4MP and 8R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoppable

Apr 28, 2003
Serangoon
Been looking around for a DC and looking a the prices, 4mp prosumer cams look like a good buy. As I sometimes print in 8R, how would 4mp pictures look?

A well taken 4MP JPG file should have no problem in printing to 8R. I've personally tried to enlarge it to 13"x19" and print using inkjet printer. No obvious pixelation at close inspection. Looks good.

If using lab print, it should be better.

One tip, try to minimise hand-shake by using an appropriate shutter speed. Usually the guide(not rule) of using 1 / focal length for shutter speed is a good estimate, but really dependent on the ability of the photographer to steady his shot. Experiment and find out. :)

Stoppable said:
Been looking around for a DC and looking a the prices, 4mp prosumer cams look like a good buy. As I sometimes print in 8R, how would 4mp pictures look?

It's acceptable, which is of course highly subjective. I've printed a A4 ( close to 8R ) photo from a 4MP pic taken by a G3. At arms length, it looks reasonably sharp. But on closer inspection, it was apparent that the pic was somewhat soft. This is worsened by the mild distortion near the edges of the photo, giving a slightly blurry look at the edge.

Note that this was early in my liason with digicams, and I had not sharpened or leveled the pic with PS. No doubt the results would be much better had I done so. Could have also tried upsampling it first before printing, which I'm sure would have done a better job then letting the printer driver do it.

CaeSiuM said:
One tip, try to minimise hand-shake by using an appropriate shutter speed. Usually the guide(not rule) of using 1 / focal length for shutter speed is a good estimate, but really dependent on the ability of the photographer to steady his shot. Experiment and find out. :)

OT????????????

mpenza said:
generally, you need to do some post processing to sharpen the pics before printing.

I agree with mpenza that some processing is needed. :) It's not just simply shoot then send for print.

zekai said:
OT????????????

no... in a sense, it's related. careful choosing of shutter speed can help. eg, a 2MP camera producing a good 8R print. the details are blown up, meaning those handshake "blur" is magnified also.

mervlam said:
no... in a sense, it's related. careful choosing of shutter speed can help. eg, a 2MP camera producing a good 8R print. the details are blown up, meaning those handshake "blur" is magnified also.

of course it is related in a way, a bit far lah. i might as well cont. abt tripod stability. I think caesium really post wrongly.

Don't believe the camera marketers. A 2mp camera from 1999 can easily produce a good 8x10" given that proper techniques are used. A 3-4mp camera should easily give you a good 10x15". And don't be obsessed with looking at prints 10cm away, via a 10x loupe, etc etc.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
Don't believe the camera marketers. A 2mp camera from 1999 can easily produce a good 8x10" given that proper techniques are used. A 3-4mp camera should easily give you a good 10x15". And don't be obsessed with looking at prints 10cm away, via a 10x loupe, etc etc.

Regards
CK

My exact sentiments.

Thanks for all your comments.
So I gather that alot depends on skills. It would also mean that shaky hands would result is poor large prints even for film camera.

Since I do not have that problem with flim, I reckon that it would be ok for me to go shop around for a 4 mp DC.

ckiang said:

Regards
CK

Can elaborate on the "proper techniques"?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.