420ex + soften omnibounce

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST_sg

Mar 23, 2004
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
Hi all,

I'm very new in this flash photography, and one question would like to ask all gurus here :embrass:

If my 300D mounted with 420ex (with Soften Omnibounce), for shooting group of people at night, is it advisable to point the flash head direct to front? Or the result would be better if tilt it upwards 45 or 60 degree?

Again thanks much for your reply and tips :)

Cheers!

ST_sg said:
Hi all,

I'm very new in this flash photography, and one question would like to ask all gurus here :embrass:

If my 300D mounted with 420ex (with Soften Omnibounce), for shooting group of people at night, is it advisable to point the flash head direct to front? Or the result would be better if tilt it upwards 45 or 60 degree?

Cheers!

I advice you not to get 420 with 300D, cos no FEC. Try to get 550EX if you can afford it. I'm not trying to make you spend more money, but one of my friend got the same combination and most of his pics turned out dark. Got to hack it to get FEC +2/3 steps. In the end, he changed to 550EX.

Virgo said:
I advice you not to get 420 with 300D, cos no FEC. Try to get 550EX if you can afford it. I'm not trying to make you spend more money, but one of my friend got the same combination and most of his pics turned out dark. Got to hack it to get FEC +2/3 steps. In the end, he changed to 550EX.
Already bought the 420ex 2 days ago liao :eek:

Think I have to do lots of FEL for tomorrow BBQ shooting liao :think:

ST_sg said:
Already bought the 420ex 2 days ago liao :eek:

Think I have to do lots of FEL for tomorrow BBQ shooting liao :think:

Try to use high ISO and point direct, but not too close, since you won't want your shots to overexpose.

If on omnibounce, tilt to 45 degrees.

ST_sg said:
Hi all,

Cheers!

I have the same set up as you. The Omnibounce instruction suggests that you tilt the flash 45 degrees.

With or without the Omnibounce, I always try to bounce the flash off the wall or ceiling where possible as I absolutely hate those shadows created by a direct flash.

If there is nothing suitable to bounce the flash off, then bo bien, have to point the flash direct liao.

Hope that helps. :)

Digiman said:
I have the same set up as you. The Omnibounce instruction suggests that you tilt the flash 45 degrees.

With or without the Omnibounce, I always try to bounce the flash off the wall or ceiling where possible as I absolutely hate those shadows created by a direct flash.

If there is nothing suitable to bounce the flash off, then bo bien, have to point the flash direct liao.

Hope that helps. :)

Agree. If got ceiling, then use bounce flash without omnibounce. If no ceiling, use omnibounce. This is what I always do. Try not to use direct unless you cannot find ceiling and omnibounce shots turned out dark.

get a a4 white card and point at upwards. use the card to bounce the light much softer and better.

wah... thank you for all your valuable advises.
Since I already have the omnibounce, I'll attach it and tilt 45 degrees. Unless the shoot is indoor, then I'll try the ceiling approach. :)

Btw, if the omnibounce attached, is the ceiling approach still applicable?

Thanks again :embrass:

errr... by the way, just to correct you, its the Sto-fen Omnibounce, not Soften Omnibounce... hehe..

ST_sg said:
Since I already have the omnibounce, I'll attach it and tilt 45 degrees. Unless the shoot is indoor, then I'll try the ceiling approach. :)

if you shoot at the ceiling, no need for the omni bounce.

Hmm.. :think:
I ve the exact configuration as you!!
300D + 24-85 + 420EX!! :bsmilie:

I too got the omni bounce.
However, my friend suggested to use a white card instead.
Tilt the flash about 60 degree upward.
You would bounce partial flash on the subject and on the ceiling as well.
This would too reduce the harsh effect of the flash.

OT a bit..
Try getting 50mm f/1.8.
Cost around $150-$160.
Maybe a bit slow and noise compared to USM lens.
Good for low light condition.
IMO: Produce sharp pictures too :thumbsup:

Have fun BBQing!! ;)

Belle&Sebastain said:
really the ommi bounce is an white elephant for me! :think:

Haha.. :bsmilie:
That's true..
It is well kept in the 420EX box now.. :sweat:

darkblaster77 said:
Haha.. :bsmilie:
That's true..
It is well kept in the 420EX box now.. :sweat:

Wah piangz... BUY BUY BUY, then KEEP KEEP KEEP :devil:

$$$ not enough lah, still have 512MB 40x CF, 50mm F/1.8, 4xAA lithium rechargable batt+charger at my waiting list... :cry:

nickmak said:
yea... its white, but not that big, but if used correctly can do wonders...

a piece of cheap artcard can do miracles for less than $0.40 if you can make do with most of what you have.

ST_sg said:

Since you have the omnibounce, why not make full use of it instead of storing it in the box? Good shots taken with this or not depend on how to use it.

A lot of guys use the omnibouse, tilt it 45 degrees and point the camera so near to the subject that most of the photos appeared over-washed. Try to take 1-2 testing shots and adjust your focal length and distance between your cam and the subject. Then take your shots. Should get very well exposed shots afte a few tries. Once you're experienced enough, you'll get vrey well exposed shots first time round. If not, there's always the good old Photoshop to correctly exposed your shots.

Omnibounce is Omnibounce, ceiling approach is ceiling approach. Don't mix them. Try also to take note of the colour of the ceiling. White is perfect for ceiling shots. A little bit yellowish still OK. High ceiling, dark-coloured ceiling: :nono: Then try the omnibounce instead.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.