5 Tips for Better Street Photography

scare me. i saw craig ferguson and i thought when did this guy went into photography?

craig_ferguson.jpg

anyways, nice guide. but how do u go around being confident? not too sure abt that part. do u actually go up and ask if u can shoot? or u just happily snap away. just asking :)

anyways, nice guide. but how do u go around being confident? not too sure abt that part. do u actually go up and ask if u can shoot? or u just happily snap away. just asking :)

I just happily snap away. The trick is to not act like you are trying to hide what you're doing. If you shoot like you know what you're shooting, people will assume that you are doing what you are supposed to be doing...like it is your job.

A few years ago I had a revelation. I was in HK on Nathan Rd, across from the Miramar Hotel. A guy set up an 8x10 camera right in the middle of the sidewalk, pointed right down the sidewalk. Initially, there was some curiosity but after a few moments he was ignored and was able to take street photos with a large format camera. And no one bothered him.

Because he looked like he was doing a job.

Am I making any sense? :confused:

The contrast and shadow of the BnW photos in your blog, looks over-done, too much shadow n contrast making the shots look really unnatural, not very pleasing to look at.
Just mine personel opinion no offence.:)

The contrast and shadow of the BnW photos in your blog, looks over-done, too much shadow n contrast making the shots look really unnatural, not very pleasing to look at.
Just mine personel opinion no offence.:)
That's fine. It's a personal style choice and one that I've carried from 20 years of Tri-X in HC-110 through to digital. In fact, because you said that I know that I've been at least a little successful in carrying it through, since the photos in that blog article are a mix of film and digital.

That's why photography is an art...well, except salon photography...that's a technical exercise... :p

thankx for the tips :D

good tips. I never had the courage to go out onto the streets and do photography as I'm afraid that I will be seen as a harassment.

That's fine. It's a personal style choice and one that I've carried from 20 years of Tri-X in HC-110 through to digital. In fact, because you said that I know that I've been at least a little successful in carrying it through, since the photos in that blog article are a mix of film and digital.

That's why photography is an art...well, except salon photography...that's a technical exercise... :p

Cool.

Mine are very high contrast B&W on Tri-X as well with HC-110. Can see them in my Flickr link. ;)

Good advice, I shoot without hiding like a ninja as well. I like to be upclose ;)

thanks for sharing :D

thankx for the tips :D

good tips. I never had the courage to go out onto the streets and do photography as I'm afraid that I will be seen as a harassment.

Great read! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, guys :)

Cool.

Mine are very high contrast B&W on Tri-X as well with HC-110. Can see them in my Flickr link. ;)

Good advice, I shoot without hiding like a ninja as well. I like to be upclose ;)

My trick was using a weak mix for a longer dev time (1+64 for 15m @20C). You can't duplicate the texture (grain) with digital but I think I've gotten pretty close with the contrast.

My trick was using a weak mix for a longer dev time (1+64 for 15m @20C). You can't duplicate the texture (grain) with digital but I think I've gotten pretty close with the contrast.

Bro, you gotta try this software for digital B&W, gets you close to B&W film:
http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/usa/entry.php

Actually I would prefer a zoom over a prime for street photography. In trying to capture the moment, the flexibility of a zoom would be more important to me than sharpness or bigger apertures. Spontaneity is more critical than ultimate image quality and you don't have the time to walk closer or further. Just my humble opinion.

Nice tips! Thanks!!! Will definitely keep it in mind...

Just mine personel opinion no offence.
This is especially evident in the 1st photo, the lady upper body look completely darkened by shadow.
Sorry to dig this up but does anyone else feels the same?
Or isit me dunno how to appreciate this kind of photos.
I have no ill intend just a curiousity to find out and know more.
TS, hope you understand. Thanks:cheers: