50 gig of data gone with a click!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokrot

Jun 2, 2003
Yes, my mistake. Mp3, movies, Jpgs, almost everything gone with just a silly click. Was trying to free some space on my drive. Using disk clean up. An option for "catoalog files for content indexer" meaning it is using index services to speed up file search. Since I have disabled this service and moreover it is a FAT32 (Index search using NFTS only), the Microsoft XP indiciated it was safe to delete those files . Just click up.. yeah, it really freed up all the space, basically almost emptying the entire HDD.. ;( .

Now I was trying to use recovery software to retrieve my files. Wish me luck.. :sweat:

u never back up your mp3s n mpegs n jpegs?

clive said:
u never back up your mp3s n mpegs n jpegs?

I have 420 gig in 5 hdds. How do I do backup?? :confused:

400+ gb...can burn out in 100+ pieces of dvd-rw.

nv mind...when u recover ur stuff, maybe u pm me your address...i come and get some gd stuff from u also...i will bring my stuff then we trade a bit :)

clive said:
400+ gb...can burn out in 100+ pieces of dvd-rw.

nv mind...when u recover ur stuff, maybe u pm me your address...i come and get some gd stuff from u also...i will bring my stuff then we trade a bit :)

well, I have already backup some movies in 600 disc (cdr). But lost the latest already. Was trying to use restorer2000 but only work with NTFS. As for Easy Recovery pro, the program just exit with an error code.. Can someone recommend any recovery software pls? :(

After many hours trying to recover my stuffs. The conclusion a "failure".

Now, what pains me is my entire 10 yrs of work is inside this drive. :(

Hehehe.....I'm luckier. Only managed to lose about 40GB of data.
Luckily, PhotoRescuer managed to recover about 90-95% worth of videos, MP3s and Photos.

Whatever you do, when you manage to recover some of the files, PLEASE CHOOSE A DIFFERENT TARGET DRIVE to rebuild your data files and don't use the same drive to store back the data. Not at least until you've made sure you've recovered most of the data. If you try to recover the data back to the same hard disk, you may inadvertently overwrite some data residing in the physical sector of the hard disk.

If you are using NTFS, it is recommended that you attempt the recovery based on the physical drive and not the logical drive.

You might wanna try and download the trial version of Photorescuer and see if you can recover the data using physical drive method. For me, Photorescuer is a godsend as it managed to help me recover my files. The only thing I don't like about it is that the original filenames will be gone.

raychan said:
Hehehe.....I'm luckier. Only managed to lose about 40GB of data.
Luckily, PhotoRescuer managed to recover about 90-95% worth of videos, MP3s and Photos.

Whatever you do, when you manage to recover some of the files, PLEASE CHOOSE A DIFFERENT TARGET DRIVE to rebuild your data files and don't use the same drive to store back the data. Not at least until you've made sure you've recovered most of the data. If you try to recover the data back to the same hard disk, you may inadvertently overwrite some data residing in the physical sector of the hard disk.

If you are using NTFS, it is recommended that you attempt the recovery based on the physical drive and not the logical drive.

You might wanna try and download the trial version of Photorescuer and see if you can recover the data using physical drive method. For me, Photorescuer is a godsend as it managed to help me recover my files. The only thing I don't like about it is that the original filenames will be gone.

Thanks.. I know about that but my mistake is to use system restorer first which causes the all the files to be rewritten. :embrass:

clive said:
hmm..sounds like advanced tech. pray what may that be?

LTO and SDLT are the newer tape storage technologies.

LTO stands for Linear Tape Open, co-developed by HP, IBM and Certance (formerly Seagate). Capacity starts @ 100GB per tape.

SDLT stands for Super Digital Linear Tape, was originally developed by Quantum. Capacity starts @ 160GB per tape.

There are cheaper tape technologies like DAT, with capacity starting from 20GB (native) for DDS-4 tapes.

Now u noe why national archive, CMPB uses microfilm.

I have installed restorer2000 as well but the software could not read my x-drive. It only reads the hard disks- or is it something else I need to do?

AJ23 said:
SDLT stands for Super Digital Linear Tape, was originally developed by Quantum. Capacity starts @ 160GB per tape.

heh actually SDLT based on the original DLT, which was developed by DEC and 3M (well actually the original tape, TK50 series was manufactured by 3M but I believe they have a hand in developing it), which was in a huge fight with IBM's own cartridge standard.

later Quantum bought DEC's storage business along with the DLT.

tokrot said:
well, I have already backup some movies in 600 disc (cdr). But lost the latest already. Was trying to use restorer2000 but only work with NTFS. As for Easy Recovery pro, the program just exit with an error code.. Can someone recommend any recovery software pls? :(
DVD writers are pretty cheap these dayz. For da cost of a DVD writer, u can get a CD writer, not so much of a diff between these 2 now.

Of cos, it seems dat u do have like 'mission critical' stuff. U might wanna try tape backup. But make sure u have a dry cabinet standing by cos tapes are pretty susceptible to fungus growth especially wif our humid weather. I'm sure u dun wanna see ur stuff disappear due to a silly mushroom or something dat lookz like white candy floss appear on da tape. ;)

Maxwellian said:
I have installed restorer2000 as well but the software could not read my x-drive. It only reads the hard disks- or is it something else I need to do?

Restorer2000 can only used to restore NFTS partition only. Fat16/32 cannot be used.

Maybe you can try getbackdata software. In fact it recovered my corrupted MD last time.. ;)

jsbn said:
DVD writers are pretty cheap these dayz. For da cost of a DVD writer, u can get a CD writer, not so much of a diff between these 2 now.

Of cos, it seems dat u do have like 'mission critical' stuff. U might wanna try tape backup. But make sure u have a dry cabinet standing by cos tapes are pretty susceptible to fungus growth especially wif our humid weather. I'm sure u dun wanna see ur stuff disappear due to a silly mushroom or something dat lookz like white candy floss appear on da tape. ;)

Thanks JSBN, if you notice the date of the thread, It was past more than 8 months. Since then got my TDk DVDwriter and backup as many as I could especially my photos from DC. Thanks anyway.. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.