4th generation CCD -- SR sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ileaf

Mar 28, 2004
Reservoir
Hi,

The above sensors were used in S20 and S7000, and will probably be used in S3 pro also.

On paper, tt is supposed to handle contrast better, with both highlights & shadows being captured by 2 different sensors is a chip. I guess it's something like using a ND filter ;p

So, anyone got any experience on this?

Just one correction on your statement, the S7000 is using the 4th gen SuperCCD HR, a 6MP CCD. The only models that are using the SuperCCD SR are F700, S20Pro (S7000 replacement, but only at 3.14MP, same CCD as the F700), and the upcoming S3Pro (a 6MP, with 12MP interpolated).

I tested a friend's F700 against my S5000, and I have to agree that colour contrast and details are quite noticeable, even on the LCD display. It gives you the feeling that it has more colour depth.

;)

sooming said:
Just one correction on your statement, the S7000 is using the 4th gen SuperCCD HR, a 6MP CCD. The only models that are using the SuperCCD SR are F700, S20Pro (S7000 replacement, but only at 3.14MP, same CCD as the F700), and the upcoming S3Pro (a 6MP, with 12MP interpolated).

I tested a friend's F700 against my S5000, and I have to agree that colour contrast and details are quite noticeable, even on the LCD display. It gives you the feeling that it has more colour depth.

;)

can u post two same image taken with different camera???

sooming said:
S20Pro (S7000 replacement, but only at 3.14MP, same CCD as the F700), and the upcoming S3Pro (a 6MP, with 12MP interpolated).

Just to be picky, although the S20pro is released later than the S7000, I'll say that they are both replacements for the S602. The S7000 is for improved resolution and the S20pro is for improved dynamic response.

sooming said:

;)

hi sooming, thanks for the correction.
wow! if the SR sensor can improve colour depth, it's definitely worth looking forward to S3 pro. hopefully SR sensor will be the digital equivalent of fuji velvia. ;p ;p

btw, does the image taken using SR sensor appear "flat"? some mag commented that...

hi ileaf,

It's hard to really define the images as 'flat'. For the S5000 or even the F700, if you use chrome mode, you get very high saturation of colours esp. RGB. It's almost like using the Fuji Velvia film. Nevertheless, I do encounter some of those shots that look a little 'flat' but they are easily corrected in PS. It's mostly to do with the lighting condition when taking the shots. A UV or Skylight filter will surely make a difference here. I'm using the Cokin UV MC filter. ;)

hi sooming,

thks for the tips on the UV filter thing.

anyone has any photos comparing 4th & 3rd generation CCD sensor?

hi Ristar,

thks for the link. actually i'm more interested in S3 pro (or7D).
that's why wanted to know more results of the SR sensor...

ileaf said:
hi Ristar,

thks for the link. actually i'm more interested in S3 pro (or7D).
that's why wanted to know more results of the SR sensor...

From what I can tell you... for SG... I think you'll have to wait till near the end of the year.... I'm looking forward to that camera as well
;p

RiStaR said:
From what I can tell you... for SG... I think you'll have to wait till near the end of the year.... I'm looking forward to that camera as well
;p

There's been a lot of news and pictures of the S3Pro, but no one has actually seen the real thing. Fuji may release it in the upcoming Photokina 2004. Quality should be good; the S2Pro with 3rd gen SuperCCD 's quality already impresses with very low noise.

;)

Actual I have doubts about noise profile... sensor sensitivity has always been dependent on physical sensor size (i.e. pixel size). With the SR sensor... each pixel location is actually split to two photodetectors... I'm hoping the smaller size doesn't affect ISO sensitivity that much :confused:

EDIT: I just re-read and realize I should be clearer in saying that ISO sensitivity compared with other FFT dSLR sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.