50 mm 1.8 G vs 35 mm 1.8 which is better

uragon82

Sep 30, 2011
Pls help which of these are better for portrait in terms of nikon lens

You can also consider the 50mm f1.8D as it's much cheaper :)

Both are good portrait lens to me.. If you are on FF 50mm f1.8g or the 85mm will be a good choice..

If you are on crop sensor.. do note the crop factor of 1.5x.. so the 35mm will have the POV of 52.5. and 50mm will have the POV of 75..

If on crop i will suggget you to go for the 35mm :)

Both are good portrait lens to me.. If you are on FF 50mm f1.8g or the 85mm will be a good choice..

If you are on crop sensor.. do note the crop factor of 1.5x.. so the 35mm will have the POV of 52.5. and 50mm will have the POV of 75..

jas1984 spoke my mind :thumbsup:

hmm both also good... you just need to know which 1 suits you more..

different people different preference..

yup. Rather than thinking which is better, you probably should think which suit you better.

thanks guys ... im just a newbie on dslr's what do you mean by crop sensor?

Read up on This may help you to understand what is crop sensor..:)

Model like Nikon D3,D3S D700 are full frame..

Model Like Nikon D3100,D5100, D7000 are crop sensor

jas1984 said:

Pardon my noob question but I thought the 35mm is a DX lens? Shouldn't it be a 35mm on crop sensor rather than 52.5? :eek:

Tough choice... different people have different view. why not rent the lens for a day and try for yourself.

Pardon my noob question but I thought the 35mm is a DX lens? Shouldn't it be a 35mm on crop sensor rather than 52.5? :eek:

Focal length is absolute, irregardless whether it is a DX or FX lens. ...so a 35mm DX lens when mounted on DX or FX cam body doesn't change the fact it is a 35mm focal length. but the view you get in the viewfinder is different... that is where Field of View come in...

so 35mm/1.8 (DX lens) on a crop camera like D90 or D7000, will give you a FOV of that of a 52.5mm lens on a FX camera. But it is still a 35mm focal length. so when you mount the 35/1.8 on a FX cam and shoot in FX mode, you will get a picture that is much wider than if the lens is mounted to a DX cam.

If you take the 35/2 (FX lens) and mount it to a DX cam. the Field of view will be exactly the same as if you mount the 35mm/1.8 on the same cam.

Last edited:
daredevil123 said:
Focal length is absolute, irregardless whether it is a DX or FX lens. ...so a 35mm DX lens when mounted on DX or FX cam body doesn't change the fact it is a 35mm focal length. but the view you get in the viewfinder is different... that is where Field of View come in...

so 35mm/1.8 (DX lens) on a crop camera like D90 or D7000, will give you a FOV of that of a 52.5mm lens on a FX camera. But it is still a 35mm focal length. so when you mount the 35/1.8 on a FX cam and shoot in FX mode, you will get a picture that is much wider than if the lens is mounted to a DX cam.

If you take the 35/2 (FX lens) and mount it to a DX cam. the Field of view will be exactly the same as if you mount the 35mm/1.8 on the same cam.

So in actual they just convert it to the focal length on the lens? For example they made a lens which is 52.5mm for FX they converted it to 35mm on a DX and made for DX body?

I am still looking for a comparison of IQ between 35mm f2 vs 50mm 1.8g

So in actual they just convert it to the focal length on the lens? For example they made a lens which is 52.5mm for FX they converted it to 35mm on a DX and made for DX body?

focal length does NOT change. it's the field of view that changes. As long as u r using DX, the 1.5x crop multiplier still applies no matter what lens u use. on DX, a 35mm lens will give u the same field of view as the field of view u get when shooting at 52.5mm on FX or full-frame.

Irvine said:
focal length does NOT change. it's the field of view that changes. As long as u r using DX, the 1.5x crop multiplier still applies no matter what lens u use. on DX, a 35mm lens will give u the same field of view as the field of view u get when shooting at 52.5mm on FX or full-frame.

Okay brother! Thanks for the clarification. :)

my slr body is 5100

Okay brother! Thanks for the clarification. :)

welcome :)

my slr body is 5100

okay.. now u haf to really find out ur preferences here. use ur kit lens n try shooting constantly at 35mm n 50mm to see which suits u better. for me, the 50 f/1.8 will be better for outdoor portraits where i will haf alot of space to move around, while 35 f/1.8 is better in tighter spaces especially indoors.

Hope this video will let you understand more what i was trying to bring across..

[video=vimeo;14832168]http://vimeo.com/14832168[/video]