50-200 without the tripod collar

Status
Not open for further replies.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
Hi People,

I just got my 50-200mm lens and I am leaving for holiday trip on Sunday. I am thinking of removing the tripod collar. Has anyone mounted the E1 + 50-200mm on a tripod using the body? How stable is that?

I find the tripod collar troublesome and add weight to the already heavy lens.

selamatlzh

Sep 29, 2003
Sinagpore
I dont think is a good idea. Too much stress on the mount and unstable.

hammer_400

Nov 13, 2003
Sg
since you are already bringing a tripod which is big n heavy, just throw along the collar in ur tripod or camera bag lar....

chancy

Dec 16, 2003
Northern Singapore
Visit site
Hi Wind30,

Some experiences to share :

* The protruding tripod collar eats up considerable packing space in addition to weight. I removed it from mine.

* I planned for most shots to be done daylight & shutterspeeds above handholding were accessible.

* I was travelling with family members, that removed the need for a self timer cum tripod which had more bulk issue than the lens & tripod collar.

* However, the tripod collar is convenient in switching between landscape & portrait orientation.

* As mentioned by Hammer400, if you've can deal with the hassle & bulk of bringing a tripod along, the same concerns with the much smaller collar is relatively insignificant in comparison. It does get in the way of comfort if you're shooting handholding most of the time even though it can be swivelled out of the way. So, my take it leave the tripod collar on only if you plan to shoot it on a tripod for most parts of the trip.

Merry Xmas & An Enjoyable Holiday Trip !

Cheers,

Hacker

Dec 6, 2005
Cyberspace
I've taken shots with a tripod (with flash also) but used the thread of the camera. No issues.

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
I think it should be ok. The mount definately can handle the weight of the 50-200mm. Just need to make sure the tripod is stable.

The collar is not heavy compared to the tripod but if you carry the camera + lens often, it does add up and not to say quite uncomfortable to zoom sometimes. Once you remove it, it is a hassle to put it back on when you deploy your tripod.

Will probably chuch the collar into the luggage just in case.

Hopefully can take some nice pictures this time round. My Europe trip in June did not yield much nice pictures :( maybe it is the camera :) I was using a 7D....

Status
Not open for further replies.