ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Sorry wrong date - should be 041110

On TV news just now at 9.30pm one of the departing passengers said "Give me a Boeing anytime".
I agree.
I like the 747 and the 777.

The other plane? After viewing a TV documentary of how it is made, did not get a lot of confidence. Different countries want to make a part, so that each country's workers (the politician's political base) do not lose out. Not sure if this is the best way to do plane manufacturing design + engineering.

The difference is that when Boeing makes it, ONE company from ONE country calls the shots on design, engineering and manufacturing decisions, even if the parts come from various suppliers.
With the other plane, it may be a delicate political balancing act amongst a few countries in a continent.

Last edited:
engine on plane is not made by plane manufacturer.
You don't go after toyota if your goodyear blew. And you certainly don't go after airbus if the rolls royce blew.

LOL !! Thank God there's nothing Made in China......
Not exactly, some Airbus A320s are also assembled together in Tianjin, China.

The next aircraft you fly in, be it Airbus or Boeing could also be maintained, repaired or overhauled in a China-based facility with Chinese made components. :bsmilie:

Now I understand why I am what I am, cause I was made in China...........

Sorry wrong date - should be 041110

On TV news just now at 9.30pm one of the departing passengers said "Give me a Boeing anytime".
I agree.
I like the 747 and the 777.

The quote is "If it ain't boeing I'm not going" and was a phrase from the 1990's when boeing was losing business.

FYI, the ENGINE is up to the airlines. Quantas chose Rolls Royce, which is also the main engine supplier for the 747-400 and 777 nowadays (it used to be the Pratt & Whitney JT9D)

Last edited:
too coincidence..........smells fishy ...... parcel bombs intercepted earlier this week ........ now Quantas jets getting into engine problems almost 2 days in a row.... and wow , the bombs were headed to UK and France on US carriers ........ someone dont seem to like the US and her friends.

Last edited:
engine on plane is not made by plane manufacturer.
You don't go after toyota if your goodyear blew. And you certainly don't go after airbus if the rolls royce blew.

if airbus plane was using rolls royce engine and it blew, i will go after airbus.

ANOTHER quantas jet returned to Singapore because of engine trouble... and this time it's a 747-400!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/05/singapore.qantas/index.html?hpt=T2
As what I had previously mentioned in the other thread, there was also a similar uncontained turbine failure in the No. 04 Rolls-Royce RB211-524 starboard side engine of VH-OJP, a Qantas Airways (QFA) Boeing 747-438 operating as flight number 74 from San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to Sydney Airport (YSSY) on the 30th of August 2010 just 2 months and 7 days ago.

Certain areas on the underside of the wing as well as a segment of the triple-slotted trailing-edge flaps was punctured by ejected debris as well.

Anyway, jet engine problems such as compressor stall and even compressor surge are not that uncommon and the Pilot-In-Command (PIC) of the aircraft will often issue a Pan-Pan or Mayday call and land the aircraft immediately as a precautionary measure.

if airbus plane was using rolls royce engine and it blew, i will go after airbus.

Why? When it's the airline that chooses the engine? Go back to the car example... If Toyota says you can use goodyear or bridgestone, and you use goodyear and the tire bursts, why go after Toyota?

As what I had previously mentioned in the other thread, there was also a similar uncontained turbine failure in the No. 04 Rolls-Royce RB211-524 starboard side engine of VH-OJP, a Qantas Airways (QFA) Boeing 747-438 operating as flight number 74 from San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to Sydney Airport (YSSY) on the 30th of August 2010 just 2 months and 7 days ago.

Seems to be an issue with the RR engines...

Why? When it's the airline that chooses the engine? Go back to the car example... If Toyota says you can use goodyear or bridgestone, and you use goodyear and the tire bursts, why go after Toyota?

car example is different...tyres that needs to be replaced after purchase of car are left to the owner's choice so if the tyre blows you go after goodyear.

likewise if airline chooses goodyear tyres on their planes during replacement and it bursts, airline goes after goodyear, not plane manufacturer.

however, when you purchase the plane, your sales and purchase agreement is with airbus, which in turn would sub-contract the parts out to different manufactuers.

so you go after airbus and airbus goes after rolls royce.

however, when you purchase the plane, your sales and purchase agreement is with airbus, which in turn would sub-contract the parts out to different manufactuers.

so you go after airbus and airbus goes after rolls royce.
Errr..., no....

Choice in aircraft powerplant is left to the discretion of the purchaser. The Engine Alliance GP7270, Rolls-Royce Trent 970/B and Rolls-Royce Trent Trent 972/B high bypass turbofans are offered as options in the case of the Airbus A380.

Last edited:
Errr..., no....

Choice in aircraft powerplant is left to the discretion of the purchaser. The Engine Alliance GP7270, Rolls-Royce Trent 970/B and Rolls-Royce Trent Trent 972/B high bypass turbofans are offered as options in the case of the Airbus A380.

yes option to choose but that is irrelevant. the question is who are the counterparties to the agreement?

Aircraft deals is not buying a home appliance. Choice of engines is up to customer. Sometimes customer purchases the engines himself and airframe maker just slaps them on. In most cases the airframe maker will only certify the their own airframe works with engines chosen, how the engine behaves is not much their problem.