4R printer service for On the spot printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

knpan

May 2, 2006
Singapore
Hi,

Need to get 1 4R printer that can print immediately on the spot that can be connected to a computer (lap top of course) or the camera for my future functions.

Need suggestions to which is the best value for money 4R printer that i can get (Or maybe 1 that can print A5 too) for print on the spot. No need the high end ones. Just the normal ones that show results can already. Main priority is that it MUST NOT fail on the day of the function itself.

For 4r printing papers, where can i get it too ? Normally in bulk.

Cheers

Or you can rent, I have friend whom have a set of 6 selphy printers he rent as a set for on site printing PM me I will give his detail to you.;)

try the sony fp97. quality is good. but i have to give u headsup - these printers take dang slow to print. the last time we had 5 of these printers for 300 people, we were still printing throughout dinner. paperwise gotta use sony so cant really save much on bulk purchase.

I'm using the sony printers, its reliable and decent. If you're doing events, bring 2 printers.

Thank U mates for the respnse, Snow speeder, somehow what u say is true, if 1 printer breaks down, thats it. What model of canon slephy should i get, I will buy 2 canon selphy printers.

Actually the printing speed of these portable printers range from 45 - 60 secs per print. That excludes the 'cooling time' it needs if it is utilized continuously. If your work requires continuous outputs, might wanna consider getting 3 printers. ;)

Hi mate, 2 printers should be enough, as my assistant still managed to do it with 1 printer still, as there will be a need to edit each photo before hand.

the number of printers you need will vary from event to event.

i have used 2 selphy printers for a golf event. basically we have 2 photographers covering the event followed by dinner. so we started printing mid-day exchanging the cf cards and by end of dinner we were still printing.

just to share one key takeaway - is we underestimated the number of copies to print. one picture may need to print more than once depending on how many people are in the picture. so if you have 1 picture but with group photo of 10, we would have printed 10 copies of the same picture for everyone.

I'm having Selphy 400 and the Selphy 730. The selphy 400 is about 10 seconds slower than 730 series.

Technically, the newer models will have better and faster print rate.

Second on the "damn slow". No such thing as "must not fail" either, you'll need to budget for a backup machine.

The next time I do something like that for an event, I'll lug my A3 printer down. Way faster to print and slice. Haha.

Hi,

Need to get 1 4R printer that can print immediately on the spot that can be connected to a computer (lap top of course) or the camera for my future functions.

Need suggestions to which is the best value for money 4R printer that i can get (Or maybe 1 that can print A5 too) for print on the spot. No need the high end ones. Just the normal ones that show results can already. Main priority is that it MUST NOT fail on the day of the function itself.

For 4r printing papers, where can i get it too ? Normally in bulk.

Cheers

Hi,

I have another company doing on-site printing with 4R prints from FujiFilm ASK2000 machines. It's a industrial dyesub machine and prints in 8seconds per 4R. Drop me an email if you wish to rent it.

Best
Wesley

that is why i want to get 2 printers so that it will not fail me on the day itself. Thanks for the inputs, seems like Canon Sephy is the best value for budget

try Marksman Pte Ltd 67477117 look for wendy, industry dye sub printer cost around 3k cost per print about 20cents fast and good quality print

Hi Knpan

Having done on site printing myself in 2 separate events, here are some important things to share:

1. Assistant
Ensure your assistant, a must to have (at least 1 guy) is competent in printing, ie he should know how to trouble shoot even.

2. Color:
I bump up the brightness about one notch up. The print is usually a bit underexposed fr what you see on screen. You gotta test run first way before hand and can set it at default.

3. Transimission
I shoot with 4 CF cards. When I shoot about 10-20 shots, I pass it to assistant to download and print and concurrently I return to shoot others.

4. Timing
Selphy E3 or higher - faster and slightly nicer color. about a minute each photo.
Selphy 780 - slightly slower and color not as nice.
(Take into consideration of of pauses when there is a "queue" in prints)

Hence, you have to tell your client that photos are to be collected at the end of event...and sometimes, you may not even be able to finish printing...so - contingency, for guests who have to leave earlier, photos are to be passed to your client / someone who can send to them via mail , or some other contingency you need to pre-empt your client.

5. Number of pieces
I trust you are giving them a package of "x" no. of photos. If it exceeds, then you should charge additional... its your cost.

6. Requests from guests
I told my client that if there are guests who request for their own CF card to print, we will politely tell them that this is reserved for in-house photographer only...as there are people who will ask for it.

7. If I have a choice
Given a choice, I would select a higher end printer that can print faster. As Selphy is still considered slow, about 60 secs per piece. But I like the emulsion finish and lamination almost like those that you get from photo studios.

All the best!

4. Timing
Selphy E3 or higher - faster and slightly nicer color. about a minute each photo.
Selphy 780 - slightly slower and color not as nice.
(Take into consideration of of pauses when there is a "queue" in prints)

Hence, you have to tell your client that photos are to be collected at the end of event...and sometimes, you may not even be able to finish printing...so - contingency, for guests who have to leave earlier, photos are to be passed to your client / someone who can send to them via mail , or some other contingency you need to pre-empt your client.

7. If I have a choice
Given a choice, I would select a higher end printer that can print faster. As Selphy is still considered slow, about 60 secs per piece. But I like the emulsion finish and lamination almost like those that you get from photo studios.

All the best!

Good advice on pt 7

As to pt 4. Seriously why should the client pay for instant when they cannot get it instantly. It defeat the purpose of instant print isn't it

Seen many a times event companies will tell client "instant printing" and get the selphy type of printing and after-which could not deliver the "instant prints" but similar situation like what was said "contingency, for guests who have to leave earlier, photos are to be passed to your client / someone who can send to them via mail , or some other contingency you need to pre-empt your client."

To me instant print means
eg. A VIP gave an opening address and when he finishes and goes back to his table there is already a 4R print w/folder of him(delivering is speech) on the table. Another example is when the award recipient goes up the stage to receive his award and less than one minute after he returns to his table he received his photo at the table. This is achievable not with selphy type of printers but a single Fuji film, Noritsu and Sony industrial dyesub machine and prints in 8seconds per 4R.

Of course for budget type of events over-promising instant print is not uncommon hence any printer will do. Afterall how many times the same client will be needing instant printing - aka hit and run.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.