450D or D90

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_kelvinsg

Apr 9, 2006
Singapore, Singapore
Hi all,

Since this is a newbie corner, im gonna ask something really basic.

I'm looking for an entry level camera and am stuck between the 450D and the D90. I love doing mainly portrait shots. Not so much of a landscape fan though. Can someone advise?

Yes, do a search. "Which camera, X or Y" pops up all the time. Since both cameras will give you the results your want, please do a search on DSLR buying tips.

FYI: Doind a search first is in the forum guidelines too.

I'm looking for an entry level camera and am stuck between the 450D and the D90. I love doing mainly portrait shots. Not so much of a landscape fan though. Can someone advise?

my question would then be

why these 2? :)

my question would then be

why these 2? :)

well initially i was settling for the 450d cus it was like the best entry level camera at a good price. then my dad decided to share the load. so i thought that the next better model will be a d90. i did some "450d vs d90" search online and ran thru some forums. was told that in terms of performance, d90 is better. a friend also told me that nikon is better for portrait shots and canon is good for landscape. needed to confirm therefore i posted my queries here! :)

a friend also told me that nikon is better for portrait shots and canon is good for landscape. needed to confirm therefore i posted my queries here!

Rubbish. Your friend is waaaay off.

Also, do try to look beyond the C and n camp. The winners for best entry-level camera don't come from those camps. ;)

well initially i was settling for the 450d cus it was like the best entry level camera at a good price. then my dad decided to share the load. so i thought that the next better model will be a d90. i did some "450d vs d90" search online and ran thru some forums. was told that in terms of performance, d90 is better. a friend also told me that nikon is better for portrait shots and canon is good for landscape. needed to confirm therefore i posted my queries here! :)

i won't really classify d90 together with 450d, even without kit, the d90 costs more than the 450d with already.

all cameras can take portrait shots and landscape shots well - what matters is your understanding of photography and aptitude to usage of the camera.

more importantly is you understand the pros and cons of buying into a system; there are many things to look out for, like lens range (since you cannot use a canon lens on nikon system, and vice versa), cost-factor, features in-camera (for example, NONE of these 2 brands have inbody shake reduction), handling.

different people have different preferences with regards to these. that should be the thing you should be looking out for, instead of finding out which is better for landscape or portraits.. because there is no such thing.

there are so many brands out there, including sony, pentax, olympus, panasonic even.

a few points from my point of view

1) canon and nikon have a great range and availability of lens in singapore. you can also expand all the way up to more advanced cameras if you so choose in the future (like the nikon d3 or mark dIII from canon). the question is of course, if you would even go that far as a normal user. features include better frame-per-second capability, etc.

2) canon and nikon lenses are more distinctly divided in terms of price and quality, i.e. you have to pay more for excellent lenses compared to consumer grade lenses.

3) the four-thirds cameras are notably smaller (for entry level)

4) many of the other brands are more nicely priced when you consider the amount of features you get for your buck, see shake reduction point above

5) canon entry level dslrs usually present a problem for people with larger hands in terms of handling, but you should try it out for yourself rather than taking my statement at face value.

6) pentax has great lenses at relatively affordable prices compared to other brands, but they are hard to find.

the list can really go on, my advice is to either join the user groups here on their individual outings, and find out firsthand what the camera is like, etc. read more online reviews, although with a pinch of salt.. weigh the pros and cons, try out the cameras.. weigh your finances, before making a decision.

Last edited:
tink since ur the ONE buying and shooting, try out both... see which suits u better... if friend's says and blindly follow... no point... dont think a good picture is just depend on brands and body alone... ;)

i've tested on my friend's 350D and am pretty comfortable with it. But I've yet to try any of Nikon's cus none of my friends does Nikon. But I heard that Nikon's interface is better.

is d90 itself significantly way better than 450D? in terms of performance? i know most forums don't really give a definite answer cus its subjective to the user itself. but has anyone tried both and could share?

i've tested on my friend's 350D and am pretty comfortable with it. But I've yet to try any of Nikon's cus none of my friends does Nikon. But I heard that Nikon's interface is better.

is d90 itself significantly way better than 450D? in terms of performance? i know most forums don't really give a definite answer cus its subjective to the user itself. but has anyone tried both and could share?

the ones who tried both and took the 450d will give you positive feedback on canon

the ones who tried both and took the d90 will give you positive feedfback on nikon

so you're back at square one

I would suggest u do a comparison on the specs to find out the technical aspects of the camera. From there, you see which are the features you think you want/need.

If you don't understand what the specs mean, do a bit of research (this forum might be have enough info, other than that, you will surely find what you need on the internet).

All that done, you have to go to the shop try out the cameras yourself. Your friend doesn't have Nikon, no worries. Go to the recommended shops (you can find this in the consumers sub-forum here). There, you can play with all the Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax and what not. See how you like the built, how it feels in your hands, the user interface etc..

All these are variables which different people will tell you differently based on personal preferences (which is why asking such a subjective question here is useless). Every camera has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Then, with all the research and 'feeling' done, it's left with you having to make the decision which camera to buy. And only you can make this decision, because it's your own money, and no use listening to others (especially the salesmen sales pitch).

Good luck with your purchase.

PS: As night86mare said, your understanding of photography will matter more when it comes to taking pictures. Take a look at the gallery section here. I will guarantee you cannot tell which picture is taken by any particular camera. Not to mention all the post-processing that can be done (photoshop etc. ) which can further enhance your original image.

perhaps by understanding the principles of photography and your shooting style/desired subjects can help you decide which system to buy into.

otherwise, you'd be oblivious to the differences and they're more or less the same.

It doesn't matter. In the end, it's like a religion. Once you buy into one, you'll start being a fanatical zealot and deluding yourself that your brand is best, and start to evangelicise about it. See how the "Nikon sucks, Canon Rules!" replies elsewhere.

I think D80 and 450D would be a better comparison. But, either way, go to the shops and try it out, see which one feels better. You are the one using it, not us here.

If you compare 450D to D90, buy D90
If you compare D90 to 50D , buy 50D,
If you compare 50D to D700, buy D700.

If you compare 450D to D90, buy D90
If you compare D90 to 50D , buy 50D,
If you compare 50D to D700, buy D700.

If you compare D700 to A900, buy A900.
If you compare A900 to Hasselblad, get Hasselblad.

It just goes on and on and on...

It doesn't matter. In the end, it's like a religion. Once you buy into one, you'll start being a fanatical zealot and deluding yourself that your brand is best, and start to evangelicise about it. See how the "Nikon sucks, Canon Rules!" replies elsewhere.

yea...right. :sweat: People who become like that weren't sane to begin with! :bsmilie:

This is a good enough reason for you to sway towards Canon. Peer support is important in photography. Unless you're so confident that you may sway some of them towards Nikon.

That's why there is no right or wrong. By shooting Nikon, you will be the odd one out in your group of peers. Even if Nikon is a superb system, you will find it difficult to use because your peers will be telling you to try settings based on their Canon system. It will be quite discouraging if you don't get the results they are getting.

Both are good systems with good optics, so choosing either one will not go wrong. It's for you to try out both systems and go with what you feel comfortable with. Even having said the above about the system your peers are using, eventually it boils down to your own preference because you are the one who is going to use it.

Anyway, the thing about Nikon and Canon is that they stagger their bodies so that there is no direct apple to apple comparison between the bodies, so it's like one model fall somewhere in between the other brand's 2 other bodies, and not eating into each other's slices of the pie.

Last edited:

I heard that canon is better for indoor shoot and portrait and nikon is good for landscape, my friend said :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.