420EX on D60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Apr 14, 2003
Sengkang
it has been well reported that both the 1st generation Canon DSLR (D30 and D60) have very slow low light AF. I am wondering if I am to use a 420EX flash on either of them, will it help in the AF under dim light conditions?? :dunno:
If so, is it better to invest in a D60 (2nd hand) instead of a 10D and use the extra cash for other accesoories?? :dunno:

Belle&Sebastain

Jun 27, 2002
here
www.9frames.com
Damien said:
it has been well reported that both the 1st generation Canon DSLR (D30 and D60) have very slow low light AF. I am wondering if I am to use a 420EX flash on either of them, will it help in the AF under dim light conditions?? :dunno:
If so, is it better to invest in a D60 (2nd hand) instead of a 10D and use the extra cash for other accesoories?? :dunno:
if you use the 420 on any DSLR in low light, it will help speed up the autofocus.

what is the difference between a D60 and 10D in terms of price now? Frankly if you compare in prices D30 is your best value for buck. If you teasure its camera strengths over i think a used 10D is a fantastic camera in its own right.

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
Belle&Sebastain said:
if you use the 420 on any DSLR in low light, it will help speed up the autofocus.

what is the difference between a D60 and 10D in terms of price now? Frankly if you compare in prices D30 is your best value for buck. If you teasure its camera strengths over i think a used 10D is a fantastic camera in its own right.
D30? the last i saw on here and yahoo!auctions, they are going for anywhere bet $900-$1200. :think: D60, bet $1600-$2K (on yahoo)... sheesssh.... belle&sebastain, wat do u think? i know u told me in another thread to hold and wait for 10D to come down further. so, guess i also like damien, better hold on?

Belle&Sebastain

Jun 27, 2002
here
www.9frames.com
nightwolf75 said:
D30? the last i saw on here and yahoo!auctions, they are going for anywhere bet $900-$1200. :think: D60, bet $1600-$2K (on yahoo)... sheesssh.... belle&sebastain, wat do u think? i know u told me in another thread to hold and wait for 10D to come down further. so, guess i also like damien, better hold on?
my comment remains, i really think 10D is one of the most fantistic camera to own this recent years. :thumbsup: for me at least! If i ever get a 20D, that is because i need two cameras to work or the 3D never comes. Really between a D60 and 10D if the price difference is less than $400, i rather get the 10D

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
Belle&Sebastain said:
my comment remains, i really think 10D is one of the most fantistic camera to own this recent years. :thumbsup: for me at least! If i ever get a 20D, that is because i need two cameras to work or the 3D never comes. Really between a D60 and 10D if the price difference is less than $400, i rather get the 10D
thanks for ur comments! :thumbsup: coming from a pro, i appreciate an honest opinion. :thumbsup:

i think i need to ask my wife to lock my ATM cards up b4 i fall for the tempation to get a 2nd DSLR body.... :bsmilie:

Damien

Apr 14, 2003
Sengkang
Ya lor.
Only a couple of months ago, I did not even place 10D on my wish list, now the prices drop like hell, it is already on the top of my list!! :bsmilie:
Now hoping Canon to put a decent price tag on the 20D which will inevitably affect the 2nd hand price of 10D!! :)

Back to my thread's qn, if 420EX can really help in the low light AF of D60, will it totally eliminate all those complaints of low light focusing speed?? :dunno:

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
i think 420ex only helps for the centre af point, dont think it will assist the 2 side af point. anyway, centre af is most sensitive ( ie cross sensor), so with or without external af assist from flash, in low light, always use centre af.

Belle&Sebastain

Jun 27, 2002
here
www.9frames.com
nightwolf75 said:
thanks for ur comments! :thumbsup: coming from a pro, i appreciate an honest opinion. :thumbsup:

i think i need to ask my wife to lock my ATM cards up b4 i fall for the tempation to get a 2nd DSLR body.... :bsmilie:
wait a minute before ppl start blasting me, i'm not a PRO photographer, YET. My fulltime business is running alongside a local fashion company dealing with menswear. I do shoot for others and my company's fashion catalog from time to time.

I'm just like you, photography lover. i do not own any fancy exotic lenses yet but the 85 1.2 just appeared from my dreams and i cannot get to sleep yet because of it. :bsmilie:

but i hope that does not change your option of the 10D, cos i really like my copy.

Damien

Apr 14, 2003
Sengkang
denniskee said:
i think 420ex only helps for the centre af point, dont think it will assist the 2 side af point. anyway, centre af is most sensitive ( ie cross sensor), so with or without external af assist from flash, in low light, always use centre af.
Actually I dun really appreciate cameras with so many sensors (maybe I havent discover the use of other sensors). So far Ive only been using the centre af point on my EOS5, focus lock then framing. SO maybe the D60 is just enought for me...

WIth canon coming out with cameras with more and more focusing points (from 3 in D30/D60 to 7 in 10D to 9 in 20D), just wondering is the focusing ability of a camera related to the number of focusing points? :dunno:

darkblaster77

Dec 21, 2003
denniskee said:
420EX can support up to 7 AF points (550EX up to 45 AF points)
So I believe 420EX will still cover the 2 AF points at the sides..

Status
Not open for further replies.