450D AF assist light problem

JJLoke

Aug 2, 2009
Hi guys, my 450D AF assist light in the viewfinder suddenly is not working. Only the top point shows a faint red light during focusing.

Does any one know how much the service charge cost ? From the website it stated $80 <40 mins and $120 >40mins.

Gonna cost me $ when Im saving up for a new camera. :(

Without the point lights still ok for me, but looks weird through the viewfinder.

Worth to repair the camera? or just continue to save up for a next cam?

Last edited:
Hi guys, my 450D AF assist light in the viewfinder suddenly is not working. Only the top point shows a faint red light during focusing.

Does any one know how much the service charge cost ? From the website it stated $80 <40 mins and $120 >40mins.

Gonna cost me $ when Im saving up for a new camera. :(

Without the point lights still ok for me, but looks weird through the viewfinder.

Worth to repair the camera? or just continue to save up for a next cam?

i thought AF assist light is the orange light hahaha. isnt it AF confirmation light?

first: check ur AF. is it on ai servo? mine is a bit odd in the sense it cant focus in lowlight on ai servo, hence redlight seldom lights up, almost none.

then check ur view finder... is it damaged? the focusing screen. i removed mine and i dun see the AF lights either. fs repair is cheaper

lastly. just bring down to CSC for a quote. if u dun want they wont charge u. but diagnoising ur camera costs 4 bucks:rolleyes: nikon is free i heard

i called them this morning. diagnostic is free if i didnt remember wrongly. u remove the fresnel lens above the mirror?

now my viewfinder is dirty too

The viewfinder has no assist light, but the AF confirmation. Could you please check with your manual to find out what exactly is not working? We can only do wild guessing if you don't use the right terms.
The 'top point' sounds like the AF point(s) - AF point(s) will lit up red once focus is achieved. Depending on your AF point settings you'll see either one or more points coming up red.
Putting all this together, it sounds as if your AF points are not properly working, could be a contact issue between the focus screen (that's where they are embedded) and the central board. Go to CSC and have it checked. A new focus screen doesn't costs a bomb, cleaning is even cheaper.

did you accidentally set it to manual af point select and the top af point being selected?

sorry yes its the af indicator not assist. got it mixed up. went to csc and they say the focus screen is damaged. oh well.

How much does a new screen cost?

sorry yes its the af indicator not assist. got it mixed up. went to csc and they say the focus screen is damaged. oh well.

That should be very cheap to replace. User can replace it DIY too. not too hard.

where can i get the focusing screen for 450D in Sg? I only know the XXD and XD series allows user to change the FS.

I was quoted S$35 for the service and part replacement. Viewfinder pretty banged up with dust, shall see what they can do.

where can i get the focusing screen for 450D in Sg? I only know the XXD and XD series allows user to change the FS.

I was quoted S$35 for the service and part replacement. Viewfinder pretty banged up with dust, shall see what they can do.

$35? that is cheap. Just get it done in CSC.

$35? that is cheap. Just get it done in CSC.

the FC itself is actually cheap. sub 20 on ebay.

i managed to learn how to remove it:bsmilie: just couldnt wait for the ebay one cause i was shooting yog when i damaged it. hence csc