50/1.8 or 35/1.8 ??

srchandras

Deregistered
Dec 28, 2010
Hey all.. i m a newbie here..
i m having D90 and i m planning to get a fast prime to take snaps in low lights and for some subject isolation... would like to know which one is best? is that the real diffrence with focal length of 50 mm and 35 mm or any other.. shed some light on it plz..i m affordable only for either of 1.8 not 1.4 its beyond my budget now..

suggest me plz..

50mm can be a little too tight sometimes. Go for the 35mm so u can have more space to work with. :) I think if you're just starting out f1.8 is good enough too. :) cheaper la. :))

50mm can be a little too tight sometimes. Go for the 35mm so u can have more space to work with. :) I think if you're just starting out f1.8 is good enough too. :) cheaper la. :))

Depends. 50mm is alright for some portrait shot, if you only have say 1 or 2 person. The 35 mm is useful if u need wider. I would even consider 28mm, but if most of the time, u don't have that many subjects, i think the 35 mm is quite reasonable.

And while many say 50 mm is tight in indoor situation, i still use it till now in indoor situations.

Only you can define what is best for you.
For technical reviews you can the many many reviews in the net, for example pictures you can check www.pbase.com. Yes, the difference in terms of field of view is noticeable.

hmm.. why not rent both lens and try before your commit?? but if its the 50 1.8, i think you can just go ahead and buy.. not suitable, sell it in BnS.. take the loss as rental fees ;)

hmm.. why not rent both lens and try before your commit?? but if its the 50 1.8, i think you can just go ahead and buy.. not suitable, sell it in BnS.. take the loss as rental fees ;)

I think borrowing will do as well, the lenses are not expensive, so you should be quite successful in borrowing from your friends

50 1.8 will give you more subject isolation due to longer focal length than the 35. also, if you want to include more into the frame, just take a few steps back.

I have both with DX camera. But I use the 35 most of the time. Like what many said, 50 is a bit tight. But 50 is about half the price. I'm keeping both cos I am also thinking of trying out FX.

The Moving Chair said:
Depends. 50mm is alright for some portrait shot, if you only have say 1 or 2 person. The 35 mm is useful if u need wider. I would even consider 28mm, but if most of the time, u don't have that many subjects, i think the 35 mm is quite reasonable.

And while many say 50 mm is tight in indoor situation, i still use it till now in indoor situations.

Ya I find sometimes 50mm cannot fit more than 2-3. :bsmilie: but kinda love how it frames just one within perfectly. :D good point though. 28mm would be lovely to work with if only it was cheaper. :bsmilie:

Ya I find sometimes 50mm cannot fit more than 2-3. :bsmilie: but kinda love how it frames just one within perfectly. :D good point though. 28mm would be lovely to work with if only it was cheaper. :bsmilie:

it actually can. it just depends on how far you're standing from your subjects.

kei1309 said:
it actually can. it just depends on how far you're standing from your subjects.

Should add that the distance is about 2-3 metres. :bsmilie: have to keep backing up etc. My subject all sian 1/2. :sweatsm:

Should add that the distance is about 2-3 metres. :bsmilie: have to keep backing up etc. My subject all sian 1/2. :sweatsm:

keep practicing and you'll remember at the back of your hand how far to stand away from your subjects in these scenarios :bsmilie:

prime lenses force you to think of new ways to compose your images. it's a good tool to have.

i used to just plug on one and just use it the whole time without changing :bsmilie:

I think depends alot on what you want to shoot
50 prime on DX is definitely too long for food, unless you want to stand up at a distance from your table (which is awkward in public)

Meanwhile 35mm is good for halfbody shots or 2-3 person group shots, but not really suitable for taking say head+shoulders closeup

kei1309 said:
keep practicing and you'll remember at the back of your hand how far to stand away from your subjects in these scenarios :bsmilie:

prime lenses force you to think of new ways to compose your images. it's a good tool to have.

i used to just plug on one and just use it the whole time without changing :bsmilie:

That's what I'm doing now. :bsmilie: needs more practice. :D hehe. Thanks for the kind words. :)

I think depends alot on what you want to shoot
50 prime on DX is definitely too long for food, unless you want to stand up at a distance from your table (which is awkward in public)

Meanwhile 35mm is good for halfbody shots or 2-3 person group shots, but not really suitable for taking say head+shoulders closeup

i used to use 50mm on an APS-C body. that's an equivalent of 75mm. essentially, that's DX for you. and yes i did use it for food, seated at the table. it's possible. you don't have to stand at a distance. you can move the plate a little if need be.

but when you use the word "distance", i'm reading "quite far about 1m" away. that's kinda exaggerated.

35mm is good for general purpose shooting. and yes, it can take a head+ shoulders close-up. all you need is to stand closer. i use 24mm (that's 36mm on my "DX" format cam) to shoot people on the streets.

That's what I'm doing now. :bsmilie: needs more practice. :D hehe. Thanks for the kind words. :)

you're welcome. shoot more, join more outings ;)

the seniors here organize outings. though i've never been on one, i'm sure that what you can learn is a lot more from them, than figuring things out on your own.

Hey all.. i m a newbie here..
i m having D90 and i m planning to get a fast prime to take snaps in low lights and for some subject isolation... would like to know which one is best? is that the real diffrence with focal length of 50 mm and 35 mm or any other.. shed some light on it plz..i m affordable only for either of 1.8 not 1.4 its beyond my budget now..

suggest me plz..

faster aperture will make a difference. save up until you got budget. even if it is a 2nd hand one.

The 35 would be more versatile.

kei1309 said:
you're welcome. shoot more, join more outings ;)

the seniors here organize outings. though i've never been on one, i'm sure that what you can learn is a lot more from them, than figuring things out on your own.

Hopefully can join some.. Waiting for the right time. :D :shy: