozzzzz....... your kids are learning VERY QUICKLY nowadays.....

it can't be the 350D can load java apps?
Which camera is she actually using? I am very interested in the one that can load java apps. Thanks.